- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Upper GI surgery
I trained in Yorkshire and was appointed as Consultant Surgeon in Upper GI & Bariatric surgery at University Hospital North Midlands, Stoke-on-Trent in 2013. I was the Clinical Lead of the Bariatric firm for two years and pioneered the expansion of the service resulting in the award by the Trust in the Night of Stars award nite for improving patient care through innovation. My main fields of work include weight loss surgery and laparoscopic (key hole) surgery for hernias and gall stones. I also have a strong academic interest and have presented more than 50 papers in various national and international conferences and published about 20 papers in peer reviewed journals.
Areas of interest
weight loss surgery; laparoscopic surgery including ventral, incisional and groin hernias and gall bladder surgery; gall stones. Abdominal pain, reflux disease. Gastroscopy for diagnosis. umbilical hernia, paraumbilical hernia, inguinal hernia, femoral hernia, hiatus hernia, laparoscopic hernia repair, gastro oesophageal reflux disease
- Susan Dean
- University Hospital of North Midlands Newcastle Road STOKE-ON-TRENT ST4 6QG
- 01782 679876
- 07580 495889
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Arunchakkravarthy KannanGovindaswamy Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
- Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon - University Hospital of North Midlands, Stoke-on-Trent, UK since 2013
- Hon.Clinical Lecturer - Keele University
- Weight loss surgery
- Gall bladder surgery
I enjoy listening to music, reading books and travelling.
- Awarded for improving patient care through innovation - Trust award night in 2017 for leading the bariatric department
- Poster of Distinction - ASMBS, New Orleans, 2016
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Malayalam - Native or bilingual
- Tamil - Conversational
- Urdu - Conversational
- Kannada - Conversational
Original research articles
• F Mahmood, AJ Sharples, A Rotundo, N Balaji, VSR Rao. Factors predicting length of stay following bariatric surgery: Retrospective review of a single UK tertiary centre experience. Obesity Surgery 2018; 28: 1924-1930.
• VSR Rao, M Peter, R Sarkar, E Salim, PK Jain. Outcome in terms of percentage excess body weight loss (%EBWL) after weight loss surgery - Experience of a large volume centre. Obesity Research & Clinical Practice 2017; 11 (2), 253-255. doi10.1016/j.orcp.2017.02.004. PMID: 28385559
• Megson M, Macano CAW, Davies S, Zafar Z, Nyasavajjala SM, VSR Rao. Not another Complaint! Journal of Gastrointestinal & Digestive system 2017; 7:491. doi: 10.4172/2161-069X.1000491
• VSR Rao, MMY Yeung, J Cooke, E Salim, PK Jain. Comparison of circumferential resection margin clearance criteria with survival after surgery for cancer of esophagus. Journal of Surgical Oncology 2012; 105(8): 745-749.
• F Rayan, VSR Rao, S Purushothamdas, C Mukundan, SO Shafqat. Common extensor origin release in recalcitrant lateral epicondylitis – role justified?. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research 2010; 5: 31.
• NS Balaji, CP Macklin, S Fawole, AS Aster, VSR Rao, PJ Moore, SM Ahmad. The ‘modified triple staple’ technique for anastamosis after low anterior resection. The Surgeon 2007: 5(4); 199-201. PMID: 17849953
• VSR Rao, JKA Jameel, TK Mahapatra, PL McManus, JN Fox, PJ Drew. Surgery Is Associated with Lower Morbidity and Longer Survival in Elderly Breast Cancer Patients over 80. The Breast Journal 2007:13(4); 368-373. PMID: 17593041
• VSR Rao, N Ahmad, A Al-Mukhtar, S Stojkovic, P J Moore, S M Ahmad. Comparison of rigid vs flexible sigmoidoscopy in detection of significant anorectal lesions. Colorectal Disease 2005: 7; 61-64.
• VSR Rao, A Al-Mukhtar, F Rayan, S Stojkovic, P J Moore, S M Ahmad. Endoscopic laser ablation of advanced rectal carcinoma – a DGH experience. Colorectal Disease 2005: 7; 58-60.
Courses offered to GPs
• GP talk, Nuffield - ‘From a caterpillar to a butterfly - Role of bariatric surgery’ - 20/02/2018
• Lecture at A Midlands Regional ABCD Meeting, Wolverhampton. ‘Diabesity - Is bariatric surgery the best answer?’ - 01/02/2018
• GP talk, Nuffield - ‘Heartburn - when to consider surgery?’ - 13/06/2017
• GP talk, Nuffield - ‘Hernias - when to consider surgical intervention?’ - 05/04/2017
- MBBS T.D. Medical College, University of Kerala, India 1995
- MS - General Surgery Bangalore Medical College, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India 1999
- FRCS - Surgery in General Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2001
- FRCS - Surgery in General Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow 2001
- MD - Academic Surgery University of Hull, UK 2008
- FRCS - General Surgery Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2010
- CCT - General Surgery Joint Committee of Higher Surgical Training, UK 2012
- Fast Track Bariatric Course Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem, The Netherlands 2015
- Advanced Bariatric Surgery Workshop Sahlgrenska University Hospital. Gotherburg, Sweden 2015
Reference number 5196134
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
• Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
• Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
• BOMSS, UK
• British Medical Association
- Clayton Road NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE2 1JP
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01782 382510
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Nuffield North Staffordshire Hospital
Stoke on Trent