- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
Affifa qualified in Pakistan and moved to the UK where she trained in internal medicine and gastroenterology. She subsequently developed interests in pain management and acupuncture, particularly as they can be helpful in care of patients with irritable bowel syndrome. She holds an MSc (with distinction) in Pain Management and has undertaken training in Western Acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Acupuncture and Master Tung Acupuncture
She has also undertaken legal training and was called to the Bar at Lincoln's Inn. This is linked with her research interests in the equitable delivery of healthcare
Areas of interest
Inflammatory Bowel Disease; IBS; Nuitrition; Pancreatic Disease; Coeliac Disease;
Peptic Ulcer Disease; Gastric Motility Issues; Pain management; Acupuncture; Moxibustion
Current NHS consultant posts held
I am an honorary consultant physician and gastroenterologist at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. I also work intermittently at Peterborough City Hospital.
My main research interests are in ethnic aspects of gastrointestinal disease including discrimination in the delivery of care
I am interested in Sufi literature and gardening. I also enjoy visiting Granada in Spain.
I was called to the Bar at Lincoln's Inn and am a barrister (non-practicing) and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Native or bilingual
- Urdu - Native or bilingual
I have published more than 30 papers in academic journals across a range of medical and legal journals.
Courses offered to GPs
1. Talks on effective alternative treatments for irritable bowel syndrome and Keeping Legally safe.
2. Seminars on how to be an effective expert witness
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2016
- FRCPI Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2016
- MRCP (Gastroenterology) Royal College of Physicians (UK) 2015
- FEBGH European Board of Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2015
- MSc (Distinction) (Pain Management) University of South Wales 2019
- LLM (Distinction) Nottingham Trent University 2019
- Bar Vocational Diploma Bar Standards Board & Nottingham Trent University 2018
- Graduate Diploma in Law Nottingham Trent Univesity 2017
- MB BS Nishtar Medical School 2000
- MCIArb Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2019
- Acupuncture British Medical Acupuncture Society 2017
Reference number 6069185
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Trustee British Medical Acupuncture Society 2020
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Internal Medicine, 2015
- Gastroenterology, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Acupuncture Society
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.