- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Home chemotherapy
Dr John Conibear MBBCh BSc MSc MRCP FRCR specialises in all aspects of treatment for both breast and lung cancers. He has particular expertise in chemotherapy, biological therapy, immunotherapy, radiotherapy and new radiotherapy techniques including Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), image guided radiotherapy (IGRT), 4D-CT and Cyberknife. He currently uses state-of-the-art radiotherapy techniques in all aspects of his oncology practise. He utilises a treatment technique called deep-inspiration breath-hold to minimise the radiation dose received by the heart when treating left-sided breast cancers. He also uses 4D-CT planning to treat lung cancers and the advanced Cyberknife system to eradicate early lung cancers without the need for surgery.
Areas of interest
Breast Oncology; Lung Oncology; IMRT; IGRT; Cyberknife Stereotactic Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy; Targeted Therapies for Breast and Lung Cancer; Immunotherapy
- Ms Juliet Willes
- Holly House Private Hospital High Road Buckhurst Hill IG9 5HX
- 020 8936 1263
Current NHS consultant posts held
Dr Conibear completed his undergraduate medical studies in the University Hospital of Wales before completing his post-graduate clinical oncology training in St. Bartholomew’s, Southend, Queens and Mount Vernon Hospitals. Before his consultant appointment in St. Bartholomew’s Hospital he conducted his research in Mount Vernon and the Royal Marsden Hospital where his research focused on improving clinician target outlining during radiotherapy planning.
• Methods of improving radiotherapy target accuracy.
• Cyberknife / Stereotactic Radiotherapy.
• Developing and implementing new technologies for state-of-the-art radiotherapy delivery.
• Immunotherapy in combination with radiotherapy.
I enjoy spending time with my young family and playing sports.
• 1st prize in the 2012 Journal of Laryngology and Otology Clinical Record category for paper ‘Bevacizumab treatment for vestibular schwannomas in neurofibromatosis type 2: report of two cases, including responses after prior gamma knife and vascular endothelial growth factor inhibition therapy’.
• Certificate from University of Bristol on Foundation Course in the History of Medicine, 1997.
• ESTRO 2015 Poster ‘Volumetric Versus Anatomical Outlining: Target Delineation Conformity in a Multi-Centre Head and Neck Trial.’
• BTOG 2015 Poster ‘Retrospective Review of Survival Outcomes for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) Patients Treated with Radical Radiotherapy Since 2000 in St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London.’
• BUG 2014 Poster ‘A Novel Method of Optimising the CTV to PTV Margin in Prostate Radiotherapy Using Fiducials and Strict Organ Filling.’
• ASTRO 2013 Poster ‘Multi-centre clinical assessment of atlas-based contouring.’
• ASTRO 2013 Poster ‘Multi-center assessment of auto-contouring using Deformable Image Registration for adaptive therapy.’
• Book chapter ‘Radiation Therapy in the Management of Prostate Cancer.’ J. Conibear and P.J Hoskin in book on management of prostate cancer. Editors Peter Wheelan, Ashutish Tewari and John Graham; Publication pending, 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
• ESTRO 2013 Poster ‘A Survey of Cervix Radiotherapy Practice for the INTERLACE Trial.’
• ESTRO 2013 Poster ‘Assessment of Target Volume Contour Variability within a UK Multicentre Lung Radiotherapy Trial.’
• ESTRO 2013 Poster ‘Impact of Quality Assurance on Contour Conformity within Two UK Head & Neck Radiotherapy Trials.’
• ESTRO 2013 Poster ‘Field-based and volume-based PTV as plan evaluation structures in the UK FAST-Forward breast trial.’
• Published Article ‘Improving radiotherapy quality assurance in clinical trials: assessment of target volume delineation of the pre-accrual benchmark case.’
• World GI 2012 poster ‘Use of dose-modified CAPIRI in metastatic colorectal cancer: reducing toxicity whilst maintaining efficacy.’
• Published review ‘High-precision MRI-guided adaptive brachytherapy for cervical carcinoma.’
Courses offered to GPs
• New Advances in Breast Cancer Management
• New Advances in Oncology
• New Technologies and Treatment Techniques in Radiotherapy Delivery
- BSc in The History Of Medicine & Applied Biomedical Sciences University College Of London & Wellcome Trust 1999
- MBBCh University of Wales College of Medicine 2001
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 2006
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists 2010
- MSc in Oncology UCL & Institute of Cancer research 2011
- Accuray Cyberknife Training Course Accuray 2015
- Advanced Communication Skills Course School of Clinical Oncology 2014
- Radiotherapy Trials Quality Assurance Clinical Fellowship Mount Vernon Hospital 2011
Reference number 6028729
Details of entry to specialist register
- Clinical Oncology, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
• Royal College of Physicians.
• Royal College of Radiologists.
• The European Society for Radiotherapy & Oncology (ESTRO).
• Member of the UK Radiotherapy Trials Quality Assurance (RTTQA) Group.
- LOC @ 95 Harley Street
- 16:00 - 18:30
- 020 7317 2680
- The Holly Hospital
- 15:30 - 17:30
- 020 8936 1263
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.