- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 21 Apr 2020
- Sexual and reproductive healthcare
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Kirana Arambage is a Consultant Gynaecologist specialising in Advanced Minimally Invasive Gynaecological Endoscopic Surgery.
He works at the BSGE accredited Endometriosis Care and Research Centre (which is one of the busiest endometriosis centres in the UK) in Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He is an Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Oxford.
He has completed RCOG accredited, specialist training in Advanced Laparoscopic/Hysteroscopic (key-hole surgery) Surgery at John Radcliffe Hospital following his postgraduate medical training in the London and Eastern deaneries. He has also completed an MSc in Advanced Gynaecological Endoscopy, with Merit, based at the University of Surrey.
Mr Arambage won BSGE and RCOG Bernhard Baron travelling fellowship to train in centres of excellence in France (Strasbourg, Rouen) and in Australia (Royal Women's Hospital - Melbourne).
He provides pelvic ultrasound scans which allow him to offer ONE-STOP clinics for most conditions.
He is a senior member of council on the British Society.
Mr Arambage is a co-author for the latest Cochrane review of the surgical treatment of endometriosis. He is also co-authored an European guidelines on the management of distension media in operative hysteroscopy and the RCOG consent guideline for laparoscopic surgery. He has written book chapters.
He has chaired and presented in many national and international conferences.
These activities help him achieve his goal of driving innovation and providing the safest, evidenced based care in the field of benign gynaecology.
Areas of interest
• Endometriosis / pelvic pain
• Stage 4 / advanced endometriosis involving bowel, bladder and ureters
• Menstrual (heavy periods) and menopausal disorders
• Ovarian cysts
• One-stop clinics
• Laparoscopic excision of rectovaginal/bladder/utereteric endometriosis with extensive adhesiolysis
• Laparoscopic (keyhole) Hysterectomy
• Laparoscopic fibroid removal/Myomectomy
• Laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy and oophorectomy
• Outpatient hysteroscopy/biopsy/polypectomy
• Mirena and coil insertions
Charity work – Endometriosis UK
Family trips, playing badminton and cricket
• Premium Medical Protection
• British Medical Association
• Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
• British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
• European Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
• American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopist
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
John Radcliffe Hospital
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Mar 2014 – present
Endometriosis clinical studies
Gynecological endoscopic simulation
involve in charity work in the UK and overseas
Bernhard Baron Travelling Scholarship - RCOG members award 2016
Cochrane Incentive grant 2013 - Duffy JMN, Arambage K, Correa FJS, Olive D, Farquhar C, Garry R, Barlow D, Koninckx PR, Jacobson TZ; Cochrane review on Laparoscopic Surgery for Endometriosis
BSGE travel scholarship: for the training under Prof. A. Wattiez in Strasbourg - IRCAD - Endometriosis and advanced MAS Centre/EITS in Strasbourg, France
Best video presentation – Bronze prize – BSGE, ASM in Norwich
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Sinhala, Sinhalese - Native or bilingual
Brierley, G, Arshad, I, Shakir, F, Visvathanan, D, Arambage, K. Vascular injury during laparoscopic gynaecological surgery: a methodological approach for prevention and management. The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist (2020); https://doi.org/10.1111/tog.12664
Umranikar, Sameer & Saridogan, Ertan & Clark, Thomas & Miligkos, Dimitrios & Arambage, Kirana & Torbe, Emma. (2018). BSGE/ESGE guideline on management of fluid distension media in operative hysteroscopy. The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist. 20. 10.1111/tog.12503.
Supramaniam, Prasanna & Mittal, Monica & Davies, Rebecca & Lim, Lee & Arambage, Kirana. (2018). Didactic lectures versus simulation training: a randomised pilot evaluation of its impact on surgical skill. Gynaecological Surgery. 15. 10.1186/s10397-018-1053-5.
Duffy JMN, Arambage K, Correa FJS, Olive D, Farquhar C, Garry R, Barlow D, Koninckx PR, Jacobson TZ; Cochrane review on Laparoscopic Surgery for Endometriosis – published on Cochrane database 04.2014
Horace Roman, Kirana Arambage, Geoffroy Pasquier, Emmanuel Huet, Benoit Resch Deep rectal shaving followed by transanal disc excision (STARR procedure) in large deep endometriosis of lower rectum - Journal of Minimal Invasive Gynaecology 01/2014
Bignall, Jenine & Arambage, Kirana & Vimplis, Sotirios. (2014). Endometriosis: A rare and interesting cause of recurrent hemorrhagic ascites. BMJ case reports. 2014. 10.1136/bcr-2013-010052.
Horace Roman, Kirana Arambage, Geoffroy Pasquier, Emmanuel Huet, Benoit Resch - video article on combined laparoscopic and hysteroscopic approach to bladder endometriosis – Journal of Minimal Invasive Gynaecology 01/2014
Wedisinghe L, Jayakody K, Arambage K, Wernicke's encephalopathy: a preventable cause of maternal death. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 72(1):31-4 (2011)
Tsivos D, Arambage K, Malik F, Hagan P, Lee C (2009) A life-threatening uterine inversion and massive postpartum haemorrhage caused by placenta accrete during Caesarean section in a primigravida: a case report. Cases J. 2009 Feb 12;2(1):138.
Muthukrishna S, Yusuff H, Naidu M, Baru J, Arambage K, Sathanandan M (2007). Serum anti-mullerian hormone an inhibin B in disorders of spermatogenesis. Fertil. Steril. (87)
Courses offered to GPs
1) Current management and early diagnosis of endometriosis
2) management of menstrual symptoms
3) One-Stop clinic for patients with abnormal PV bleeding problem
4) Early pregnancy bleeding
5) Latest on Fibroid management
6) Let's refresh - clinically related laparoscopic pelvic anatomy and pathology
- MRCOG RCOG 2009
- MSc in Advanced Gynaecological Endoscopy University of Surrey 2014
- Training in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery related to the management of patients with severe endometriosis IRCAD, Strasbourg, France 2013
Reference number 6083459
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair - awards and bursaries portfolio / Senior Council Member British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Premium Medical Protection
British Medical Association
Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists (AAGL)
- The Manor Nuffield Hospital, Oxford OX3 7RP
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 07863 573987
- The new Foscote Hospital, Banbury, Oxford
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 07863 573987
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details