- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Jun 2020
Mr Sharma is part of Sheffield Orthopaedics Ltd (SOL), proudly in partnership with Claremont Private Hospital. In addition to Claremont's CQC accreditation, SOL has it's own CQC accreditation and is part of Claremont's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on-call consultant cover provision for inpatients. SOL Consultants are integral to the reduced length of stay Claremont patients enjoy, compared to other providers.
Mr Sharma is Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Barnsley Hospital, with a private practice at Claremont.
Sanjeev graduated from the University of Delhi in 1996. Following this he started his career as a junior doctor in Mersey deanery before moving to South Yorkshire. During this time, he pursued Masters in Orthopaedic Surgery from the University of Liverpool. Since his appointment as registrar in Sheffield in 2006, he has excelled throughout his training. During his registrar training he was fortunate to be trained by eminent arthroplasty surgeons like Mr John Getty. He won the national Medal (Arthur Edward Burton Memorial prize) for best performance at the FRCS Orth. exam in 2009. He has presented his research at national and international level and has published several articles in peer-reviewed journals.
Sanjeev undertook the prestigious Sir John Charnley arthroplasty fellowship for one year at Wrightington Hospital under the supervision of Prof. Peter Kay and Prof. Martyn Porter. He has also undertaken a Trauma Fellowship with Prof. Chris Moran at Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham which helped him develop an expertise in managing complex fractures around hip and knee joint replacements.
Sanjeev has undertaken additional fellowships in his sub-specialty at Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Hospital, Oswestry; Hospital for Special Surgery, New York; Helios Endo-Klinik, Germany and the MAYO CLINIC, Rochester, Minnesota.
He was appointed as consultant at Barnsley Hospital in 2012. He specialises in primary and revision hip & knee joint replacements, peri-prosthetic fracture management and knee arthroscopy. He is the clinical audit lead and royal college tutor looking after the training needs of junior doctors in his department. He is an assigned educational supervisor (AES) for orthopaedic specialist registrars in the South Yorkshire rotation. He is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer for the University of Sheffield and an examiner for the Medical School. He has a keen interest in training and is a faculty on national training courses.
Areas of interest
Hip and knee pain; osteoarthritis; rheumatoid arthritis;
Hip and knee arthritis; Total knee replacement;
Total hip replacement;
Revision of failed total hip replacements;
Total knee replacement;
Revision of failed total knee replacements;
Knee Arthroscopy; menisectomy; meniscal tear; patella femoral shaving; lateral release; fractures; Trauma;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Trauma & Orthopaedics
Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Barnsley, S75 2EP
Total Hip Replacement
Total knee Replacement
Arthur Edward Burton Memorial Prize (Gold Medal) - FRCS Orth. 2009
Aesculap Travelling Fellowship- Hospital for Special Surgery; New York, 2010
John Charnley Arthroplasty Fellowship - Wrightington Hospital, 2011
(Additional) Languages spoken
1. A prospective randomised trial of minimally invasive versus conventional posterior approach for total hip arthroplasty. University of Liverpool July 2005
2. Role of unreamed intramedullary interlocking nailing in various types of diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. University of Delhi April 1998
1. Implant failure & analysis. Sharma S, Wynne-Jones C Oswestry Basic Sciences FRCS 4th Ed
2. Avascular Necrosis. Sharma S, Banerjee R
Oswestry Basic Sciences FRCS 4th Ed
1. Introduction and follow-up of new implants.
Sharma S et al Orthopaedics and Trauma 2012;26 (4)
2. What can we learn from joint registries?
Lammin K, Sharma S, Porter M Orthopaedics & Trauma 2012;26 (4)
1. Primary total hip replacement for acute displaced subcapital femoral fractures with a minimal of 3-year follow-up. Sharma S et al
Hip International 2005;15
2. Early results with the thrust plate prosthesis in young patients with osteoarthritis of the hip.
Sharma S et al Acta Orthop Belgica 2005; 71(2)
3. Use of telephone interviews to follow-up patients following total hip replacement.
Sharma S et al Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 2005; 11
4. Metal-on-Metal total hip joint replacement- a minimum of 5 year follow-up. Sharma S et al
Hip International 2007; 17
5. Uncemented Metal-on-Metal Acetabular component. Minimum follow-up of 5 year of 112 hips. Vassan UT, Sharma S et al
Acta Orthop 2007; 78(4)
6. Humeral shaft fractures treated by the unreamed interlocking method. Lal Y, Sharma S et al Indian J Orthop 1999; 33
7. Simultaneous gluteal and forearm compartment syndrome- an unusual case. Rampurada A, Sharma S et al. Injury Extra 2007; 38 (3)
8. A glass foreign body in the knee joint mistaken for ACL avulsion- an unusual case. Sharma S, Rampurada A KSSTA 2007; 15(6)
9. Use of olive-tipped wire with molded antibiotic loaded cement spacer in 2-stage revision
hip arthroplasty aids in removal- a technical tip.
Das P, Sharma S, McWilliams G Annals RCS England 2007; 89 (2)
10. The role of arthroscopy in the management of chronic wrist pain. G. Verma, S Sharma et al
Internet J Ortho Surg 2008; 9(2)
11. Dorsal cortical comminution as a predictor of redisplacement of distal radius fractures in children. Sharma S et al Injury 2011; 42(2)
12. Total hip replacement through a posterior approach using a 22 mm diameter femoral head:
V. Kumar, S. Sharma et al Bone Joint J 2014 96-B
- MBBS University of Delhi 1995
- MRCS RCS Edinburgh 2003
- MCh Orthopaedics University of Liverpool 2005
- FRCS Orthopaedics Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2009
- Visiting Fellowship Endo Klinik, Hamburg 2014
- Aesculap Travelling Fellowship Hospital for Special Surgery, New York 2010
- Senior Trauma Fellowship Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham 2013
- John Charnley Arthroplasty Fellowship Wrightington Hospital 2012
- Hip & Knee replacement fellowship Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Hospital, Oswestry 2011
Reference number 5208944
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Training, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
British Orthopaedic Association
British Hip Society
- 401 Sandygate Road SHEFFIELD S10 5UB
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 0114 263 0330
- 401 Sandygate Road SHEFFIELD S10 5UB
- 15:00 - 18:00
- 0114 263 0330
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Sanjeev Sharma- 07792238761
Secretary to Mr S Sharma- 0114 2632115
Resident Medical Officer, Claremont Hospital- 01142630330
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: Sanjeevsharma