- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Devices: implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Reporting of echocardiography
I have been working as consultant cardiologist at the Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation trust since 2015. I am also visiting consultant cardiologist at Nottingham city hospital, Nottingham and Royal Stoke Hospital, Stoke on Trent. I have gained membership of the Royal College of Physicians of London in 2007. I have completed my training in general cardiology with the acquisition of specialist skills in complex cardiac rhythm device implantation, cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging and heart failure from Bristol Heart institute, Bristol. I have a particular interests in general adult cardiology, heart failure, modern cardiac imaging with echocardiography and cardiovascular magnetic resonance, heart rhythm disorders and complex cardiac pacing including cardiac resynchronisation and defibrillator therapy. I have a developing interest in inherited cardiac conditions, non-invasive assessment of coronary artery disease and cardiac CT. I am a certified cardiac device specialist by Heart Rhythm Society, USA and have level 3 accreditation for cardiac magnetic resonance imaging by European society of cardiology. In addition, I am accredited by The British Society of Echocardiography (BSE) in adult trans-thoracic echocardiography.
I provide full assessment of patients with all aspects of heart disorders including investigation and management of breathlessness, ankle swelling chest pain, palpitations, arrhythmias, AF, blackouts, dizziness and fainting. Procedures that I perform regularly include echocardiography (contrast, stress, trans-oesophageal echo), cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, pacemaker and defibrillator (ICD) implantation, and also cardiac resynchronisation therapy (for the treatment of heart failure).
Areas of interest
Cardiac Imaging particularly Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Heart Failure including advance treatments in Heart Failure
Pacemakers and Defibrillator
Congestive cardiac failure, Palpitations, Dizziness and Syncope , Arrhythmia (heart rhythm disorder) Angina (chest pain), Diseases of the heart valves, Uncontrolled Hypertension (high blood pressure), Myocardial infarction (heart attack), High Cholesterol, Shortness of breath, Coronary artery disease
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist University Hospitals Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
New therapies in Heart failure.
New non-invasive techniques in assessment of Angina and Coronary artery Disease.
• Increasing age does not affect time to appropriate therapy in primary prevention ICD/CRT-Ds: a competing risks analysis
Wilson DG *, Zeljko HM , Leventopoulos G , Ahmed N , Sylvester GEH1, Yue A , Roberts PR , Thomas G , Duncan ER ,
Roderick PJ , Morgan JM . Europace. 2016 Apr 28. pii: euw034
• Demographic and Clinical Characteristics to Predict Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation: Insights from an Implantable Loop Recorder Population.
Frontera A, Carpenter A, Ahmed N, Fasiolo M, Nelson M, Diab I, Cripps T, Thomas G, Duncan E.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2015 Oct;38(10):1217-22.
• The Role of Cardiac MRI in Patients with Troponin-Positive Chest Pain and Unobstructed Coronary Arteries.
Dastidar AG, Rodrigues JC, Ahmed N, Baritussio A, Bucciarelli-Ducci C. Curr Cardiovasc Imaging Rep. 2015;8(8):28.
• Clinical Predictors of Pacemaker Implantation in Patients with Syncope Receiving Implantable Loop Recorder with or without ECG Conduction Abnormalities.
Ahmed N, Frontera A, Carpenter A, Cataldo S, Connolly GM, Fasiolo M, Cripps T, Thomas G, Diab I, Duncan ER.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2015 Aug;38(8):934-41
• Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in Octogenarians: Outcomes from a single centre retrospective study
Wilson DG, Ahmed N, Nolan R, Frontera A , Thomas G, Duncan ER. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2015 Apr 1;15(1):4-14
• Premature Ventricular Beats Initiate Recurrent Ventricular Fibrillation in Early Repolarisation Syndrome.
Ahmed N, Frontera N, Thomas G, Duncan E. J Arrhythm. 2015 Apr;31(2):114-5
• Prevalence and Significance of Early Repolarisation Pattern ECG in Patients with Syncope.
Frontera A, Carpenter A, Ahmed N, Fasiolo M, Sathianarayana N, Diab I, Cripps T, Thomas G, Duncan E. Int J Cardiol. 2014
• Spontaneous Tricuspid Leaflet Partial Patch Closure of a Muscular Ventricular Septal
Defect- A case report.
N Ahmed, A G Dastidar, C Lawton, C Bucciarelli-Ducci. OMICS J Radiol 3:166
• Early Repolarisation Syndrome - An Overview and Recent Expert Consensus Statement by Heart Rhythm Society (HRS), the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA), and the Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society (APHRS). N Ahmed ( Editorial for British Heart Rhythm Society website)
Courses offered to GPs
I regularly deliver update session to Gp's and regular faculty of Good Medical Courses
Reference number 6092980
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.