- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Dr. Amarnath Challapalli is a Consultant Clinical Oncologist specialising in the treatment of urological cancers with radiotherapy, brachytherapy and chemotherapy. He also specialises in the treatment of non-melanomatous skin cancer with radiotherapy. He previously worked as a Locum Consultant Clinical Oncologist at The Royal Marsden Hospital, and was appointed to a substantive post in University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust in February 2014.
Dr. Challapalli undertook his medical training at Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, India and specialised in clinical oncology (M.D. Radiotherapy) at Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India. He worked in the UK, since 2004 as a Clinical Fellow in Bristol, Christie Hospital, Manchester and at the Hammersmith Hospital, London, during which he completed his MRCP and FRCR examinations, and obtained the Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (CESR) in 2011.
He subsequently completed PhD at Imperial College, London in January 2014. His research focused on the translation of novel PET tracers looking at cell proliferation, apoptosis and choline metabolism into clinical studies to look at early response assessment to treatment. He has been selected to attend the prestigious 13th joint ECCO-AACR-EORTC-ESMO Workshop ‘Methods in Clinical Cancer Research’ at Waldhaus Flims, Switzerland in June 2011. His work has been published in peer-reviewed journals and presented at international meetings.
Dr. Challapalli has a particular interest in developing high-dose rate brachytherapy techniques for the treatment of non-melanomatous skin cancers.
Areas of interest
prostate cancer; bladder cancer; renal cancer; penile cancer; testicular cancer radiotherapy; nonmelanoma skin cancers.
- Kim Newton
- Spire Oncology Centre South West 300 Park Avenue Aztec West Almondsbury Bristol BS32 4SY
- 01454 456500
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Clinical Oncologist, Bristol Cancer Institute, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust, Horfield Road, BS2 8ED
Prostate, Bladder and Kidney cancers
BIR/BAYER Make it better service award
Clinical team of the year 2016 for research in the trusts recognising success awards
English, Hindi, Telugu
1) Challapalli A, Aboagye EO. Positron Emission Tomography Imaging of Tumor Cell Metabolism and Application to Therapy Response Monitoring. Front Oncol. 2016 Feb 29;6:44
2) Challapalli A. New radiotracers in gynecological cancer: beyond 18F-FDG. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016 Jun; 60(2):139-53.
3) Gee A, Challapalli A, Bahl A. Health-related quality of life in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2015; 15(6):941-9.
4) Challapalli A, Trousil S, Hazell S., et al. Exploiting altered patterns of choline kinase-alpha expression on human prostate tissue to prognosticate prostate cancer. J Clin Pathol 2015 Sep; 68(9):703-709.
5) Challapalli, A., Barwick, T., Pearson, R., et al. 3'-Deoxy-3'-(18)F-fluorothymidine positron emission tomography as an early predictor of disease progression in patients with advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2015;42(6):831-840.
6) Challapalli, A., Barwick, T., Tomasi, G., et al. Exploring the potential of [11C]Choline-PET/CT as a novel imaging biomarker for predicting early treatment response in Prostate Cancer. Nucl Med Commun. 2014; 35(1): 20-29.
7) Challapalli A, Sharma R, Hallett W, et al. Biodistribution and radiation dosimetry study of deuterium substituted [18F]fluorocholine ([18F]D4-FCH) injection in healthy volunteers. J Nucl Med. 2014; 55(2): 256-263.
8) Challapalli A, Kenny L, Hallett W, et al. 18F-ICMT-11, a Caspase-3 specific PET tracer for Apoptosis: Biodistribution and Radiation dosimetry. J Nucl Med. 2013; 54(9):1551-1556.
9) Eccles A, Challapalli A, Khan S, Barwick T, Mangar S. Thyroid Lymphoma Incidentally Detected by 18F-Fluorocholine (FCH) PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2013 Sep;38(9):755-7.
10) Challapalli A, Jones E, Hellawell G, Mangar SA. High Dose Rate Prostate Brachytherapy - An overview of the rationale, experience and emerging applications in the treatment of prostate cancer. Br J Radiol. 2012;85 Spec No 1:S18-27.
11) Challapalli A, McLauchlan R, Robinson A, Taylor A, Harvey C, Mangar SA. Implementing image-guided prostate radiotherapy: use of the ACCULOC(R) system to optimise the planning target volume margins and to assess the potential clinical benefit. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2012;24:590-591.
- MBBS Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, India 2000
- MD (Radiotherapy) PGIMER, Chandigarh, India 2005
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, UK 2008
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists 2009
- PhD Imperial College, London 2014
Reference number 6031215
Details of entry to specialist register
- CESR Completion, 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Radiologists, London
British Uro-Oncology Group
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.