- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a fully qualified, experienced, registered and accredited professional counsellor, psychotherapist and supervisor.
I offer individual and couples counselling and I also supervise the work of other qualified and student counsellors and psychotherapists.
Using counselling, psychotherapy and CBT appropriately tailored to the needs of each client, I help with relationship issues, depression, anxiety, anger, stress, low self-esteem, low self-confidence, self-harm, suicidal thoughts, abuse, trauma, bereavement and loss, and any other difficulties causing distress.
I integrate a variety of approaches, skills and techniques gained from years of training and experience. Working collaboratively, I endeavour to help clients develop their personal awareness and understanding of difficulties by encouraging and facilitating exploration of thoughts, feelings and behaviours, significant relationships and relevant experiences - with a view to:
~ understanding how clients have come to be who and how they are
~ recognising repeating patterns in behaviours and relationships
~ facilitating clients in gaining insight into their impact on others
~ identifying the root causes of clients' present difficulties
~ alleviating emotional distress
~ supporting clients whilst they manage their issues and effect changes
Ultimately, clients may use their enhanced self-awareness to allow them to take appropriate control and responsibility for themselves, to improve the quality and enjoyment of their relationships and to make informed choices and decisions in their current and future life.
I have worked as a counsellor since 1997, within a range of different settings, both abroad (in South Africa) and in the UK.
My experience encompasses a broad spectrum of clients (including celebrities and sports personalities) and many varied issues.
Areas of interest
Relationship issues; Anxiety; Depression; Stress; Anger; Bereavement; Loss; Low self-esteem and self-worth, Low self-confidence; Self-harm; Suicidal thoughts; Childhood abuse; Trauma and PTSD; Work related issues; Chronic illness; Caring for others; Obsessive Compulsive Disorders; Pregnancy and birth related issues.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
Courses offered to GPs
Available to talk to GPs and other health providers about counselling/psychotherapy and how I can help with patients mental health care.
- Diploma in the Practice of Supervision Leeds Centre for Psychological Development 2017
- Post-Graduate Certificate - Couples Counselling Leeds Psychotherapy Training Institute 2013
- Diploma (Higher Education) - Therapeutic Counselling Leeds Metropolitan University 2007
- Certificate (Higher Education) - Interpersonal and Counselling Skills Leeds Metropolitan University 2004
- Certificate - Trainer of BFASA Counsellors Breastfeeding Association of South Africa 2000
- Certificate - Breastfeeding Association of South Africa (BFASA) Counsellor Breastfeeding Association of South Africa 1997
- B.Sc.(Hons) University of Swansea 1983
Details of entry to specialist register
- BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist, 2012
- UKRCP Registered Independent Counsellor/Psychotherapist, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Registered and Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) (Certificate Number: 026007)