- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Hand surgery
- Reconstructive surgery
I am a Consultant Plastic Surgeon with a special interest in hand and reconstructive surgery. I joined the Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon in June 2014.
I am a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, and a member of both the British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS) and the British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH).
I graduated from the University of Leeds Medical School and completed my plastic surgery training in Yorkshire. I undertook specialist fellowships in Leeds and at the Birmingham Hand Centre during which time I achieved The Diploma in Hand Surgery through the University of Manchester and the BSSH.
I am an accomplished general plastic surgeon, and have a special interest in hand surgery and reconstructive surgery for skin cancer. During my fellowship at the Birmingham Hand Centre I gained considerable experience in the management of Dupuytren’s Disease with Collagenase injections.
I believe in holistic patient care and recognise the importance of enabling patients to make informed decisions about which treatment options are best for them. I am committed to delivering high quality care from the outset.
Areas of interest
Dupuytren's Disease (including Collagenase injections); Nerve compression (e.g. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Cubital Tunnel Syndrome); Neuromas of the nerve; Arthritis; Ganglions and other lumps in the hand; Upper limb spasticity in adults; Hand injuries including fractures, tendons, and nerves; Skin cancer; Removal of moles and 'lumps and bumps';
- Gale Bell
- Spire Hull & East Riding Hospital Lowfield Road Anlaby HULL HU10 7AZ
- 01482 841228
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Indranil Kolay Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Plastic, Hand & Reconstructive Surgeon, Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, June 2014 to present
I am the Yorkshire and Humber NIHR CRN Subspecialty Lead for Plastic Surgery.
I am trained in Good Clinical Practice for Research, and am the Principle Investigator at HEY NHS Trust for the NINJA Trial (a national RCT looking at nailbed injuries in children). I am the Lead for the UK TRIGGER group (currently carrying out an international survey looking at the management of trigger fingers, with a view to further studies to optimise the management of trigger finger).
I continue to be involved in research in areas of hand and plastic surgery, having been the local lead and collaborator in national studies of hand fracture fixation, tendon injuries, and Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP).
I am a keen sportsman having played hockey to a high level with Wakefield Men’s 1st Hockey team. I now enjoy playing squash, running, and hill walking, and have tried all forms of fishing over the years (most recently fly fishing for salmon). I am attempting to revive my musical interests playing the flute and piano. I am married and enjoy family life.
- Scaphoid Non-union in "Scaphoid Fractures - the Evidence. In Evidence Based Data in Hand Surgery and Therapy. Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the hand Instructional Courses 2017. Iris publications. ISBN: 978-605-4711-07-9
Peer Review Publications
- Greig A, Gardiner MD, Sierakowski A, Zweifel CJ, Pinder RM, et al. NINJA Pilot Collaborative. Randomized feasibility trial of replacing or discarding the nail plate after nail-bed repair in children. Br J Surg. 2017 Nov;104(12):1634-1639. doi: 10.1002/bjs.10673.
- Pinder RM, Barlow G. Osteomyelitis of the hand. Journal of Hand Surgery (Eur). 2016; 41(4): 431-40.
- Chan S, Singh T, Pinder RM, Tan S, Craigen M. Ulnar shortening osteotomy: Are complications under-reported? Journal of Hand and Microsurgery. 2015; 7:276-82
- Pinder RM, Brkljac M, Rix L, Muir L, Brewster M. Treatment of scaphoid nonunion: A systematic review of the existing evidence. Journal of Hand Surgery (American). 2015;40(9):1797-1805.
- Bolt A, Wei R, Pinder RM, Hodson J, Waldram M, Chester D. Open hand fractures: 2 years of experience at a hand centre. Eur J Plast Surg. 2015. DOI 10.1007/s00238-015-1073-6
- Sinha S, Pinder RM, Majumder S. The largest reported epineural ganglion of the ulnar nerve causing cubital tunnel syndrome: Case report and review of the literature. JPRAS. 2013; 66(1): e23-5.
- Matteucci P, Pinder RM, Magdam A, Stanley P. Accuracy in skin lesion diagnosis and the exclusion of malignancy. JPRAS. 2011; 64(11): 1460-5.
- Pinder RM, Southern SJ. Re: Unipedicled laterodigital transposition flap for covering dorsal longitudinal skin defects in multi-digit injuries. Journal of Hand Surgery (Eur). 2011; 36:179-84.
- Pinder RM, Winterton RI, Liddington MI, Kay SPJ. Re: Microvascular anastamoses: A series of 200 success stories. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2010; 126(6): 2296-7.
- Kay SPJ, Pinder RM, Wiper JD, Hart A, Jones F, Yates A. Microvascular free functioning gracilis transfer with nerve transfer to establish elbow flexion. JPRAS. 2010; 63(7): 1142-1149.
- Winterton RIS, Pinder RM, Morritt AN, Knight SL, Batchelor AG, Liddington MI, Kay SPJ. Long term study into surgical exploration of the "free flap in difficulty. JPRAS. 2010; 63(7): 1080-1087.
- Pinder RM, Hart A, Winterton RIS, Yates A, Kay SPJ. Free tissue transfers in the first 2 years of life - a successful cost effective and humane option. JPRAS. 2010; 63(4): 616-622.
- DipHandSurg University of Manchester & The British Society for Surgery of the Hand 2014
- FRCS (Plast) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 2004
- MBChB University of Leeds 2001
- Level 7 Certificate in Strategic Management and Leadership Chartered Management Institute 2017
- Microsurgical Fellowship Department of Plastic Surgery - Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust 2013
- Fellowship in Hand Surgery Birmingham Hand Centre - University Hospitals Birmingham 2012
Reference number 6026061
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register in Plastic Surgery, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH)
British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
Royal College or Surgeons of England
Medical Defence Union
British Medical Association
- Spire Hull & East Riding of Yorkshire,...
- 14:00 - 16:00
- 01482 841228
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.