- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
- Lower GI surgery
Ali Malik trained for many years in and around London and South East England. This included research at the Royal Free Hospital and he was awarded a distinction for his thesis on how to activate death pathways in gastrointestinal cancers.
He obtained clinical experience at King's College Hospital, Medway Hospital, St Thomas' Hospital, Guy's Hospital and Lewisham Hospital. Majority of his trainers were experienced laparoscopic (keyhole) surgeons and this has had a major impact on his skills as a surgeon. He was awarded a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in 2013. He topped his experience with a post CCT Fellowship at the Basingstoke Hospital where he managed patients with advanced abdominal cancer referred there from the rest of the UK, Ireland, Europe and the Middle East.
In 2014 he was offered a consultant surgeon job at Ipswich Hospital and he has enjoyed living in Ipswich ever since.
Areas of interest
General Surgery; all types of abdominal wall hernia surgery including inguinal hernia, umblical hernia, ventral hernia, femoral hernia, incisional hernia; gallstones; laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery; cholecystectomy; colorectal or bowel cancer surgery; rectal bleeding; loose stools or diarrhoea; constipation; abdominal pain; endoscopy procedures; colonoscopy; gastroscopy; flexible sigmoidoscopy; anal problems; haemorrhoids; anal fistula; anal fissure; colectomy; inflammatory bowel disease; Crohn's disease; ulcerative colitis; skin lumps; pilonidal sinus disease; natural orifice surgery (NOSE); transanal minimal invasive surgery (TAMIS); transanal total mesorectal excision (TATME) surgery; functional bowel problems; pelvic floor problems; difficulty opening bowels; rectal prolapse; faecal incontinence; laparoscopic ventral mesh rectopexy (LVMR); advanced or recurrent bowel cancer
- Sharon Thompson
- Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust Medical Secretantial Postbag C305 Dept of General Surgery Heath Road Ipswich IP4 5PD
- 01473 703023
- 07398 937433
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Colorectal Surgeon at Ipswich Hospital, Heath Road, Ipswich and at the Nuffield Ipswich Hospital, Foxhall Road, Ipswich.
Surgical quality, novel approaches to laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery, proctology, cancer biology with particular focus on bowel cancer, Transanal Minimal Invasive Surgery (TAMIS)
Family time, cycling, walking, country western music.
Royal Society of Medicine Travelling Fellowship - Overseas Meeting, Bologna, May 2014;
ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize - Royal College of Surgeons of England, November 2013;
Distinction - MSc research project and defence of thesis, Royal Free & University College Medical School, September 2005 ;
MSc Bursary - Cancer Research UK, May 2005;
Honours in Community Health Sciences - Aga Khan University 1996;
Cree Medal for Science - Karachi Grammar School, Pakistan 1989.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Urdu - Fluent
- French - Basic
- Spanish - Basic
1. Tou S, Malik AI, Wexner SD, Nelson RL. Energy source instruments for laparoscopic colectomy. (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 May 11;5:CD007886.
2. Malik AI, Nelson RL, Tou S. Incision and drainage of perianal abscess with or without treatment of anal fistula (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Jul 7; (7):CD006827.
3. Malik AI, Tou S, Ritchie JE, Hardman NL, Malakun R, Cleary SL, Malik NU, Aggarwal SS, Erskine SE, Nelson RL. Glucocorticosteroids for patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Syst Rev 2010, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD008733.
4. Malik AI, Tou S, Nelson RL. Early laparoscopy versus observation for patients with acute abdominal pain. (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD008035.
5. Tou S, Brown SR, Malik AI, Nelson RL. Surgery for complete rectal prolapse in adults. (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Oct 8;(4):CD001758.
6. Chan S, Currie J, Malik AI, Mahomed AA. Paediatric cholecystectomy: Shifting goalposts in the laparoscopic era. Surg Endosc. 2008 May; 22(5):1392-5.
7. Malik AI, Hampton J, Briffa N, Shorthouse A. Computed tomography for the diagnosis of ischaemic bowel after cardiac surgery. Colorect Dis 2008, 10 (S2): 26.
8. Malik AI, Nelson RL. Surgical Management of Anal Fistulae: a systematic review. Colorectal Disease 2008 Jun;10(5):420-30.
9. Malik AI, Hanavadi, Siddiqui MN, Oke T. Small bowel evisceration through anal canal secondary to a stercoral perforation. Chirurgia 2005 Oct; 18(5): 379.
10. Malik AI, Papagrigoriadis S, Leather AJ, Rennie JA, Salisbury JR, Beese RC. Abdominopelvic mass secondary to Actinomycosis israelii mimicking cancer: report of two cases. Tech Coloproctol 2005 Jul; 9(2): 170-1.
11. Malik AI, Siddiqui MN, Oke OO. Options in the treatment of totally intrathoracic stomach with volvulus. J Pak Med Assoc 2007 May; 57(5):261-3.
12. Malik AI, Siddiqui MN, Oke T. Laparoscopic treatment of totally intrathoracic stomach with chronic organoaxial gastric volvulus: current trends in investigation and management. The Surgeon 2005; 3 (3): s116.
13. Malik AI. The role of the human papilloma virus (HPV) in the aetiology of cervical cancer. J Pak Med Assoc 2005 Dec; 55(12): 553-8.
Courses offered to GPs
Bowel cancer, rectal bleeding, abdominal pain, gallstone disease, hernia management, NICE guidelines on cancer referral, management of patients after major bowel surgery, anal fistulae and other causes of anal pain inflammatory bowel disease; pelvic floor problems including faecal incontinence and difficult defectation
View videos on youtube
- Membership (MRCS) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2002
- Fellowship (FRCS) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2012
- Master of Science (Surgical Sciences) University College London 2005
- Certificate of completion of training in General Surgery Joint Committee on Specialist Training 2014
- Proficiency in Colonoscopy Joint Advisory Group (JAG) on Endoscopy of the Royal College of Physicians 2013
Reference number 5195377
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Full Registration General Medical Council 2001
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
European Society of Coloproctology
Royal Society of Medicine
- Nuffield Health Ipswich HospitalFoxhall...
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 01473 279123
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact the Ward at the Nuffield Ipswich Hospital on 01473-279102 or 01473-851322