- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I completed my specialist training in Rheumatology and General Medicine with the East of England Deanery in 2012, having worked at various District General Hospitals in the region and at Addenbrooke's University Hospital in Cambridge.
I then worked as an NHS consultant at Mid Essex Hospital Trust in Chelmsford between 2012-2017. As a consultant in Chelmsford I gained considerable clinical experience managing complex musculoskeletal disease. I also developed an appreciation of the psychosocial impact that chronic disease and pain has on the lives of patients and their families.
There is now growing evidence that many autoimmune diseases occur in clusters across different body systems (such as the gut and the joints) and my approach to diagnosis and treatment takes into account the body 'as a whole'.
I believe that appropriate early intervention can prevent long term chronic disease and disability and in March 2017 I moved my NHS practice to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge to pursue my research interests in Early Arthritis.
Areas of interest
Early inflammatory arthritis;
Inflammatory back pain;
Fibromyalgia and conditions that mimic fibromyalgia;
Inflammatory bowel disease associated arthritis;
Systemic lupus erythematosus (and related conditions); psoriatic arthritis; ankylosing spondylitis; Sjogren's syndrome;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Rheumatologist Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge (Current)
Consultant Rheumatologist Broomfield Hospital (2012-2017)
Associate Medical Director (Associate Chief Medical Officer) Mid Essex Hospital Dec 2015-Dec 2016
Head of Rheumatology Clinical Trials and Research at Mid Essex Hospital (2012 to 2017).
Rheumatoid arthritis: I have been Principal Investigator on a number of clinical trials of novel therapies in rheumatoid arthritis. I am also a member of the British Society of Rheumatology (BSR) guidelines working group and have been involved in a number of collaborative research projects with other units across the country.
Early spondyloarthritis (inflammatory back pain): I have published research papers and have done clinical trials in this area.
Best Clinical Research Team: NHS North Thames Regional CLRN Research Awards (2009)
Clinical Excellence Award, Mid Essex Hospital NHS Trust 2014
1. Nikiphorou E, Negoescu A, Fitzpatrick JD, Goudie CT, Badcock A, Ostor AJ, Malaviya AP. Indispensible or intolerable? Methotrexate in rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis: a retrospective review of discontinuation rates from a large UK cohort. J Rheumatol. 2014; 33 (5): 609-14
2. Malaviya AP, Ledingham J, et al. The 2013 BSR and BHPR guideline for the use of intravenous tocilizumab in the treatment of adult patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2014; 56(7):1344-6
3. Malaviya AP, Ostor AJK. Drug adherence and compliance with biologic DMARDS with a special emphasis on the benefits of subcutaneous abatacept. Patient Pref Adherence. 2012. (In press)
4. Malaviya AP, Ostor A. ‘The Harlequin Sign’. Benign blush or the bearer of bad news. Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Apr 5. doi: 10.1002/art.34487.
5. Malaviya AP, Ostor AJ. Rheumatoid arthritis and the era of biologic therapy. Inflammopharmacology. 2012;20(2):59-69
6. Malaviya AP, Hall FC. Targeting CVD in chronic connective tissue disease. Practitioner. 2012. 256(1747): 21-26
7. Malaviya AP, Ostor AJ. Early diagnosis crucial in ankylosing spondylitis. Practitioner. 2011;255(1746): 21-24
8. Malaviya AP, Dasgupta B. An approach to the diagnosis and assessment of childhood vasculitis. Indian J Paed (Rheumatology suppl). 2009.
9. Burr ML, Malaviya AP, et al. Rituximab in Rheumatoid Arthritis following anti-TNF associated Tuberculosis. Rheumatol. 2008; 47: 738-739
10. Patel AL, Malaviya AP, et al. Kerosene Poisoning- Varied Systemic Manifestations. JAPI. 52(1):65-66
11. Patel AL, Malaviya AP, et al. Primary systemic amyloidosis. JAPI. 2004;52:335-7
12. Patel AL, Malaviya AP, et al. Patent ductus arteriosus with a left to right shunt in a 64-year-old asymptomatic male. JAPI. 2004;52:753-5.
Courses offered to GPs
I am very happy to offer or partake in GP education sessions and have done so on several occasions in the past.
Reference number 6100700
Affiliations / memberships
Registered Clinician with the GMC (on specialist register)
Member of Royal College of Physicians (London)
Member of British Society of Rheumatology
- Lawn LaneSpringfieldCHELMSFORDCM1 7GU
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01245 235194
- Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital, Cambridge
- 17:00 - 21:00
- 01245 235194
- Springfield Hospital Chelmsford
- 14:00 - 22:00
- 01245 235194
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
For emergencies please call me on my mobile 07727158333