- Fee assured
- Verified account
Derek is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with an interest in knee surgery, particularly arthroscopic and ligament reconstruction commonly required in sports injuries. He also has a particular interest in Computer Navigated Knee Replacement.
He is recognised as one of the UK's leading knee surgeons and takes referrals nationally and internationally including many high profile athletes.
He has held appointments as the Knee Tutor at the Royal College of Surgeons of England and served as an executive member of the British Association of Surgery of the Knee. He has also served on the board of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Derek is frequently invited to lecture on knee surgery at national and international meetings.
Areas of interest
Sports injuries; Knee surgery
All aspects of knee surgery, in particular knee ligament, meniscectomy and chondral surgery in sports trauma. Also minimally invasive knee replacement using computer aided navigation.
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Richard P Wroth Fee Assured
The Natural History of Post-traumatic Algodystrophy.
DR Bickerstaff MD FRCS FRCS Ed
University of Sheffield, 1991.
56. Bickerstaff D (2001) BASK Instructional Lecture 4: Anterior cruciate ligament graft fixation. Knee 8:79-81
55. Kakarlapudi TK, Bickerstaff DR (2001) Knee instability: isolated and complex. West J Med. 174: 266-72
54. Kumar A, Bickerstaff DR, Johnson TR, Appleton DF (2001) Day surgery anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: Sheffield experiences. Knee 8: 25-7
53. Bickerstaff D. (2000). BASK Instructional lecture 4: Anterior cruciate ligament graft fixation. Knee 8:79-81.
52. Kumar A, Jones S, Bickerstaff DR, Smith TW (2001) Functional evaluation of the modified Elmslie-Trillat procedure for patello-femoral dysfunction. Knee 8; 287-92
51. Taggart TF, Kumar A, Suvarna SK, Bickerstaff DR (2001) Osseous metaplasia as a cause of loss of extension after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy 17: 405-7
50. Grimwood JS, Kumar A, Bickerstaff DR, Suvarna SK. (2000) Histological assessment of vertebral bone in Down’s syndrome adult with osteoporosis. Histopathology 36;279-80.
49. Kakarlapudi T K, Bickerstaff D R. (2000). Knee instability: isolated and complex British Journal of Sports Medicine Vol 35 No 5
48. Gosal HS, Jackson AM, Bickerstaff DR. (1999) Intra-articular steroids after arthroscopy for osteoarthritis of the knee. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 81B; 952-954.
47. Kumar A, Bickerstaff DR, Grimwood JS, Suvarna SK. (1999). Mucoid cystic degeneration of the cruciate ligament The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 81B;304-305.
46. Kumar A, Jones S, Bickerstaff DR. (1999) Posterolateral reconstruction of the knee: a tunnel technique for proximal fixation. The Knee 6 (4);257-260
45. Price JS, Till SH, Bickerstaff DR, Bayliss MT, Hollander AP. (1999). Degradation of cartilage type II collagen precedes the onset of osteoarthritis following anterior cruciate ligament rupture. Journal of Arthritis and Rheumatism 42: 2390-8
44. Shahane SA, Ibbotson C, Strachan R, Bickerstaff DR. (1999) The popliteofibular ligament. An anatomical study of the posterolateral corner of the knee. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 81B;636-642.
43. Mubashir A, Bickerstaff DR (1998) Synovial osteochondromatosis of the cruciate ligament. Arthroscopy 14: 627-9
Courses offered to GPs
All aspects of knee surgery including:
Diagnosis and management
Meniscal and chondral injuries
Advances in knee surgery
Computer Navigated knee surgery
- Sports Medicine Fellowship Fellow of the Royal College of Sports and Exercise Medicine 1995
- Surgical Fellowship Royal College of Surgeons of England 1986
- Surgical Fellowship Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1986
- MD Sheffield 1991
- MBChB Sheffield University 1982
- Sports Trauma Fellowship SportsMed SA, Adelaide, Australia 1992
Reference number 2614331
Details of entry to specialist register
- Orthopaedic/trauma, 1992
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association
British Association of Knee Surgery
British Sports Trauma Association
- BMI Thornbury Hospital, S10 3BR
- 09:00 - 17:00
- 0114 250 5515
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Hospital where surgery took place
Thornbury 0114 2661133