- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
- Pain medicine
I am a Consultant in Pain Medicine working at a large teaching hospital, with my substantive post starting in 2015. I assess and treat patients with long-term pain conditions and acute exacerbations of pain conditions.
My main interests are in the management of fibromyalgia, arthritis, back pain, pain after surgery and nerve-type pain.
Every week I perform interventional pain medicine procedures that include trigger point injections, epidurals, nerve blocks, specialised injections for shoulder and knee arthritis and radio frequency ablation.
I work within a multi-disciplinary team and have good working relationships with physiotherapists and psychologists.
I have a specialist interest in the management of patients with complex chronic chest pain, including refractory angina.
Areas of interest
Fibromyalgia; Osteoarthritis; Back Pain; Refractory Angina; epidural injection; nerve blocks; shoulder pain; knee pain
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Pain Medicine
Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust
Opioids in Pain Management
Mackintosh Prize (top marks in Fellowship of the Royal College of Anaesthetists examinations)
FFPMRCA Prize (top marks for Fellowship of Faculty of Pain Medicine examinations)
• Malhotra R, Johnstone C, Halpern S, Hunter J, Banerjee A. Duration of motor block with intrathecal ropivacaine versus bupivacaine for caesarean section: a meta-analysis. International Journal of Obstetric Anaesthesia 2016 [epub ahead of print]
• Malhotra R, Kelly S. Wearing facemasks when performing lumbar punctures: a snapshot of current practice amongst trainee doctors. Local and Regional Anesthesia 2010; 3: 133-135
• Malhotra R, Kelly S. A survey of aseptic technique when performing lumbar puncture: a comparison of medical and anaesthetic trainees. British Journal of Medical Practitioners 2012; 5 (1): 503
• Malhotra R. A survey of intensive care units: first line drug therapy for delirium. Journal of the Intensive Care Society 2012; 13 (2): 173-174
• Clinical aspects in acute limb compartment syndrome. Rajiv Malhotra, Nikolaos Giotakis. Mercers Textbook of Orthopaedics, 10TH Edition (2012)
• Joint Arthrodesis. Nikolaos Giotakis, Rajiv Malhotra, Muhammed Arshad Nazar. Mercers Textbook of Orthopaedics, 10TH Edition (2012)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists Royal College of Anaesthetists, UK 2011
- Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine Royal College of Anaesthetists, UK 2015
- Pain Medicine Fellowship Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust 2014
Reference number 6140651
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Medicines Management Group committee Royal Liverpool University Hospital 2019
- Pain Education Group British Pain Society 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register (GMC), 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine
Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists
Member of the Mersey Pain Group
Member of the Mersey Pain Medicine Standards and Training Committee
Local Educational Supervisor for Higher and Advanced Pain Medicine trainees (Mersey Deanery)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.