- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Ms Maharajan is an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist employed by the Luton and Dunstable University Hospitals NHS Trust. She completed her Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Madras Medical College (India). She later trained in Oxford deanery and has worked in various teaching hospitals in the Oxford region. She specialises in Colposcopy, General Gynaecology, Minimal access surgery, Out-patient Hysteroscopy and Gynaecology scanning. Areas of particular interest include menstrual disorders and benign gynaecological conditions.
Currently she runs the post-menopausal bleeding one stop clinic at Luton and Dunstable Hospitals which is well appreciated by patients. The procedures have reduced the need for general anesthesia, thereby reducing hospital admission. She specialises removing polyps with different innovative techniques.
She also sees patients with abnormal smears, abnormal bleeding (post coital and intermenstrual bleeding). She does out-patient colposcopic procedures like loop treatment under local anaesthesia.
She sees patient with general gynaecology problems, fibroids chronic pelvic pain, and ovarian cyst in her general gynaecology clinic.
Ms Maharajan strongly believes that treatment offered to women should be holistic, taking into consideration their view, opinions and she prides in offering women high quality care. Her advice and approach are always evidence based and supported by the provision of evidence-based information offered in a form that is tailored to the needs of the individual patient. She strongly believes that good communication between healthcare professionals and patients is essential. She is a good communicator which is well reflected in her patient survey.
She is currently the College Tutor for trainees in Luton and Dunstable University Hospitals and she prides in facilitating a good environment for the junior and middle grade doctors who will become tomorrow’s reputed consultants.
Areas of interest
Colposcopy, Out-patient Hysteroscopy, Benign Gynaecology-heavy menstrual bleeding and abnormal bleeding, early pregnancy, miscarriage, endometriosis, pelvic pain, laparoscopic surgery, fibroids, Postmenopausal bleeding, Menopause.
- Leah McGrath
- Spire Harpenden Hospital Ambrose Lane HARPENDEN AL5 4BP
- 01582 714460
- 01582 714476
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Luton and Dunstable University Hospital NHS Trust
Ms Maharajan lives with her husband, an IT Consultant (Engineer), and their son. She is interested outside work in aerobics, gymnasium and yoga. She loves travelling and enjoys fine dining experiences.
• Role of serial scans in early pregnancy for detection of molar changes - A Case Report in The Association of Early Pregnancy Units Conference.
• Case report on “Post-operative Obstructive Ileus following Caesarean Section” Post-operative Obstructive Ileus following Caesarean Section Vander Val C, Maharajan P, Mr Nicolls J ; J Obstet Gynaecol 2008 Feb; 28(2): 239-40.
• Case report on “Case Report on a rare case of haematocolpos following herbal treatment for Fibroids in a district general hospital” Maharajan P, Carrey M, Mr Agboola N; Trends in Urology, Gynaecology & Sexual Health Aug 2009.
• Case report on “A case report on the ruptured ectopic into the broad ligament and delayed the diagnosis due to delayed atypical presentation” Maharajan P, Minas V, Gupta N; Trends in Urology, Gynaecology & Sexual Health: Vol 14;Issue 6, pg29-31: Nov-Dec2009.
• “Case Report- Complex regional pain syndrome” at maternal medicine symposium, Edinburgh on 02.06.2011.
Reviews and Research:
• “Incontinence in Pregnancy”- Maharajan P; The Internet Journal of Urology. 2006. Volume 3 Number 2.
• “Preconceptional advice for diabetic women, where do we stand?” Maharajan P, Duckitt K; Journal of Diabetes Nursing Vol 14 No 1 2010
• “Management options in menorrhagia” Maharajan P, Lynch C; MIMS women’s health vol 5, pg 28-30: no 1, 2010.
• “Outcome of 360-degree appraisal of the practising NHS clinician” Maharajan P, Lynch C; British Journal of Healthcare Management 2010 Vol 16 No 11.
• “Investigating and managing the infertile couple” Maharajan P, Lynch C; MIMS women’s health vol 6, no 2, 2011 15.
• “Rashes in pregnancy- an overview” published in TOG journal Oct 2013.
- MBBS PSG Institute of Medical Science and Research 1997
- Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology Madras Medical College 2001
- DFFP Faculty of Family Planning 2005
- MRCOG RCOG 2008
Reference number 6048525
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Medical Defence Union
Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynaecology
Member of the British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- Spire Harpenden Hospital, AL5 4BP
- 09:30 - 13:30
- 01582 763191
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.