- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Vascular surgery
Mr Barun Majumder graduated in 1988 from Calcutta National Medical College, India and trained as Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon in the West of Scotland. His special interest includes endovascular repair of aortic aneurysm . He also gained a wide experience in open aortic, carotid, mesenteric ischaemia, lower limb reconstructive surgery for claudication and critical limb ischaemia, minimally invasive vein treatment, diabetic limb salvage and re-do vascular surgery. He is also experienced in treating upper limb ischaemia and vasculitis disease.
Mr Majumder also has special interests in teaching and research. He has a certificate in educational supervision and teaching. He has also attended the Royal College Training the trainer course. He is a tutor for ‘Basic Surgical Skills course’ & ‘MRCS course’ at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (RCPSG). He is an interview panelist for selection of Core Higher Surgical Trainee for Kent, Surrey and Sussex Deanery.
Areas of interest
• Carotid endarterectomy for TIA/ Stroke
• Endovascular aortic aneurysm repair (EVAR)
• Femoro-popliteal bypass surgery
• Angioplasty/bypass operation for mesenteric ischaemia
• Varicose veins treatment (VNUS, Foam Sclerotherapy)
• Epigastric hernia repair
• Femoral hernia repair
• Hernia repair, inguinal (open)
• Hernia repair, Para umbilical and umbilical
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Ashford and St. Peters NHS Foundation Trust
Mr Majumder has been involved in various research projects and audits. He is well versed with research methodology both in Clinical as well as laboratory based molecular research. He spent 18 months as a Surgical Research Fellow at Aberdeen University leading to MD. His research results are published in peer review journals. He also presented his research and audits at various regional, national and international meetings. He has recently applied for grant from Welcome lab for ongoing research into new dressing technique for leg ulcer. He is currently collaborating with local universities for his research projects.
His enjoys cooking and plays Classical/Flamenco Guitar and Mandolin.
Travel Award by University of Aberdeen to Attend 11th Annual International Research Conference on Diet, Nutrition and Cancer, Washington DC, USA 16-17 July 2001
Award received in Physiology, University of Calcutta, July, 1982
Merit in Surgery, University of Calcutta, July, 1986.
1. I have recently published my thesis as book entitled “Modulation of Breast Cancer Genes by Conjugated Linoleic Acid”. This is published by Lambert Publishing (ISBN NO: 978-3-8454-0918-4), July, 2011
2. Book Chapters (as a Co-Author)
• Invited book chapter (in preparation). “Therapeutic Dressings and Wound Healing Applications”-publisher John Wiley & Sons.
• Contributed to chapters 9-14, “Oxford Text Book of Medicine”, 2nd Edition, 2016.
• “Technical development of endograft: Anaconda”- MEET Book 2010
• “Ultrasound and Carotid Bifurcation Atherosclerosis” by Andrew Nicolaides
• “Virtual histology IVUS in carotid stenting” in Text Book Peripheral Vascular Interventions, 3rd Edition by Hauser R.R, Henry M.
3. REFEREED PAPERS
Majumder B. Multidisciplinary Approach to the Management of Diabetic Foot Complications: Impact on Hospital Admissions, Limb Salvage and Amputation Rates
Endocrinology & Metabolism International Journal, Volume 5 Issue 2 – 2017.
Barun Majumder Fenestrated Endograft as a New Perspective for the Treatment of Infrarenal Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm with a Congenital Pelvic Kidney—A Case Report and Review of Literature. Annals of Vascular Surgery, Published online: July 13, 2017.In Press for full publication.
B Majumder et al: Early clinical experience with Anaconda re-deployable endograft in 106 patients with abdominal aortic Aneurysm: The West of Scotland Anaconda registry. Scott Med J 57(2):61-65. May 2012.
S Kettlewell, CB Moyes, CA Bray, D Soutar, AJ McKay, DS Byrne, T Shoaib, B Majumder and RM MacKie: Sentinel node status in melanoma is a highly significant prognostic factor: a prospective observational study. Version of 30.1.06 (BMJ). BMJ; 332:1423-5, 2006.
B Majumder et al: Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLA’s) regulate the expression of key apoptotic genes in human breast cancer cells. The FASEB J. 16 (11):1447-1449, 2002.
PRESENTATIONS TO LEARNED SOCIETIES
A new perspective for the treatment of Infra-Renal Abdominal aortic aneurysm with a congenital pelvic kidney. Barun Majumder, .
Veith Symposium 2017, Podium presentation, 15 -17 Nov 2017, New York, NY 10019.
Barun Majumder. Impact of a New Multidisciplinary Diabetic Foot Clinic on Hospital Admissions, Limb Salvage and Amputation on the North West Surrey Population, United Kingdom.
An oral presentation at World Congress of Vascular Medicine & Surgery Chicago, 23-25 Oct, 2016. USA.
Courses offered to GPs
GPs Education talk on Vascular topics
2. West Byfleet Health centre
1. leg ulcers managment
2. Peripheral Vascular disease- an approach to arteries and veins in lower limbs
3. Multi disciplanary management of Diabetic foot
- M.B.B.S. University of Calcutta 1987
- M.D University of Aberdeen 2007
- FRCS(Glasg) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 1995
- FRCS(GenSurg) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 2010
- Certificate in Educational Supervision KSS 2015
- IVUS(Intra Vascular Ultrasound) West of Scotland 2007
Reference number 4637316
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant Vascular Surgeon (Locum) Countess of Chester Hospital, Chester 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
1.Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
2.Affiliate member of Vascular Society of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
3.Member of British Society of Endovascular Therapy
4.Member of British Medical Association
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details