- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Queen Anne Street Medical Centre .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
Mr Gokulan Ratnarajan is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at the world famous Eye Unit in Queen Victoria Hospital.
Mr Ratnarajan brings innovation in glaucoma and cataract care to the UK to help treat glaucoma patients with safer and more effective treatments.
Mr Ratnarajan graduated from University College London and completed his Ophthalmology training in Oxford. He has completed a MD research degree in at The Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. He has completed three specialist fellowships in glaucoma and anterior segment surgery at The Oxford Eye Hospital, The Western Eye Hospital in London and the world renowned fellowship at the University of Toronto, Canada, where he has learnt and developed many new glaucoma surgeries, some of which are not available in the UK at present.
Glaucoma is a chronic condition requiring long-term treatment and follow-up. Patients appreciate Mr Ratnarajan’s gentle and empathetic approach. He takes the time to explain the diagnosis to his patients so they understand their condition and why they need to take their treatment.
Areas of interest
Glaucoma diagnosis: Glaucoma medical management: Glaucoma laser treatment: Comprehensive Glaucoma surgical treatment including the full range of minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS): Cataract surgery with use of premium lens implant: Combined cataract and glaucoma surgery using the latest surgical devices.
- Dawn Reilly
- Frant Road Clinic 65 Frant Road Tunbridge Wells TN2 5LH
- 01892 619797
- Joanna Fihelebon
- Queen Anne Street Medical Centre 18-22 Queen Anne Street London W1G 8HU
- 0800 197 8808
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Glaucoma surgical innovation
- Cataract surgical innovation
- Optimising patient pathways for glaucoma and cataract care.
Playing sport especially tennis
UK Cataract Surgery aware 2015: Gold Medal
UK Cataract Surgery award 2015: Best paper
UK Glaucoma Society 2015: Best Poster
1. Yusuf IH, Ratnarajan G, Kerr RS, Salmon JF. Normal-Tension Glaucoma and Low Cerebrospinal Fluid Pressure. J Glaucoma. 2017
2. Author’s reply. Lawrenson JG, Baker H, Ratnarajan G, Harper RA, Edgar DF. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2017
4. Baker H, Ratnarajan G, Harper RA, Edgar DF, Lawrenson JG. Effectiveness of UK optometric enhanced eye care services: a realist review of the literature. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2016
5. Yusuf IH, Ratnarajan G, Kerr RS, Salmon JF. Juvenile-onset Normal Tension Glaucoma from Chronic Recurrent Low Cerebrospinal Fluid Pressure. J Glaucoma. 2016
6. Ratnarajan G, Thompson A, Dodridge C, Parry A, Elston J. Novel variant of Miller Fisher syndrome occurring with tumour necrosis factor alpha antagonist therapy. JAMA Neurology 2015
7. Ratnarajan G, Hirn C, Normando E, Poli M, Scott A, Munoz M, Karmiris T, Garway-Heath D. Comparison of risk factor profiles for primary open angle glaucoma subtypes defined by pattern of visual field loss: true risk factors or arbituary definition? Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2015
8. Jayaram H, Pinto LA, Prokosch V, Matlach J, Skonieczna K, Mercieca K, Digiuni M, Mocan MC, Mahave S, Andersson S, Ratnarajan G, Garway-Heath DF; Writing Committee for the European Glaucoma Panel. Circadian Arterial Blood Pressure Variation and Glaucoma Progression: More Questions Than Answers? Am J Hypertens. 2015
9. Ratnarajan G, Kean J, French K, Parker M, Bourne R. The false negative rate and the role for virtual review in a nationally evaluated glaucoma referral refinement scheme. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists) 2015
10. Ratnarajan G, Coombes E, Jones A, Parker M, Bourne R. The equity profile of an enhanced optometry scheme. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics
11. Ratnarajan G, Alexander I, Cuthertson F et al. Impact of Cataract Surgery on Sleep in Patients Receiving either Ultra-Violet Blocking or Blue-Filtering Intraocular Lens Implants. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014
For complete list go to www.gokratnarajan.com
Courses offered to GPs
Innovations and Update in Cataract and Glaucoma Surgery lectures to both GP's and Optometrists
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2013
- MD Research Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London 2015
- MBBS University College London 2005
- BSc University College London 2002
- Glaucoma and Anterior Segment Fellowship University of Toronto 2016
- Glaucoma Fellowship Western Eye Hospital, Imperial University 2015
- Glaucoma Fellowship Oxford Eye Hospital, Oxford University 2014
Reference number 6130196
Details of entry to specialist register
- Consultant Register, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologist
British Medical Journal
American Academy of Ophthalmology
Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
UK Glaucoma Society
European Society of Cataract Surgeons
Medical Defence Union
- 65 Frant RoadTUNBRIDGE WELLSTN2 5LH
- 13:30 - 18:00
- 01892 619797
- Holtye RoadEAST GRINSTEADRH19 3EB
- 09:00 - 18:00
- 07495 522011
- Queen Anne Street Medical Centre
- 09:00 - 18:00
- 0800 197 8808
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details