- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Breast surgery
I am an NHS Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon with specialist expertise in the management of breast conditions, breast cancer and reconstruction.
My NHS practice is based at New Cross Wolverhampton and I offer breast services to patients primarily in the West Midlands partnering with Nuffield Health Wolverhampton and Spire Healthcare Parkway Solihull.
I trained at Royal Free & University College London and then undertook further postgraduate training in London and the West Midlands. I have undertaken specialist training in breast cancer and reconstructive surgery including the prestigious National Oncoplastic Breast Fellowship regarded as the gold standard for breast reconstructive training in the UK. This fellowship is restricted by competition to a select few breast and plastic surgeons each year.
I am passionate about continuing to improve personal and UK practice in breast surgery through scientific analysis and endeavour. My professional roles include the professional clinical advisor in surgery for the NHS breast screening programme, ensuring surgical standards for the treatment of screen detected breast patients in the West Midlands. I am also a steering member of the national group undertaking multicentre research into the practice of implant based breast reconstruction to improve patient outcomes and the patient experience (Implant Breast Reconstruction Evaluation Study).
1.Assessment and management of benign breast conditions.
2.Assessment and management of suspected breast cancer.
3.Full range of breast cancer surgical techniques including wide local excision with or without localisation, mastectomy and axillary surgery including sentinel lymph node biopsy.
4.Oncoplastic procedures to complement breast conserving cancer surgery to optimise cosmetic result (including therapeutic mammaplasty(reshaping of the breast tissue)).
5.Extensive Range of breast reconstruction surgical techniques including implant based reconstruction with or without biological mesh and LD (back flap) reconstruction, fat grafting and nipple reconstruction and areola tattooing.
6.Range of symmetry procedures including breast reduction and mastopexy(uplift).
Areas of interest
Benign Breast Conditions; Breast Cancer; Breast Surgery; Breast Reconstruction; Oncoplastic breast surgery; family history assessment; risk reducing surgery
Anaesthetists worked with
Mr Senthurun Mylvaganam has worked with Dr Robert William O'Brien at the following hospitals:
- Spire Parkway Hospital (1-5)
- Professional Website: http://www.mybreastsurgeon.org
- Spire Parkway Solihull: https://www.spirehealthcare.com/consultant-profiles/mr-senthurun-mylvaganam-c6077829/
- Nuffield Health Wolverhampton: https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/consultants/mr-senthurun-mylvaganam
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon
Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust
Breast Oncoplastic Surgery
Clinical Education and Training
I live in Solihull with my wife and 2 children. I enjoy spending time with my family but also in my spare time playing tennis and golf!
1.Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology BSc (1st Class Hons)
2.Bachelor of Surgery and Medicine MBBS
3.Master of Arts in Medical Education MA
4.Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh MFST
5.Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons England FRCS
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Tamil - Basic
A selection of my publications include
1. A national survey of breast trainees on the implications of the 2013 ISCP curriculum and the Greenaway report
Mylvaganam S Ward E Rattay T Henderson J
Bulletin of the Royal College of Surgeons of England Apr 2016
2. Phylloides tumours of the breast: Best practice for follow-up
Mylvaganam S Frank L Toro C Vestey S Thrush S
Updates in Surgery 2015 Mar 11: 67 (1);91-5
3. Poly Implant breast implants (PIP) and the rupture risk in asymptomatic patients: A warning for greater clinical suspicion in assessment and counselling, Case report
Mylvaganam S Taylor R Thrush S
Journal of Surgical Case Reports 2013 Vol 2013;rjs044-rjs044
4. Emergency Operative Training and Peer Learning in Practice
Clinical Teacher 2011 Vol 8:2 pg 126-127
5. Cost Effectiveness and the Choice of Surgical Consumables in Day Surgery:
The Role of Surgeons.
Mylvaganam S, Higenbottam C, Fowler TA, Purser N
The Journal of One Day Surgery 2010 Vol 20:3; 72-75
1. The iBRA study: A national multicentre audit of the practice and outcomes of implant based breast reconstruction. Abstract
Potter S Holcombe C Mylvaganam S Thrush S Whisker L Skillman J
European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2014: 40 (11); S168-9
2. The iBRA study: A national multicentre audit of the practice and outcomes of implant based breast reconstruction with or without lower pole support. Abstract
Potter S Holcombe C Mylvaganam S Thrush S Whisker L Skillman J
Journal of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery 2014: 67 (10); 1467-8
3. Workplace based assessments (WPBA) in General Surgery: Do they represent a chance to learn? Abstract
Gaunt A, Rusius V, Patel A, Mylvaganam S, Fallis S, West Midlands Research
British Journal of Surgery 2013:100(S7): 91
1. The Training of Surgeons: Current Approaches and the Implications for Learning in the Operating Theatre
Lambert Publishing ISBN 978-3-8433-6297-9
1. Consensus guidelines on breast operation note documentation
David Browell, Jane Ooi, Seni Mylvaganam, Elixabeth Shah, Anne Tansley, Tim Davidson, Rhodri Williams, Keiran Horgan no behalf of ABS council
2. Guidelines on anitbiotic prophylaxis in breast surgery
Michael Douek, Senthurun Mylvaganam, Jane Ooi, Jennifer Rusby, Elizabeth Shah, Philip Turton, Rhodri Williams, Kieran Horgan on behalf of the ABS council
Courses offered to GPs
Treatment of breast cancer
Oncoplastic breast surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery MBBS Royal Free and University College London 2003
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons Royal College of Surgeons of England 2013
Reference number 6077829
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Royal College of Surgeons Clinical Tutor Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust 2016
- UK Foundation Programme Educational Supervisor Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust 2016
- West Midlands Breast Expert Advisory Group Member West Midlands Breast Expert Advisory Group 2016
- Association of Breast Surgery Council Member as President of UK Breast Trainees Association ( Mammary Fold) Association of Breast Surgery 2014
- Professional Clinical Advisor in Surgery for National Breast Screening Programme (West Midlands) Public Health England 2016
- Core Surgery Training Programme Director Bimrngham and Black Country Health Education England 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC Specialist Register for General Surgery, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Association of Breast Surgery
Royal College of Surgeons of England
British Medical Association
Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland
- 1 Damson Parkway SOLIHULL B91 2PP
- 15:00 - 18:00
- 0121 704 1451
- Wood Road Tettenhall WOLVERHAMPTON WV6 8LE
- 10:00 - 12:00
- 01902 267732
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Nuffield Health Wolverhampton Switchboard 01902 267570
Spire Parkway Solihull Switchboard 0845 8501451