- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Breast specialist
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 15 Apr 2020
- Breast surgery
- Breast specialist
Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon at the Nightingale & Prevent Breast Cancer Prevention Centre, at Manchester Foundation Trust. The Nightingale Centre is nationally recognised as a centre of excellence for breast cancer treatment and is the largest unit in the UK.
National Fellowship in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery in 2010, under the tutorage of Plastic and Breast Reconstructive Surgeons in Sheffield.
He completed his surgical training in 2012 and was appointed as a Consultant in Breast and Breast Cancer Surgery. His specialist area within the NHS is exclusively breast disease and breast related problems, i.e. breast cancer surgery, breast reconstruction, aesthetic breast surgery and lipomodelling/fat transfer. Mr Harvey exclusively performs breast cosmetic surgery and reconstructive and revisional surgery and as a consequence of his good outcomes and reputation is an International speaker on the topics.
Mr Harvey is an invited speaker at International Breast Reconstructive meetings including the ORBS conference, Milano Breast Conference, Amsterdam Breast Conference and is a trainer for Allergan.
Mr Harvey is an active trainer, participating in the teaching of trainee breast and plastic surgeons at both local and national levels. Mr Harvey is author of the Oxford Handbook of Breast Disease Management and is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Manchester. He is lead for multiple trials in Manchester and in the UK, mainly introducing innovation to breast surgery and ensuring high quality outcomes for patients, particularly those have cancer and reconstructive surgery.
He has a large practice in consulting patients with a family history of breast cancer and in performing risk reducing mastectomies and reconstructions.
Areas of interest
Breast cancer; breast reconstruction; triple assessment; breast reduction; breast augmentation; breast lumps; Lipomodelling; gynaecomastia; risk reducing mastectomy; mastopexy; breast uplift; therapeutic mammaplasty; lipoaugmentation
- Jayne Bailey
- Consultantcare Riverside Building Mill Lane Cheadle SK8 2PX
- 0161 393 3993
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant breast surgeon, University Hospital of South Manchester
Patient outcomes in breast reconstruction.
Magnetic seed localisation of Breast Cancers
Polyurethane breast implants
Strattice Breast Reconstruction
Total Strattice Cover Breast Reconstruction
Fortiva breast reconstruction
Fund raising for Prevent Breast Cancer, long distance cycling challenges for the charity
AACR Scholar in Training
George Feggerter Medal
• Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Jul;176(2):311-319. 2019 Comparing long-term local recurrence rates of surgical and non-surgical management of close anterior margins in breast conserving surgery.
• Boundouki G1, Wong Sik Hee JR2, Croghan N2, Stocking K3, Pieri A4, Critchley A4, Kirwan CC2,5, Harvey JR2,5.
Is the future magnetic? Magseed localisation for non palpable breast cancer. A multi-centre non randomised control study
• Konstantinos Zacharioudakis, Sue Down, Zaheerah Bholah, Sum Lee, Taherah Khan, Anthony J. Maxwell, Miles Howe, James Harvey DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2019.06.035
• Opportunities and priorities for breast surgical research.
Lancet Oncol. 2018 Oct;19(10):e521-e533. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30511-4. Epub 2018 Oct 1. Cutress RI1, McIntosh SA2, Potter S3, Goyal A4, Kirwan CC5, Harvey J5, Francis A6, Carmichael AR7, Vidya R8, Vaidya JS9, Fairbrother P10, Benson JR11, Reed MWR12; Association of Breast Surgery Surgical Gap Analysis Working Group.
• A prospective comparison of short-term outcomes of subpectoral and prepectoral Strattice based immediate breast reconstruction. PRS May 2018 Volume 141 Issue 5 p1077-84
• Safety and feasibility of breast lesion localisation using Magnetic Seeds (Magseed): a multi-centre open label cohort study 2018 Breast Cancer Research and Treatments
• IDEAL? Response to Dikmans et al (2016) - Two-stage implant-based breast reconstruction compared with immediate one-stage implant-based breast reconstruction augmented with an acellular dermal matrix: an open-label, phase 4 controlled trial Mar 2017 Lancet Oncology
• Total duct excision through a linear radial areola incision. In Press. 2017 The Breast
• A randomised pilot study comparing 13 G vacuum-assisted biopsy and conventional 14 G core needle biopsy of axillary lymph nodes in women with breast cancer 2016 Clinical Radiology
• Infection Prevention in Breast Implant Surgery – A Review of the Surgical Evidence, Guidelines and a Checklist Review Article 2016 European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Simon P. Barr, Ashley R. Topps, Nicola L.P. Barnes, Julia Henderson, Sue Hignett, Rebecca Teasdale, Adrian McKenna, James R. Harvey, Cliona C. Kirwan, On behalf of the Northwest Breast Surgical Research Collaborative
• Duxbury PJ, Harvey JR Systematic review of the effectiveness of polyurethane-coated compared with textured silicone implants in breast surgery Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery Jan 2016
Breast reconstruction implant loss rate 3.4%
Breast augmentation implant infection rate 0%
Average patient rating on 360 degree feedback 5/5
- Mbbs University of Newcastle u Tyne 1998
- PhD University of Newcastle u Tyne 2006
- FRCSEd Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 2010
- National TIG oncoplastic breast and plastic reconstructive fellowship Royal Hallamshire, Sheffield 2010
Reference number 4539463
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Academic and Research Committee Association of Breast Surgery 2016
- NIHR Clinical Research Network NIHR Clinical Research Network Surgery Subspecialty Lead for Breast -Greater Manchester NIHR Clinical Research Network NIHR 2019
- Director of Medical Advisory Board Genesis/ Prevent Breast Cancer 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- General surgery - breast specialty interest, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Member of Association of Breast Surgery
- BMI The Alexandra Hospital, SK8 2PX
- 08:30 - 10:00
- 0161 393 3993
- Mill LaneCHEADLESK8 2PX
- 15:30 - 18:30
- 0161 393 3993
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details