- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Pearce trained at Guy’s, King’s & St. Thomas’ Medical School graduating in 2002 achieving Honorary Life Membership for academic, sporting and executive committee contributions. He underwent surgical training in several prestigious London teaching hospitals including the Kings College Hospital Surgical Rotation, St Mary’s Hospital, The Royal London Hospital and St George’s Hospital. He was a registrar on the South East Thames Orthopaedic Rotation before being appointed as a Consultant in Conquest and Eastbourne Hospitals in 2014.
Mr Pearce spent a year in Sydney, Australia on a Professorial Fellowship with some of the world’s leading surgeons in hip and knee arthroplasty and reconstructive surgery and then a further 6 months in Guy’s Hospital, London on a Fellowship in knee surgery. This experience of the leading edge of surgery included the latest implant technology, using real-time computer navigation insertion techniques and bespoke patient matched instruments. He has continued his interest in research and innovation and has several patents in medical technology including devices aimed at reducing infection rates in major surgery.
Mr Pearce also enjoys teaching surgeons-in-training as well as other healthcare professionals. He has taught on the South East Thames Orthopaedic programme and as invited faculty on courses for Consultant exams.
Areas of interest
Sports Injury; Arthroscopy; Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction; Torn meniscus; Cartilage damage; High Tibial Osteotomy; Knee replacement; Hip replacement; knee pain; hip pain; arthritis; osteoarthritis; rheumatoid arthritis; groin pain
- Amanda Roots
- Spire Sussex Hospital The Ridge ST LEONARDS-ON-SEA TN37 7RE
- 01424 757414
- 01424 757453
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Ian Hicks Not Fee Assured
- Dr Alex Trimmings Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon
East Sussex Healthcare Trust
Mr Pearce has published extensively in the orthopaedic literature and in the wider medical and surgical fields. He has presented his research at international, national and regional level. He is also co-author of a post-graduate medical textbook for surgical examinations.
Mr Pearce enjoys playing all racquet sports and is the previous winner of county championships in badminton and captained university teams for both tennis and badminton. He continues to play at a league-winning competitive club level. Whilst in Sydney he was part of the winning crew in a 48ft yacht in the Sydney Hospitals Boat Race.
Fred Heatley Podium Prize
Charnley Latta Travelling Scholarship
William K Walter Research Prize
East Kent Orthopaedic Travelling Bursary
•‘Pearce’s MRCS Companion: Applied Basic Sciences and Clinical Surgery’ TFM Publishing, July 08, ISBN -10: 1903378486.
• Pearce S, Chow JC, Walter WL. ‘Direct Anterior Approach Using Navigation Improves Accuracy of Cup Position Compared to Conventional Posterior Approach’ Cureus 2017 9. 10.7759/cureus.1482
• Tai S, Munir S, Walter W, Pearce S, Walter W, Zicat B. (2014). Squeaking in Large Diameter Ceramic-on-Ceramic Bearings in Total Hip Arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 30. 10.1016/j.arth.2014.09.010.
• Pearce S, Jenabzadeh AR, Walter WL, Walter WK, Gillies M, ‘Spontaneous fracture of S-ROM prosthesis: A review of 2 cases. BMJ Case Rep 2014 10.1136/bcr-2013-202813
• Pearce S, Jack CJ, Molloy DM, Walter WL, Zicat B, Walter WK ‘Limited Femorotomy: Removing a well fixed cementless stem.’ Seminars in Arthroplasty 2013 June; 24(2) 106-110
• Imbuldeniya A, Pearce S, Walter WL, Zicat B, Walter WK ‘Increasing patient obesity: do I or don’t I operate?’ Seminars in Arthroplasty September 2013 24(3) 128-131
• Imbuldeniya A, Pearce S, Walter WL ‘Squeaking: Current knowledge and how to avoid it’ Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2013 Dec;6(4):342-9
• Jenabzadeh AR, Pearce S, Walter WL ‘Total Hip Replacement: Ceramic on ceramic’ Seminars in Arthroplasty, 2012 Dec; 23(4) 232-240
• Pearce S, Gupte C, Elsabagh S, Prince M ‘Tibiocolcaneal angle as a radiological sign of TA rupture’ J Foot Ankle Surg;2012 Mar-Apr; 51(2):176-8
• Pearce S, Spence G ‘Freehand technique for pinning in situ of slipped upper femoral epiphysis’ Ann R Coll Surg; 2012 Mar; 94(2):135
• Pearce S, Colville R ‘Nail bed repair in Children and Patient Satisfaction‘. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2010 Sep;92(6):483-5. Epub 2010 May 28
• Weinberg AM, Amerstorfer F, Fischerauer, Pearce S, Schmidt B ‘Paediatric diaphyseal forearm refractures after greenstick fractures: Operative management with Elastic Stable Intramedullary Nailing’. Injury 2009 Apr 40 (4):414-7
• Gill IR, Pearce S, Iossifidis A ‘Case study: A rare case of posterior interosseus nerve palsy following distal biceps tendon repair’ Injury Extra Volume 37 Issue 6 June 2006, Pages 244-246, May 2006.
Courses offered to GPs
Knee arthroscopy & Blue Vaseline
High Tibial Osteotomy
Hip Squeak - Choosing the right implant
Nickel allergy in joint replacements
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.njrsurgeonhospitalprofile.org.uk/SurgeonProfile?gmccode=6055043
- MBBS Guy's, King's & St Thomas Hospitals Medical School 2002
- MSc (Orthopaedics) Brighton University 2013
- FRCS (Tr & Orth) Royal College of Surgeons (Eng) 2011
- Professorial Fellowship (Hip & Knee) Specialist Orthopaedic Group, Sydney, Australia 2013
- Knee Fellowship Guy's Hospital, London, UK 2014
Reference number 6055043
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma & Orthopaedic Specialist Register, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association
British Association of Surgeons of the Knee
British Hip Society
- The Ridge ST LEONARDS-ON-SEA TN37 7RE
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01424 757414
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details