- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Electrophysiology complex cardiac ablation
- Electrophysiology simple cardiac ablation
- Transthoracic echocardiography
Dr Phan is a consultant cardiologist with expertise in electrophysiology and cardiac device implantation. He performs catheter ablations for cardiac arrhythmias such as supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) and atrial flutters as well as complex catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation (AF) and ventricular tachycardia (VT). He is experienced in general cardiology with expertise also in cardiac pacing and defibrillators. He has performed over a 1000 Ablations and Device implantations procedures.
He has accreditation in electrophysiology and cardiac devices in the UK (BHRS). He has an extensive publishing record with 34 scientific papers in high-impact factor journals as well as 46 abstracts. He has performed a large number of scientific presentations at a national and international level (BCS, BHRS, ESC, ACC and AHA).
Areas of interest
Cardiac arrhythmia - palpitations
Syncope - blackouts
Atrial fibrillation ablations
Ventricular tachycardia ablations
General cardiology (chest pains, breahlessness)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist in Electrophysiology and Devices
Royal Stoke University Hospital
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
BHF Project Grants
Medtronic Educational Grant
(Additional) Languages spoken
1. Phan TT, Abozguia K, Nallur SG, Mahadevan G, Ahmed I, Williams L, Dwivedi G, Patel K, Steendijk P, Ashrafian H, Henning A, Frenneaux M. Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction is characterized by dynamic impairment of active relaxation and contraction of the left ventricle on exercise and associated with myocardial energy deficiency. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009;54(5):402-409
2. Phan TT, Shivu GN, Abozguia K, Davies C, Nassimizadeh M, Jimenez D, Weaver R, Ahmed I, Frenneaux M. Impaired Heart Rate Recovery and Chronotropic Incompetence in Patients With Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction. Circulation Heart Failure 2010;3(1):29-34.
3. Phan TT, Shivu GN, Choudhury A, Abozguia K, Davies C, Naidoo U, Ahmed I, Yousef Z, Horowitz J, Frenneaux M. Multi-centre experience on the use of perhexiline in chronic heart failure and refractory angina: old drug, new hope. European Journal of Heart Failure 2009;11(9):881.
4. Phan TT, Abozguia K, Shivu GN, Ahmed I, Patel K, Leyva F, Frenneaux M. Myocardial Contractile Inefficiency and Dyssynchrony in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction and Narrow QRS Complex. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2010;23(2):201-206.
5. Phan TT, Abozguia K, Nallur SG, Ahmed I, Leyva F, Patel K, Frenneaux M. Increased atrial contribution to left ventricular filling compensates for impaired early filling during exercise in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Journal of Cardiac Failure 2009;15(10):890-897
6. Phan TT, Shivu GN, Abozguia K, Gnanadevan M, Ahmed I, Frenneaux M. Left ventricular torsion and strain patterns in heart failure with normal ejection fraction are similar to age-related changes. European Journal of Echocardiography 2009;10(6):793-800.
7. Phan TT, Shivu GN, Abozguia K, Ahmed I, Henning A, Frenneaux M. (31)P magnetic resonance spectroscopy to measure in vivo cardiac energetics in normal myocardium and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Experiences at 3T. European Journal of Radiology 2010; 73(2):255-259. (Joint FIRST AUTHOR)
8. Phan TT, Saima Khan, Muhammad Muzaffar Mahmood, Sudha Mani, Vineet Wadehra, Mark de Belder, Andrew Thornley, Simon James, Nicholas J Linker, Andrew J Turley. The 7-Year Teesside Experience of Primary Prevention ICD Indications Following Primary PCI (PPCI) And The Potential Impact Of The Change In NICE Guidance. Open Heart. 2015 Apr 24;2(1):e000153
- MBChB (Hons) University of Birmingham 2002
- BMedSc (Hons) First Class University of Birmingham 2000
- PhD University of Birmingham 2010
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 2005
- Certification in Cardiac Implantable Devices British Heart Rhythm Society (BHRS) 2014
- Certification in Cardiac Electrophysiology British Heart Rhythm Society (BHRS) 2014
- Accreditation in Adult Transthoracic Echocardiography British Society Of Echocardiography 2012
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) ECFMG 2012
Reference number 6048980
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology - GMC specialist register, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
British Heart Rhythm Society (BHRS)
- Newcastle Road STOKE-ON-TRENT ST4 6QG
- 14:00 - 15:00
- 01782 675972
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details