- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Behaviour Therapy
- Behavioural Couples Therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Family Therapy
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Transactional Analysis (TA)
I have over ten years experience in the field of general practice, and have also worked as an addictive behaviour specialist in both residential and community settings with individuals, couples and families.
I am trained to work with people in an integrative manner and have a Master of Arts Degree and Postgraduate Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy from the University of Wales. This means that I am qualified to use a variety of therapeutic approaches and can tailor my work to meet the needs of each individual client. This is crucial, as I believe that every client has the innate capacity to make their life better; my job is just to help people relocate that spark. My aim is to make counselling a positive and optimistic experience; a case of making life even better rather than fixing what is wrong.
I specialise in the field of addictive and compulsive behaviours and am passionate about helping people to understand and experience recovery from such difficulties. These problematic behaviours can involve alcohol, drugs, food, OCD behaviours or self-harm to name some examples. I have written research papers in this area and work alongside governmental agencies to better understand and address such difficulties on a local level.
Please take a look at my recent therapy and training testimonials at www.stephengthomas.com. These should give you an idea of how I work and my exciting and optimistic approach to therapy.
Areas of interest
Addiction; addictive behaviours; compulsive behaviours; substance misuse; recovery; anxiety; depression; stress; anger management; workplace stress; confidence; relationship issues; sexuality issues; sex issues.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
Addictions; substance misuse; addictive behaviours; compulsive behaviours; martial arts and therapy; recovery.
Martial Arts; Travel; Laughter.
- Master of Arts (Counselling and Psychotherapy) University of Wales 2010
- Postgraduate Diploma (Counselling and Psychotherapy) University of Wales 2009
- Batchelor of Arts (Community Justice) University of Wales 2007
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Accreditation British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists 2013
- Registration British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists 2009
Details of entry to specialist register
- British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists Register, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists