- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Breast specialist
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Breast surgery
- Breast specialist
Award winning, London trained , experienced Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon. Trained in some of the most prestigious unit in the UK, to include, Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals NHS Trust, the prestigious National Oncoplastic Fellowship in Essex and post CCT fellowship at the world renowned Breast Unit at the Royal Marsden Hospital.
Currently working as a Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and BMI Albyn Hospital. Along with the standard breast operation to include the lumpectomy and mastectomy along with axillary surgery, I am trained to do a full range of level one and level 2 oncoplastic techniques to excise the breast cancer and reshape/rec construct the breast to include Mammoplasties (round clock, lateral, vertical scar, wise pattern), Chest wall Perforator Flaps, I also offer breast reconstruction with Implant/Expander with/without ADM, LD flap reconstruction for selected cases and Free Flap reconstruction with my plastic surgery colleagues.
I am an honorary lecturer at the University of Aberdeen and a co-lead on the medical law and ethics course for the medical students and also a Tutor for the MS Oncoplastic Breast Surgery at the University of East Anglia. I have more than 20 publications and currently have more than £200K in research grants over the last 5 year as a co-applicant on research projects. Sit it on national and international committees to include the Education and Training Committee of the Association of Breast Surgery and The European Society of Surgical Oncology and also Examine in the European Board in Breast Surgery.
Areas of interest
Breast Cancer Surgery; Oncoplastic Breast Surgery; therapeutic mammoplasty; Breast Reconstruction; Revision surgery after previous breast cancer surgery
- iBreastBook Educational Website I design with lots of videos on breast surgery
- Personal Website
- Aberdeen University Website
- I want Great Care
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Breast Surgeon at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, NHS Grampian, AB25 2ZN
1- Breast MRI, especially MRS and Fast Field Cycling MRI.
2- Pleomorphic Lobular Carcinoma in Situ
3- Rare types of Breast Cancer
4- Breast Cancer in Young Patinets
5- Sentinel Node Biopsy
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
1. Senn N et al. Q-space imaging yields a higher effect gradient to assess cellularity than conventional diffusion weighted imaging methods at 3T: A pilot study using freshly excised whole breast tumors (2019). Radiology: Imaging Cancer.
2. Mallikourti V, et al . Optimal Phased-Array Signal Combination For Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Measurement In Breast Cancer Using Multiple Quantum Coherence MR Spectroscopy At 3T.(2019). Sci Rep. Jun 25;9(1):9259.
3. Romics L, et al. A population-based audit of surgical practice and outcomes of oncoplastic breast conservations in Scotland (2018). EJSO, 44(7): 939-944.
4. Masannat Y, et al. Pleomorphic LCIS what do we know? A UK multicenter audit of pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ (2018). The Breast. 38:120-124
5. Tang SS, et al (2017). Current margin practice and effect on re-excision rates following the publication of the SSO-ASTRO consensus and ABS consensus guidelines: a national prospective study of 2858 women undergoing breast-conserving therapy in the UK and Ireland. Eu J Cancer Oct;84:315-324.
6. Abdalla S, et al (2014). Pathological Nipple Discharge. OAJ Sci Tech. Volume 2 (2014)
7. Masannat Y, et al (2009). DNA Damaging Effects of the Dyes Used in Sentinel Node Biopsy: Possible Implications for Clinical Practice. J Surg Res. 15;154(2):234-8.
8. Masannat Y, et al (2007). Adverse effects of dyes used in sentinel node biopsy on immunohistochemical determination of hormone receptors in breast cancer cells. J Clin Path. 60:730-732.
9. O’Connell RL, et al, iBRA-2 Steering Group; (2019). The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the time to delivery of adjuvant therapy: the iBRA-2 study. Br J Cancer,
10. O’Connell RL, et al, TeaM Steering Group (2018).Current practice and short term outcomes of therapeutic mammaplasty in the international TeaM multicentre prospective cohort study. BJS, 105(13):1778-1792
11. Douek M, ethnically al, SentiMAG Trialists Group (2014). Sentinel Node Biopsy Using a Magnetic Tracer Versus Standard Technique: The SentiMAG Multicentre Trial. Annals Surg Oncol. 21(4):1237-45
12. Masannat Y, et al (2019). Accepted for publication at the Annals of the RCS
13. Masannat Y, et al (2013). Challenges in the Management of Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast. The Breast. 22(2):194-196
14. Masannat Y, et al (2006). Review article: properties and characteristics of the dyes injected to assist axillary sentinel node localization in breast surgery. EJSO. 32(4):381
Courses offered to GPs
please check www.ibreastbook.com
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-yazan-masannat
- MBBS Jordan University of Science and Technology 2000
- MRCSEd The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2005
- Doctorate of Medicine by Thesis (MD) University of Leeds 2009
- FRCSEd Intercollegiate Speciality Board, the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2011
- FEBS (Fellow of the European Board of Breast Surgery) European Board of Surgery Qualification 2013
- Diploma in Breast Reconstructive MicroSurgery, (DBRM) Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona 2017
- The National Oncoplastic Fellowship (Training Interface Group) St Andrews Center for Plastics and Burns, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex, 2012
- Post CCT Oncoplastic Fellow The Royal Marsden Hospital, London 2013
Reference number 5207533
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Education and Training Committee Member The Association of Breast Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland 2019
- Education and Training Committee Member European Society of Surgical Oncology 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in General Surgery in February 2014, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
The Association of Breast Surgery
The European Society of Surgical Oncology
The British Medical Association
The Medical Defence Union
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.