- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Open Referral network
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Short Term Psychodynamic Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Transactional Analysis (TA)
My overall background is one of working within the NHS in a variety of roles and settings which has given me insight into the stresses and common mental health problems that may present and how to manage them in a healthy way.
As a therapist I am a reflective practitioner, able to assess and audit my practice with experience of managing time and caseloads, carrying out risk assessments with the ability to liaise, refer back to the GP or other agencies, as appropriate.
The Therapeutic Relationship is central in all my client work. As a person centred, humanistic practitioner I use an integrative approach, the framework of which is Transactional Analysis. I have interest and knowledge in varied treatments, techniques and models of service eg relationship model, attachment theory, gestalt, CBT, working with the Inner Child, a psychodynamic approach. I also enjoy working creatively dependant on client need eg imagery and metaphor, drawing.etc
As an Accredited EMDR Practitioner I am able to work a variety of conditions eg: single event trauma, PTSD, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, stress, complicated grief, low self -esteem and performance anxiety. Hold current professional indemnity insurance. Enhanced CRB Clearance.
Areas of interest
Post Traumatic Stress (PTSD); Anxiety; Mild to Moderate Depression; Life Stages; Low Self-Esteem; Grief; Loss; Relationship Difficulties; Adjustment; Bereavement; Trauma; Physical, sexual , emotional Abuse; Severe Depression; Stress Management
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Gynaecological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Linkedin : https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/shelagh-brown/a2/996/59b
Current NHS consultant posts held
NTW NHS Foundation Trust Counsellor/EMDR Therapist
Aug 2012- 2015
2015- Present Talking Matters Northumberland
I work autonomously out of different venues throughout Northumberland each week. Care is provided to individuals who present with mild /moderate symptoms over approx.6-10 sessions; commonly: anxiety, depression, bereavement, loss, relationship difficulties, stress, work related difficulties, trauma, anger management, low self esteem.
- Dip Therapeutic Counselling Northern Guild for Psychotherapy 2006
- P.G./Dip. Integrative Humanistic Psychotherapy University of Cardiff 2007
- EMDR Practitioner- Accredited EMDR Europe 2018
- Brief Focal Therapy Northern Guild for Psychotherapy 2003
- TA101 Certificate Northern Guild for Psychotherapy 2003
- Certificate in Supervision Northern Guild for Psychotherapy 2007
Affiliations / memberships
UKCP accredited Psychotherapist – registration number 07158945
5 yr re-accreditation and registration completed Sept 2018
Member of EMDR Europe and Ireland - Accredited November 2018
Member of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy College
Member of NMC: registration no: 77J2497E
- Berwick Workspace', Boarding School Yard, 90...
- 09:30 - 17:00
- 07917 679227
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.