- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Dr Obuaya graduated from Royal Free & University College Medical School in 2005. He also has an International Health BSc from University College London, was awarded an MBA with Merit from Imperial College London and has attained the Cardiff University/Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate.
Dr Obuaya completed his training in General Adult Psychiatry in London, where he works as a Consultant Psychiatrist in the NHS. His main areas of special interest are primary care psychiatry and the mental health of refugees and asylum seekers. He has also co-authored papers in peer-reviewed journals on culture-bound syndromes and service development.
Dr Obuaya regularly compiles medico-legal reports for criminal and civil Courts, including immigration proceedings and the Court of Protection. He is actively involved in postgraduate and undergraduate teaching in mental health as well as the commissioning of primary and secondary care health care services.
Areas of interest
Mood Disorders (Bipolar Disorder & Depression); Anxiety Disorders, particularly PTSD; Psychosis; Eating Disorders; Perinatal Psychiatry
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Psychiatrist, Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust
primary care psychiatry
1. Ayonrinde, O. A., Obuaya, C., Adeyemi, S. O (2015) Brain fag syndrome: a culture-bound syndrome that may be approaching extinction. Psychiatric Bulletin, 39, 156 - 161.
2. Obuaya C, Stanton S, Baggaley M (2013) Is there a crisis about crisis houses? J R Soc Med 106: 300
3. Obuaya C, Punchihewa V, Tully R (2007). Postoperative management of patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome British Journal of Anaesthesia 98: 696-696
4. Obuaya C (2003). International submissions to journals. Lancet 361
5. Obuaya C (2002). Reporting of research and health issues relevant to resource poor countries in high- impact medical journals. European Science Editing 28 (3): 72-77
Courses offered to GPs
Primary care psychiatry
Updates on use psychotropic medication
Treatment of personality disordered patients in primary care
Management of mood disorders in primary care
- MBBS Royal Free & University College London Medical School 2005
- BSc International Health University College London 2002
- MRCPsych Royal College of Psychiatrists 2010
- MBA Imperial College London 2013
Reference number 6130193
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secondary Care Doctor Governing Body Member Brent Clinical Commissioning Group 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Approved Clinician; Section 12 approved (Refresher) 2014
University of Cardiff/ Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate in 2011
Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: chi-chiobuaya