- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
Mr Mohan is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon in trauma and orthopaedic surgery with a special interest in upper limb surgery. He provides specialist operative and non-operative treatments (joint injections) of various conditions of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hands. He uses the latest diagnostic tools such as digital radiography, 3D CT, Spect CT, MRI arthrography, Dynamic ultrasound and electromyography in the management of his patients.
He treats all aspects of hand and wrist problems including carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, Dupuytren’s contracture, TFCC repair, wrist instability, arthritis of various hand and wrist joints. He uses keyhole (Arthroscopic) surgery to treat various shoulder conditions like rotator cuff repair, shoulder instability, frozen shoulder, rotator cuff impingement, ACJ arthritis, elbow and hand and wrist problems. He has a specialist interest in resurfacing and total joint replacement of shoulder, elbow and hand and wrist. Mr Mohan specialises in upper limb trauma with using more bone specific plating systems for better outcomes.
Mr Mohan trained on the Southwest Thames orthopaedic rotation. He completed two distinguished fellowships in the UK including the hand and wrist fellowship at Chelsea and Westminster and upper limb fellowship at Wrightington Hospital gaining experience in all aspects of upper limb surgery including advanced experience in shoulder and elbow surgery.
He is married to a Consultant Dermatologist and outside medicine his time is taken up looking after his two young children.
Areas of interest
Shoulder surgery; Shoulder arthroscopy; shoulder arthroplasty; shoulder trauma; Shoulder instability; sports injuries
Elbow surgery; elbow arthroplasty; elbow replacement; elbow trauma; tennis elbow; golfers elbow; sports medicine; Platelet rich plasma injection
Carpal tunnel decompression; Hand arthritis; Hand trauma; Dupuytrens contracture; Trigger finger; Cubital tunnel release; wide awake hand surgery; hand and wrist trauma; collagenase injection for Dupuytrens disease; hand and wrist joint replacements; trapeziectomy; wrist arthroscopy; hand and wrist ligament repair and reconstruction; sports medicine
- Allie Hankin
- Shirley Oaks Hospital Poppy Lane Croydon CR9 8AB
- 07411 556131
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Mohan K Vellalapalayam Sathyamoorthy Fee Assured
- Dr Sheetal Jafri Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic and Upper Limb Surgeon
Croydon University Hospital NHS Trust
Upper limb arthroplasty
Simulation in Orthopaedic Surgery
Patient reported outcome measures
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Native or bilingual
- Urdu - Native or bilingual
1) Radiographic and Computed Tomography Correlation of Kienböck's Disease: Is There a Need to Revisit Staging with Improved Imaging?
A Mohan, R Knight, H Ismail, Ian Trail. J Wrist Surg 2020; 09(01): 039-043
2) Patient functional outcomes with trapeziectomy alone versus trapeziectomy with TightRope. Journal of Orthopaedics. Dec 2015 12 (2) 161-165. A Mohan, M Shenouda, T Sarkhel.
3) Using a Tightrope to treat a complex trapezial fracture. M Shenouda, A Mohan and T Sarkhel. Annals of Royal College of Surgeons Eng 2014; 00: e1–e3doi10.1308/003588414X14055925057996
4) Southampton Dupuytrens Scoring System. A Mohan, J Vadher, H Ismail and D Warwick. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery. Journal of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery, 2014, Vol. 48, No. 1, Pages 28-33.
5) Do we need a national registry for wrist and hand arthroplasty?A Mohan, R Agha and V Nunez. International Journal of Surgery, 2013, 11 (1) 4-5.
6) Pain and paraesthesia produced by silicone ring and pneumatic tourniquets. A. Mohan, A. Baskaradas, M. Solan and P. Magnussen. J Hand Surg (Er) March 2011 36: 215-218.
7) Virtual reality- a ‘play station of the future’- A review of virtual reality and Orthopaedics. A Mohan. M Proctor. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, 2006 Dec; 72(6): 659-63.
8) Correspondence in response to article- Early unreamed intramedullary nailing without a safety interval and simultaneous flap coverage following external fixation in type III B open tibial fractures: A report of four successful cases. Injury 2007 Jan; 38(1); 250-51.
9) Neuroblastoma of the hip- a case report. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, 2006 Oct; 72(5): 651-2.
10) ‘How NICE is your fracture’: Mr A Mohan. Osteoporosis International (2006) 17(3), 426.
11) Correspondence -‘Surgical and psychological outcomes in the rural injured a follow-up study of the 2001 earthquake victims’; Roy, Shah, Patel et al. Injury 2006 May; 37(5): 468.
12) Bone densitometry: A Review Article. A Mohan, Bassi JL JK Science, 2002; 4(1):3-7.
13) The management of distal humeral fractures with open reduction and internal fixation. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, 2001; 35(4):230-233.
Courses offered to GPs
Articles written for the GPs
1) Overuse injuries of wrist: Mr A Mohan- GP, May 2007.
2) Sporting injuries of the wrist: Mr A Mohan- GP, April 2007.
3) Sporting injuries of the hand: Mr A Mohan- GP, November 2006.
4) Sporting injuries of the elbow: Mr A Mohan- GP, 6 October 2006; 35.
5) Sporting injuries of the shoulder: Mr A Mohan, Mr M Goss- GP, 1 September 2006; 28.
I do regular talks on various aspects of Hand, Wrist, Shoulder and Elbow surgery for the GPs and AHP
- MS (Orthopaedics) Punjab University India 2002
- Dip Sports and Exercise Medicine (UK) Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2009
- FRCS (Tr&Orth) Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2011
- Hand and Wrist Fellowship Chelsea and Westminster Hospital 2012
- Upper Limb Fellowship (Shoulder and Elbow) Wrightington Hospital 2014
Reference number 6063060
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Orthopaedic Educational Lead Croydon University Hospital 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
British Elbow and Shoulder Society
British Society of Surgery of Hand
Fellow of Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh
- Croydon Day Hospital
- 17:30 - 18:30
- 020 3126 4620
- North Downs Hospital
- 09:00 - 11:30
- 01883 348981
- North Downs Hospital
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01883 348981
- Shirley Oaks Hospital
- 13:30 - 16:00
- 020 8655 5500
- St Anthony's Hospital
- 18:30 - 19:30
- 020 3553 1778
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details