- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Charing Cross Hospital, Western Eye Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Refractive surgery
Working at the very top of her profession both in the NHS and privately, Valerie Saw has been a longstanding Consultant Eye Surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital and Moorfields Private Hospital (2007-2015). Specialising in dry eye and laser eye surgery vision correction, cataract surgery and corneal transplant surgery for over 10 years, she has performed hundreds of corneal transplants, and thousands of refractive surgery and cataract procedures. A pioneer in her field, she is the only female listed in “Top Laser Eye Surgeons in the UK” according to Clinic Compare UK.
Recognised by her peers for her expertise and experience, she is an examiner for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists’s Certificate in Refractive Surgery. She is also a longstanding Member of the Council of the British Society of Refractive Surgery.
Not only an outstanding surgeon, she is also an unsurpassed world expert on managing medical conditions of the front of the eye like blepharitis, dry eye and contact lens problems. This means that she is able to is able to optimise the condition of the eyes for an excellent result in laser surgery, cataract and implant surgery. Valerie did her medical training at the University of Sydney, where she received the University Medal for coming first place on the Honours list. She has been trained at the highest level in complex corneal, cataract and refractive surgery, having spent 4 years in advanced specialisation at Moorfields Eye Hospital.
Ms Saw has published world leading academic research in corneal and cataract surgical techniques and inflammatory dry eye conditions. She is a Clinical Lecturer at the University College London Institute of Ophthalmology, where she did her PhD on the most severe form of dry eye, ocular cicatricial pemphigoid (mucous membrane pemphigoid). Her PhD thesis was awarded the Research Medal at Moorfields Eye Hospital, and an Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Travel Grant. She examines and supervises PhD students in her research field and is regularly invited to lecture at national and international scientific meetings. Amongst her other interests, Valerie has carried out ophthalmic aid work and teaching in Myanmar.
Areas of interest
Laser Refractive Surgery
Corneal infections and scarring
Contact lens-related eye conditions
Cataract surgery using standard, toric and multifocal lenses
Corneal grafts including DMEK, Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty for keratoconus and penetrating keratoplasty
Keratoconus surgery including Collagen Cross-linking
General Ophthalmology and Emergency Eye Care
- Nishad Ansari
- The London Clinic 119 Harley Street London W1G 6AU
- 020 3328 0076
- 07875 483586
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Vinod Patil Fee Assured
- Valerie Saw
- Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- UCL Institute of Ophthalmology IRIS
- The London Clinic
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital (2007-2015)
Clinical Lecturer, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology
Dry eye, ocular cicatricial pemphigoid, ocular allergy, corneal graft surgery, new techniques of laser refractive surgery, femtosecond laser cataract surgery
Ophthalmic aid work and teaching in Myanmar.
ARVO Travel Grant
Moorfields Eye Hospital Research Medal
Oxford Ophthalmological Congress Founder Cup
Action Medical Research Fellowship
Arthur Mills Prize for First Place on Honours List
Ciba Geigy Prize for First in the Graduation Year
Semmelweiss Prize for Infectious Diseases
Hunter Prize and A.M. Lowenthal Prize for Prosection
John Harris Scholarship for Medicine
Beverley Stewart Memorial Prize for Medicine
The Premier's Prize for First Place in H.S.C. English
1. Saw VP. Immunotherapy for corneal inflammatory disorders: stepping up and down the ladder. BJO 2013
2. Grau AE, Setterfield J, Saw VP. How to do conjunctival and buccal biopsies to investigate cicatrising conjunctivitis. BJO 2013
3. Radford CF, Rauz S, Williams GP, Saw VP, Dart JK. Incidence, presenting features, and diagnosis of cicatrising conjunctivitis in the United Kingdom. Eye. 2012
4. Saw VP, Schmidt E, Offiah I, et al. Profibrotic phenotype of conjunctival fibroblasts from mucous membrane pemphigoid. Am J Pathol. 2011
5. Williams GP, Saw VP, Saeed T, et al. Validation of a fornix depth measurer. BJO. 2011.
6. Rauz S, Saw VP. Serum eye drops, amniotic membrane and limbal epithelial stem cells. Cell Tissue Bank. 2010
7. Saw VP, Offiah I, Dart RJ, et al. Conjunctival interleukin-13 expression in mucous membrane pemphigoid and functional effects of interleukin-13 on conjunctival fibroblasts in vitro. Am J Pathol. 2009
8. Dart JK, Saw VP, Kilvington S. Acanthamoeba keratitis: diagnosis and treatment update 2009. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009
9. Saw VP, Dart RJ, Galatowicz G et al. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha in ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid and its effect on conjunctival fibroblasts. IOVS 2009
10. Saw VP, Dart JK, Rauz S, et al. Immunosuppressive therapy for ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid. Ophthalmology. 2008
11. O'Brien PD, Lake DB, Saw VP, et al. Endothelial keratoplasty: case selection in the learning curve. Cornea. 2008
12. Saw VP, Dart JK, Sitaru C, et al. Cicatrising conjunctivitis with anti-basement membrane autoantibodies in ectodermal dysplasia. BJO 2008
13. Saw VP, Cornelius N, Salama AD, et al. Infliximab therapy for aggressive Mooren ulceration. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008
14. Tay E, Rajan MS, Saw VP, et al. Dislocated intraocular lens into the vitreous cavity after DSAEK. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008
15. Saw VP, Minassian D, Dart JK, et al. Amniotic membrane transplantation for ocular disease. BJO 2007
16. De Rojas MV, Dart JK, Saw VP. et al. The natural history of Stevens Johnson syndrome BJO. 2007
17. Saw VP, Ng T, Crouch R, et al. Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty using the manual dissection technique of Melles: a histopathologic correlation. Cornea. 2006
- MB BS Hons I and University Medal University of Sydney 1997
- FRANZCO Royal Australian & NZ College of Ophthalmologists 2004
- PhD University College London 2009
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2015
- Certificate in Laser Refractive Surgery (Cert LRS) Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2011
Reference number 6069669
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Treasurer and Council Member British Society of Refractive Surgery 2010
- Vice Chairman, Drugs and Therapeutics Committee Moorfields Eye Hospital 2010
- Examiner & Committee Member Royal College of Ophthalmologists' Certificate in Laser Refractive Surgery 2015
- Panel Member International Sjogren's Syndrome Registry Review Panel 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
British Medical Association (BMA)
British Society of Refractive Surgery (BSRS)
European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS)
Medical Women's Federation (MWF)
UK and Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
- The London Clinic Eye Centre119 Harley...
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 020 3328 0076
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details