- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
I am presently working as a Consultant Upper Limb and Trauma surgeon in NHS Tayside, Dundee, Scotland since November 2013. Having completed by higher surgical training in Scotland, I gained further experience in the management of upper limb orthopaedic disorders at the world renowned tertiary referral unit, Wrightington Hospital.
My management of upper limb disorder for my patients is based on Evidence Based Medicine and Local and National guidelines.
My elective practice is purely upper limb dealing with shoulder, elbow and wrist disorders focusing mainly on arthroscopic procedures. Over the last five years, I have introduced one-stop upper limb shoulder clinics, established upper limb disorder management guidelines and pathways and also am collaborating with the physiotherapists to restructure the rehabilitation protocols for upper limb services.
As a full-time upper limb consultant in a large and busy teaching hospital my upper limb trauma practice includes fixation of acute proximal humerus fractures, clavicle fractures, elbow fractures and complex wrist and forearm injuries.
Given my strong academic background, having completed my Higher Degree (MD), and with numerous publications, I have been recently promoted as a Honorary Clinical Reader with the University of Dundee.
Areas of interest
Arthroscopic Cuff repair; shoulder dislocation; shoulder instability; Arthroscopic Capsular release; Subacromial decompression; Excision of Calcific deposits; surgery for AC joint arthritis; AC joint stabilisation; clavicle surgery; humerus surgery; SLAP repair; shoulder replacement; shoulder resurfacing; total and reverse shoulder replacement; sterno clavicular arthritis; shoulder injections; Tennis elbow; Golfers elbow; cubital tunnel release; elbow stiffness surgery; elbow replacement; radial head fracture fixation; radial head replacement; distal biceps fixation; arthroscopic elbow surgery; elbow injections; Carpal tunnel decompression; trigger finger and thumb; Dupuytren’s release; thumb arthritis surgery; trapeziectomy; hand injections; de Quervain’s surgery
- Orthopaedic Secretaries
- Orthopaedic Secretaries B M I Fernbrae Hospital Polmaise Road Dundee DD2 1LJ
- 01786 451669
- TAYSIDE COMPLETE HEALTH
- 7 Commercial Street Dundee DD1 3DA
- 01382 549088
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Upper Limb and Trauma Surgeon; NHS Tayside; Ninewells Hospital and Medical School; Dundee;
Honorary Reader: University of Dundee.
My present practice is upper limb based including complex upper limb trauma. I have a very busy and challenging practice with secondary and tertiary referral of complex upper limb trauma and elective cases. My elective practice is mainly shoulder and elbow focusing mainly on arthroscopic procedures around shoulder and elbow.
With my strong academic background and having completed my Higher Degree (MD), I have been extensively involved in teaching, training and supervision of research projects for undergraduate, postgraduate and for the Master of Orthopaedic Science (MCh Orth) Dundee students.
I have published more than 40 papers in peer-reviewed journals. I have had numerous presentations both nationally (33) and internationally (9). I have won seven research awards. I have been directly involved in supervision of 22 students including Master Students (MCh Orth.), Orthopaedic trainees and Foundation doctors and Medical Students from University of Dundee.
For these contribution, I have recently been promoted as Honorary Clinical Reader with the University of Dundee.
I love travelling and exploring new places and interacting with people from different regions and countries as I am keen to learn their ways of life.
I like being amidst nature and hence Dundee provides me with the excellent combination of good work place and a quick getaway to the Highlands to relax.
I like listening to music and enjoy playing sports especially cricket and badminton.
BOA Travelling Fellowship-2014
Zimmer Clinical Research Fellowship-2006
Ian Smillie Class Award of Distinction-2003
BEST PODIUM PRIZE-Predicting early mortality in metastatic proximal femoral fractures- 2018
IAN KELLY AWARD- BEST RESEARCH: 2017
BEST PAPER: Predicting early mortality in metastatic proximal femoral fractures- 2017
BEST PAPER-Cemented total hip replacement in patients under 55 years-2016
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Gujarati - Conversational
- Urdu - Conversational
1. Painful Shoulder post fall: Mayne AI and Jariwala A. Emerg Med J. 2018; Mar 3 (Epub ahead of print).
2. Cemented total hip replacement in patients under 55 years: Kiran M, Johnston LR, Sripada S, MacLeod GG, Jariwala AC. Acta Orthop. 2018; 18:1-4 (Epub ahead of print).
