- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Head & neck oncology
Mr Stimpson offers general adult ENT care and has a special interest in benign and malignant conditions of the head and neck region including thyroid and salivary gland disorders.
He completed his higher surgical training in the North Thames region. In addition to his specialist experience in London, he undertook a 12 month advanced surgical oncology fellowship in Melbourne, Australia prior to taking up his substantive consultant post at Barts Health in 2014.
He is Clinical Lead for the UCLH Cancer Collaborative Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Team Unification Project.
He is also Lead Clinician for the Barts Health Head and Neck multidisciplinary team (MDT) and is actively involved with research, audit, training and teaching. He is a core member of the Barts Health Thyroid MDT.
Areas of interest
General adult ENT conditions, Neck lumps, Head and Neck Cancer; Benign Head and Neck conditions; Thyroid disease; Salivary gland conditions; Voice; Swallowing problems; Nasal problems including allergy and smell disturbance; Sinusitis and functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS); Hearing and balance disorders; Tonsillitis; Snoring and sleep disordered breathing
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Michael Gilhooly Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant ENT/Head and Neck Surgeon, Barts Health
Honorary Consultant Head and Neck Surgeon, University College London Hospital
Lead Clinician and Chairman: Head and Neck Cancer Multidisciplinary Team, Barts Health
Mr Stimpson has over 25 published papers in peer reviewed journals.
He has written several book chapters for major ENT textbooks
He has presented his work at major International, National and Regional meetings including The Royal Society of Medicine.
He has a lead role in developing minimally invasive techniques for controlling head and neck cancer including transoral robotic surgery (TORS) at University College Hospital.
He is a principal investigator for the PATHOS trial (a multi centre study to evaluate treatments for HPV related H&N cancers).
Education and training - Mr Stimpson sits on the Pan Thames Training Programme Management Group and has a lead role in organising regional training for higher surgical trainees in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery.
Sport and fitness
2013 - Marshall Prize for Surgical Research awarded by Monash University, Melbourne (Australia)
2013 - Royal College of Surgeons Ethicon travel award
2012 - HCA Foundation Surgical Fellowship award
2012 - Alice Maud Hal Travel award to attend microsurgical training course
2010 - Hartopp-Dixon award for best registrar presentation at Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital
2009 - Best clinical audit, Queens Hospital, Romford
Mr Stimpson has published over 25 papers including most recently:
1. Introduction of an Outpatient Safety Checklist: Our Experience
Clinical Otolaryngology (2016)
2. Ultrasound Guided Assessment of Thyroid Nodules Based on the 2014 British Thyroid Association Guidelines for the Management of Thyroid Cancer – How we do it
Clinical Otolaryngology (2016)
3. Head and Neck Cancer Recurrence – A Prospective Analysis of 401 Visits to an Australian Cancer Centre
Clinical Otolaryngology (2014)
4. Supraglottic IgG-4 Related Plasma Cell Granuloma: Case Report and Literature Review
Head and Neck (2014)
5. Middle-Ear Involvement in Type I Gaucher’s Disease
Journal of Laryngology and Otology (2013)
6. Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate Sclerotherapy for Treating Venous Malformations of the Oral and Pharyngeal Regions in Children
International Journal of Paediatric Otolaryngology (2012)
7. Cutaneous Seeding of Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Occult Primary Site Following Diagnostic Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology: A Case Report and Literature Review
(Accepted by ENT Journal – in press)
8. Histopathological and Ultrastructural Effects of Cutting Radiofrequency Energy on Palatal Soft Tissues
European Archives of Otolaryngology (2011)
9. Audit of tongue-tie Division in neonates with breastfeeding difficulties
Clinical Otolaryngology 2011
10. Imaging Strategies for Investigating Unilateral Vocal Cord Palsy – How Should We Do It?
Clinical Otolaryngology (2011)
11. Use of gel caps to aid endoscopic insertion of nasogastric feeding tubes: a comparative audit.
Head Neck Oncology (2011)
12. A Flexible Option for Organ Preservation in Head and Neck Surgery
Clinical Otolaryngology (2011)
13. Surgical Treatment for Ménière’s Disease
ENT and Audiology News (2011)
14. A Prospective Audit of an Important Change for Outpatient Procedure Coding in ENT: How We Do It
Clinical Otolaryngology (2010)
15. Iron Deficiency in Sleep Disordered Breathing – Cause or Effect?
International Journal of Paediatric Otolaryngology (2009)
Courses offered to GPs
I am happy to visit local practices to talk about ENT topics.
Please contact via: www.entcarelondon.com
I have provided lectures as part of the Highgate Hospital GP Masterclass
- Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons FRCS (ORL-HNS) Royal College of Surgeons 2012
- MSc Surgical Technology Imperial College 2009
- Diploma of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery (DOHNS) Royal College of Surgeons 2006
- Advanced Head and Neck Surgical Oncology Fellowship Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia 2013
Reference number 4742658
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paul Stimpson, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons
British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists (BAHNO)
British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons (BAETS)
British Laryngology Association (BLA)
- Highgate Private Hospital, N6 4DJ
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 020 8418 9393
- The London Clinic, W1G 6HL
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 020 7935 4444
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact the hospital directly or 07398263127 during office hours