- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Michael Karampelas is a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Watford General Hospital and St Albans City Hospital where he is the clinical director of the ophthalmology department. He has had subspecialist training in the fields of medical retina and uveitis. His particular area of clinical interest lies in the management of uveitis (intra-ocular inflammation), age related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. Mr Karampelas always puts the needs of his patients first. In a very friendly and approachable way, he explains in detail the nature of eye conditions and advises on best treatments.
Areas of interest
age related macular degeneration ; intraocular inflammation; uveitis; intravitreal treatments, retinal laser surgery, general ophthalmology; retinal vascular disease
Current NHS consultant posts held
WEST HERTS NHS TRUST (WATFORD GENERAL HOSPITAL-ST.ALBANS GENERAL HOSPITAL)
CLINICAL LEAD-OPHTHALMOLOGY DEPARTMENT
CLINICAL LEAD- DIABETIC EYE DISEASE SERVICE
Mr Karampelas has a strong interest in teaching and research, having worked as a UCL under-graduate lecturer as well as a research fellow at Moorfields Eye Hospital clinical trials unit. He has several peer reviewed publications and he is an invited reviewer for international journals. He has extensive experience in diagnosing and managing intra-ocular inflammation, a challenging and demanding field.
Outside work, I enjoy the theatre, music, sports and reading quantum physics.
1. Choroidal Vascularity Index (CVI) - A Novel Optical Coherence Tomography Parameter for Monitoring Patients with Panuveitis? Agrawal R, Salman M, Tan KA, Karampelas M, Sim DA, Keane PA, Pavesio C. PLoS One. 2016 Jan 11;11(1)
2. Evaluation of Objective Vitritis Grading Method Using Optical Coherence Tomography: Influence of Phakic Status and Previous Vitrectomy.Zarranz-Ventura J, Keane PA, Sim DA, Llorens V, Tufail A, Sadda SR, Dick AD, Lee RW, Pavesio C, Denniston AK, Adan A; EQUATOR Study Group.Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 Oct 23.
3. A prospective randomised controlled clinical trial comparing a combination of repeated intravitreal Ozurdex and macular laser therapy versus macular laser only in centre-involving diabetic macular oedema (OZLASE study).
Heng LZ, Sivaprasad S, Crosby-Nwaobi R, Saihan Z, Karampelas M, Bunce C, Peto T, Hykin PG.Br J Ophthalmol. 2015 Oct 15
4. Quantitative analysis of peripheral vasculitis, ischemia, and vascular leakage in uveitis using ultra-widefield fluorescein angiography.
Karampelas M, Sim DA, Chu C, Carreno E, Keane PA, Zarranz-Ventura J, Westcott M, Lee RW, Pavesio CE.Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 Jun;159(6)
5. Missed Hospital Appointments of Patients Receiving Ranibizumab Therapy for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
Karampelas M, Pefkianaki M, Rees A, Gill N, Kotecha A, Hamilton R, Nikita E, Patel PJ.Ophthalmol Ther. 2015 Jun;4(1):43-9
6. Objective Measurement of Vitreous Inflammation Using Optical Coherence Tomography.
Keane PA, Karampelas M, Sim DA, Sadda SR, Tufail A, Sen HN, Nussenblatt RB, Dick AD, Lee RW, Murray PI, Pavesio CE, Denniston AK.
Ophthalmology. 2014 May 15.
7. Patterns of Peripheral Retinal and Central Macula Ischemia in Diabetic Retinopathy as Evaluated by Ultra-widefield Fluorescein Angiography.
Sim DA, Keane PA, Rajendram R, Karampelas M, Selvam S, Powner MB, Fruttiger M, Tufail A, Egan CA.Am J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jul;158(1):144-15
8. Quantitative analysis of diabetic macular ischemia using optical coherence tomography.
Sim DA, Keane PA, Fung S, Karampelas M, Sadda SR, Fruttiger M, Patel PJ, Tufail A, Egan CA.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Jan 21;55(1):417-23
9. An atypical case of choroidal neovascularization associated with pseudoxanthoma elasticum treated with intravitreal bevacizumab: a case report.
Karampelas M, Soumplis V, Karagiannis D, Parikakis E, Webster AR.
BMC Res Notes. 2013 Dec 11;6(1):530
Courses offered to GPs
1. New Developments in Retinal Disease
GP Ophthalmology Masterclass. Spire Bushey, November 2015
2. OCT: Basic Guidelines for Interpretation
Hertfordshire LOC, March 2015
3. Fundus Autofluorescence
Hertfordshire LOC, March 2015
4. Neovascular AMD: criteria for retreatment
Karampelas M, Dowler J
46 rd Greek Ophthalmology Congress, Costa Navarino, May 2013.
- Medical Retina-Teaching Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 2011
- Uveitis-Research Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 2012
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2015
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology American Academy of Ophthalmology 2015
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology European Board of Ophthalmology 2010
Affiliations / memberships
- Heathbourne Road Bushey Heath BUSHEY WD23 1RD
- 18:00 - 19:00
- 020 8901 5555
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.