- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a Consultant Spinal surgeon at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. This is one of the five Orthopaedic Specialist Hospitals in the UK, and the regional tertiary centre for spinal surgery.
My main area of work is in adult degenerative spinal surgery, and on call work involves spinal trauma and tumours. I am involved in training of the Specialist Registrars and also physiotherapists who assist me in the Spinal Secondary Care Clinic
I have completed six years of specialist training in Trauma and Orthopaedics on the Mersey rotation and have been awarded my CCT.
I have trained in spinal surgery with fellowships at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt hospital in Oswestry, Alder Hey children’s hospital, and Hope & Manchester Children’s hospital.
Areas of interest
- Emma Jessop
- Spire Liverpool Hospital 57 Greenbank Road LIVERPOOL L18 1HQ
- 0151 522 1888
- Kim Byers
- Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt District Orthopaedic Hospital Centre for Spinal Studies Gobowen OSWESTRY SY10 7AG
- 01691 404039
- 01691 404054
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Spinal Surgeon,
The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital,
I play cricket for the local and hospital team.
I have been studying into and understanding the similarities between science, mythology, history, spirituality, philosophy. My lectures are on YouTube.
1) Activ C cervical disc replacement for myelopathy.
L McGonagle, S Cadman, S Chitgopkar, L Canavan, M O’Malley, IM Shackleford.
JCVJS (J of Cranio-Vertebral Junction and Spine) 2011,2:16.
2) Primary septic arthritis of the acromio-clavicular joint: case report and review of literature.
Iyengar KP, Gudena R, Chitgopkar SD, Ralte P, Hughes P, Nadkarni JB, Loh WY.
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009 Jan;129(1):83-6.
3) Flexible nailing of fractures in children using stainless steel Kirschner wires.
Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B. 17(5):251-255, September 2008.
Abstract in European J of Trauma Vol32, Supplement 1, April 2006.
4) Painless reduction of anterior shoulder dislocation by Kocher’s method.
SD Chitgopkar, M Khan.
Injury, Int. J. Care Injured (2005) 36, 1182-84.
Abstract in European J of Trauma Vol 32, Supplement 1, April 2006.
5) Internal fixation of femoral shaft fractures in children by intramedullary Kirschner wires, a
prospective study. Its significance for developing countries.
BMC Surgery 2005, 5:6. doi:10.1186/1471-2482-5-6. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2482/5/6.
The spine. Development, Deformity, Duchenne.
Chitgopkar SD, Trivedi JM.
In Basic Science for FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics). Fourth edition. Institute of Orthopaedics (Oswestry).
Guiding hands. Shashank D Chitgopkar makes the case for surgical mentors.
Surgeons News. RCSEd publication. January 2007
1) Trauma and Orthopaedics in the ancient world. What can we learn? SD Chitgopkar, SS Chitgopkar. European J of Trauma Vol32, Supplement 1, April 2006.
2) Bilateral, simultaneous, asymmetric traumatic hip dislocations. Right anterior, and left posterior. A case report. SD Chitgopkar. European J of Trauma Vol32, Supplement 1, April 2006.
- MBBS BLDEA's Medical College, Bijapur, Karnatak University, India 1994
- Diploma In Orthopaedics The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay, India 1997
- DNB in Orthopaedics National Board of Examinations, India 2000
- MRCSEd The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK. 2005
- FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics Intercollegiate Specialty Board in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, UK. 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMc Specialist Register, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
BASS British Association of Spinal Surgeons
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.