- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
- Home chemotherapy
Dr. Amarnath Challapalli is a Consultant Clinical Oncologist at Bristol Cancer Institute, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust specialising in the management of urological cancers and non-melanomatous skin cancer with radiotherapy, chemotherapy and immunotherapy. He chairs the clinical governance committee at the Bristol Cancer Institute and is a member of the Medicines advisory group (MAG). He organises and lectures in the skin cancer study day for the Royal College of Radiologists and is a faculty member on other courses for the college. He is also a panel member of Mirrors in Medicine, an International Case-based professional development platform. This panel pinpoints important clinical topics and provide a concise summary of evidence from clinical studies and guidelines. He also lectures on various topics both at regional and national level.
Dr. Challapalli undertook his medical and postgraduate training in clinical oncology in India and in the UK, achieving Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists. He subsequently completed a PhD at Imperial College, London in January 2014. His research focused on the translation of novel PET tracers looking at cell proliferation, apoptosis and choline metabolism into clinical studies to look at early response assessment to treatment. He is the UK Chief Investigator for the adjuvant Cemiplimab trial in high risk squamous cell carcinoma and a Co-Chief Investigator of the national multicentre ACE trial. His work has been published in peer-reviewed journals and presented at national and international meetings.
Areas of interest
prostate cancer; bladder cancer; renal cancer; penile cancer; testicular cancer radiotherapy; nonmelanoma skin cancers.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Clinical Oncologist, Bristol Cancer Institute, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust, Horfield Road, BS2 8ED
Prostate, Bladder, Penile, Kidney and non-melanoma skin cancers
2017 BIR/ Bayer Make it Better service National award for Radium-223 service
2016 Trials team of the year award for Research" in UHBristol NHS Foundation Trust Recognising success awards
2016 Highly commended in Clinical team of the year award for Prostate brachytherapy service in UHBristol NHS Foundation Trust Recognising success awards
2015 Clinical team of the year award for the Radium-223 isotope team in UHBristol NHS Foundation Trust Recognising success awards
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Telugu - Native or bilingual
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Basic
1) Challapalli A, Pearson S, Mitra AV, et al. A phase II trial of cabazitaxel as second line chemotherapy in relapsed locally advanced and/or metastatic carcinoma of the penis. J Int Med Res. 2019 Sep 10.
2) Challapalli A, Edwards SM, Abel P, Mangar SA. Evaluating the prevalence and predictive factors of vasomotor and psychological symptoms in prostate cancer patients receiving hormonal therapy: Results from a single institution experience. Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2018 Mar 21; 10:29-35.
3) Challapalli A, Carroll L, Aboagye EO. Molecular mechanisms of hypoxia in cancer. Clin Transl Imaging. 2017;5(3):225-253.
4) Sharma R, Mapelli P, Hanna GB, Goldin R, Power D, Al-Nahhas A, Merchant S, Ramaswami R, Challapalli A, Barwick T, Aboagye EO. Evaluation of (18)F-fluorothymidine positron emission tomography ([(18)F]FLT-PET/CT) methodology in assessing early response to chemotherapy in patients with gastro-oesophageal cancer. EJNMMI Res. 2016;6(1):81.
5) Baumann BC, Bosch WR, Bahl A, Birtle AJ, Breau RH, Challapalli A, et al. Development and Validation of Consensus Contouring Guidelines for Adjuvant Radiation Therapy for Bladder Cancer After Radical Cystectomy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;96(1):78-86.
6) Hilman S, Smith R, Masson S, Coomber H, Bahl A, Challapalli A, Jacobs P. Implementation of a Daily Transperineal Ultrasound System as Image-guided Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2017 Jan;29(1):e49.
7) Challapalli A, Aboagye EO. Positron Emission Tomography Imaging of Tumor Cell Metabolism and Application to Therapy Response Monitoring. Front Oncol. 2016; 6:44.
8) Challapalli A. New radiotracers in gynecological cancer: beyond ¹⁸F-FDG. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016;60(2):139-53.
9) Gee A, Challapalli A, Bahl A. Health-related quality of life in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2015;15(6):941-9.
10) Challapalli A, Trousil S, Hazell S, et al. Exploiting altered patterns of choline kinase-alpha expression on human prostate tissue to prognosticate prostate cancer. J Clin Pathol. 2015;68(9):703-9.
11) Challapalli A., Barwick, T., Pearson, R., et al. 3'-Deoxy-3'-(18)F-fluorothymidine positron emission tomography as an early predictor of disease progression in patients with advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2015;42(6):831-840.
- MBBS Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, India 2000
- MD (Radiotherapy) PGIMER, Chandigarh, India 2005
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, UK 2008
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists 2009
- PhD Imperial College, London 2014
Reference number 6031215
Details of entry to specialist register
- CESR Completion, 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Radiologists, London
British Uro-Oncology Group
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.