3. Comparative analysis of different total hip replacement implants used in a single health region of the United Kingdom- minimum 15 years’ follow-up: Kiran M, Jariwala AC, McLeod GG. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica. Accepted for publication Nov 2017.
4. Factors influencing outcome in the management of scaphoid non-union and comparison of Matti Russe and Interpositional grafting techniques – Kiran M, Jariwala A, Wigderowitz CA. J of Hand Surg Asian Pac. 2017; 22(3): 286-291
5. Cruciate Retaining compared with Posterior Stabilised Nexgen total knee arthroplasty: results at 10 years in a matched cohort: AIW Mayne, HP Harshavardhan, LR Johnston, W Wang, A Jariwala: Ann R College Surg Engl. 2017; 99: 602-606
6. Numbness around the Total Knee Arthroplasty Surgical Scar: Prevalence and Effect on Functional Outcome. Jariwala AC, Parthasarathy A, Kiran M, Johnston LR, Rowley DI. J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32(7): 2256-2261
7. Arthroscopic Retrieval of over 100 Loose Bodies in Shoulder Synovial Chondromatosis: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Raval P, Vijayan A, Jariwala A. Orthop Surg. 2016; 8(4): 511-515
8. Total hip replacement for neck of femur fracture: Comparing outcomes with matched elective cohort. Lim JW, Ng GS, Jenkins RC, Ridley D, Jariwala AC, Sripada S. Injury. 2016; 47(10): 2144-2148
9. Double dislocation of interphalangeal joints in a finger- A case report. Raval P, Jariwala AC. Orthop Surg. 2016; 8(1): 85-88
10. How Well Do Contoured Superior Mid-shaft Clavicle Plates Fit the Clavicle? A Cadaveric Study. Malhas, Y. Skarparis, S. Sripada, R. Soames, A. Jariwala. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016; 25: 954-959
11. Suture fixation technique for Tension band wiring for olecranon fractures. Das A, Jariwala AC, Watts AC. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2016; 20(1):1-5.
12. Outcome analysis of cubital tunnel decompressions- a review of 136 cases. Jariwala AC, Bansal N, Shelton J, Nicol GM, Wigderowitz CA. Scott Med J. 2015; 60(3): 136-140
13. Outcome analysis of primary total elbow replacements- medium term results. Kiran M, Jariwala AC, Wigderowitz CA. Indian J Orthop. 2015; (2) 233-238
Courses offered to GPs
I regularly do GP and Public seminars every 2-3 months and also do physiotherapy teaching every 3 months.
I have done various talks in GP Practices in:
- MD University of Dundee 2016
- FRSCEd Trauma & Orthopaedics Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2011
- MRCSEd Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2006
- MCh Orthopaedics University of Dundee 2003
- MS Orthopaedics Institute of Medical Science-INDIA 1999
- MBBS Institute of Medical Science-INDIA 1996
- Upper Limb Fellowship Wrightington Upper Limb Unit-WIGAN 2013
- Complex Shoulder Instability Visitation Royal Stannmore Hospital-London 2015
- BOA US-CANADIAN Travelling Fellowship MAYO CLINIC ROCHESTER 2014
Reference number 6080769
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- GMC GMC 2003
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
• British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
• British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS)
• British Society for the Surgery of Hand (BSSH)
• Orthopaedic Trauma Society UK (OTS)
• British Indian Orthopaedic Society UK (BIOS)
- BMI KINGS PARK HOSPITAL
- 09:00 - 11:30
- 01738 451669
- TAYSID COMPLETE HEALTH
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01382 549088
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Resident Doctor at BMI KINGS PARK Hospital Dundee