- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Metabolic medicine
- Video & Telephone remote therapy sessions
Dr Rakhi Seth is a Consultant Rheumatologist at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust where she leads the Early Inflammatory Arthritis service, in a centre that was awarded the European centre of excellence award (EULAR) in 2015.
Dr Seth offers patients a unique, efficient and comprehensive service to diagnose and effectively manage any musculoskeletal condition, with the aim of improving symptoms, and optimising quality of life.
Dr Seth is an expert in the diagnosis and management of gout, and has published Cochrane systematic literature reviews and international guidelines on how best to manage the condition. She also has a clinical interest in the diagnosis and management of inflammatory arthritis (including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis), osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and autoimmune connective tissue diseases such as lupus.
She completed an MSc in musculoskeletal ultrasound to support her interest in the use of ultrasound in detecting and treating inflammatory arthritis earlier to achieve disease remission and improve outcomes.
She also performs ultrasound-guided joint and soft tissue injections, ensuring the highest level of accuracy and safety for her patients.
Dr Seth is actively involved in research into new therapies including biological therapies for the treatment of inflammatory arthritis and lupus.
She is available for private consultations at the Nuffield Health, Bournemouth Hospital and the Spire Southampton Hospital.
Areas of interest
Inflammatory arthritis; Rheumatoid arthritis; Psoriatic arthritis; Ankylosing spondylitis; Crystal arthritis; Osteoarthritis; Osteoporosis; Autoimmune connective tissue diseases such as lupus.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Dr Rakhi Seth is a Consultant Rheumatologist at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust and also works at Lymington New forest Hospital
Dr Seth is an expert in the diagnosis and management of gout, and has published Cochrane systematic literature reviews and international guidelines on the how best to manage the condition.
She is actively involved in research into new therapies including biological therapies for the treatment of inflammatory arthritis and lupus.
Dr Seth enjoys sport, especially watersports, and spending time with her family and friends.
The Rheumatology Centre at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust has been awarded the 'European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) centre of excellence award’ in 2015 and the British Society of Rheumatology Best practice outstanding award for the Biological therapies service in 2013.
1. Seth R, Kydd A, Falzon L, Bombardier C, van der Heijde D, Edwards CJ. Preventing attacks of acute gout when introducing urate-lowering therapy: a systematic literature review. The Journal of Rheumatology, September 2014.
2. Kydd A, Seth R, Buchbinder R, Falzon L, Edwards CJ, van der Heijde D, Bombardier C. Urate Lowering Therapy for the Management of Gout: a summary of two Cochrane reviews. The Journal of Rheumatology, September 2014.
3. Seth R, Kydd A, Buchbinder R, Bombardier C, Edwards CJ. Allopurinol for chronic gout. Cochrane systematic literature review, October 2014.
4. Kydd A, Seth R, Buchbinder R, Edwards CJ, Bombardier C. Uricosuric medications for chronic gout. Cochrane systematic literature review, November 2014.
5. Sivera F, Andres M, Carmona L, Kydd A, Moi J, Seth R et al. Multinational evidence-based recommendations for the diagnosis and management of gout: integrating systematic literature review and expert opinion of a broad panel of rheumatologists in the 3e initiative. Annals of Rheumatic Disease, July 2013.
Courses offered to GPs
Dr Seth is often invited to give talks to GPs, Consultants, Nurse specialists, Physiotherapists and patients on interesting topics in rheumatology, including inflammatory arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis), gout and osteoporosis.
Details of forthcoming talks are available on her website: www.wessexrheumatology.co.uk
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.wessexrheumatology.co.uk
Patient satisfaction survey at UHS, based on a national questionnaire produced by Commissioning for Quality in Rheumatoid Arthritis (CQRA), showed that 100% of patients felt that they were treated with respect and individually. 90% felt that were involved in their treatment as much as they wanted and 98% felt their care was good or excellent.
- BSc (Biomedical Science) University of Southampton 2004
- BM University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust 2005
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2009
- MRCP Rheumatology Royal College of Physicians, London 2013
- MSc Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Bournemouth University 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Rheumatology and General Internal Medicine, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
Medical Protection Society (MPS)
British Medical Association (BMA)
British Society of Rheumatology (BSR)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Rakhi Seth