- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I began my practise at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital Stanmore in 2014 and am Clinical Lead for Spinal Tumours. My training rotated through some of the most prestigious spinal units in the UK including the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, where I was appointed as Consultant, the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at Queen Square, Great Ormond Street Hospital, The Royal London Hospital, Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, Guy's Hospital and the Evelina Childrens Hospital.
My practise encompasses all aspects of complex spinal surgery and the management of painful spinal conditions including spinal oncology, spinal deformity and minimally invasive surgery.
My aim is to obtain an accurate diagnosis as quickly as possible and a treatment plan to return my patients the quality of life they expect. My approach is conservative, utilising a multi-disciplinary non-surgical approach whenever possible. I sometimes utilise steroid injections or radiofrequency denervation as part of a non-surgical approach.
When surgery is required, I will work with you to chose the least invasive and most effective option for your condition.
I continue to play basketball competitively and have an interest in Brazilian Jiujitsu.
Areas of interest
Acute spinal conditions (disc prolapse, sciatica, arm / neck pain); Spinal sports injuries and trauma; Minimally invasive approaches to the spine; Degenerative spinal conditions – lumbar / thoracic / cervical; Spinal deformity / tumour / complex spinal procedures; Multidisciplinary back pain management
- Emma Tansey-Jones
- Schoen-Clinc London 64-66 Wigmore Street London W1U 2SB
- 020 3929 0801
- Laura S
- Complex Spine London 1 Beaumont Square London E1 4NL
- 020 3950 2409
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Vedahari Ponnaiah Not Fee Assured
- Dr Kofi K Agyare Not Fee Assured
- Dr Ruby Sharma Fee Assured
- Dr Faisal Salim Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital Stanmore
Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Clinical Lead for Spinal Tumours
Navigated minimally invasive surgery
Minimally invasive spinal tumour surgery
Ablation for spinal metastases
Philosophy and classics
BSS best podium presentation 2017
BASS travelling fellowship 2013
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Conversational
- French - Basic
- Spanish - Basic
- Japanese - Basic
1. Assessment of Corrosion in Retrieved Spine Implants. Panagiotopoulou V., Hothi H., Henckel J., Anwar H.A., Molloy S., Tucker S., Sutcliffe J., Skinner J., Hart A. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. 2018 Feb; 106(2):632-638.
2. Clinical and retrieval evidence for corrosion of spine implants. Panagiotopoulou V., Hothi H., Henckel J., Anwar H.A., Molloy S., Tucker S., Sutcliffe J., Skinner J., Hart A. Spinal Surgery News Feature; October 2016.
3. Reply to letter concerning "Segmental Pelvic Correlation SPeC): a novel approach to understanding sagittal plane spinal alignment". Butler J.S., Anwar H.A., Molloy S. Spine Journal 2016 Sep;16(9):1159-60.
4. Cervical Myelopathy. Ayub A.A., Anwar H.A.
5. Segmental Pelvic Correlation (SPeC): A Novel approach to understanding sagittal plane alignment. Anwar H.A., Butler J.S., Yarashi T., Rajakulendran K., Molloy S. The Spine Journal 15(12); Sep 2015.
6. Surgical Percutaneous Biopsy of Discitis and Vertebral Osteomyelitis is Significantly better than CT guided biopsy in identifying the Causative Organism. Popa R., Magnano L., Anwar H., Wilson L. The Spine Journal. Mar 2015
7. Risk Factors for Long term Neurological Deficit following intraoperative monitoring alerts: do interventions change the outcome? Anwar H., Stevenson F., Molloy S. The Spine Journal. Mar 2015.
10. Circulating levels of cobalt and chromium from metal-on-metal hip replacement are associated with CD8+ T-cell lymphopenia. Hart, A. J.; Skinner, J. A.; Winship, P.; Faria, N.; Kulinskaya, E.; Webster, D.; Muirhead-Allwood, S.; Aldam, C. H.; Anwar, H.; Powell, J. J. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - British Volume. 91-B(6):835-842, June 2009.
11. Cauda equina syndrome versus saddle embolism. Shaw A; Anwar H; Targett J; Lafferty K. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 90(6):W1-W3, September 2008.
13. The effect of metal ions in solution on bacterial growth compared with wear particles from hip replacements. Anwar, H. A.; Aldam, C. H.; Visuvanathan, S.; Hart, A. J. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - British Volume. 89-B(12):1655-1659, December 2007.
Courses offered to GPs
When is spinal pain urgent?
Minimally invasive spinal surgery?
How to improve outcomes for patients with spinal conditions.
Reference number 6077701
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.