- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr. Haider Jan is a consultant Gynaecologist with a special interest in minimally invasive surgery and Gynaecological Ultrasound with Royal College accreditation in both fields. His NHS practice is based primarily at Epsom General Hospital where he is leading the development of minimally invasive services.
He has received several national and international prizes for scientific presentations in both minimally invasive (Laparoscopic) gynaecology and gynaecological ultrasound. As of 2014 he has delivered more than 45 presentations at national and international conferences, more than 30 abstract publications and 13 papers in scientific peer-reviewed journals including randomised controlled trials and one book chapter.
He is an accredited teacher and instructor on many nationally and internationally recognised courses for training in Gynaecological Surgery and Emergency Obstetrics for numerous faculties including the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS), the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG), the advanced life support group (ALSG), and the Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit (MATTU).
He is also a instructor and examiner for the MSc in Advanced Gynaecological Endoscopy at University of Surrey. He similarly instructs on the University of Surrey ‘Caring for women with endometriosis’ module for clinical nurse specialists who are trained to support women on the specialised commissioning (complex gynaecology) pathway for severe endometriosis.
He regularly speaks at patient support groups facilitating discussions and giving practical advice helping women develop a clearer understanding of their condition.
As executive editor for the Global Library of Women’s Medicine, he has devoted much of his time in projects in low resource settings to aid help reducing the number of women dying in childbirth.
Mr. Jan specialises in providing evidence based, cutting edge, and innovative minimally invasive approaches to help women with benign gynaecological conditions. These include, but are not exclusive to, treatments for pelvic pain and Endometriosis, adhesions, fibroids and fertility surgery, heavy and abnormal bleeding and prolapse.
Areas of interest
Key Hole Surgery, Endometriosis; pelvic pain; Menopause; Premenstrual Syndrome; Fibroids; Fertility surgery; Abnormal bleeding; Prolapse; Laparoscopic hysterectomy; Advanced Laparoscopic gynaecology
- Helen Wood
- Epsom General Hospital Dorking Road Epsom KT18 7EG
- 020 7965 7282
- 020 7022 8774
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
- Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit
- NHS Work Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
Endometriosis, Fertility Surgery, Global Health
A keen sportsman and photographer.
1. Carlo Romanini Award for the Best Abstract on Endometriosis, August 2014, American Association of Gynaecological Laparoscopists (AAGL) Vancouver.
2. Best Oral Presentation prize, British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE) April 2014
3. Best Oral presentation prize, British Society of Gynaecological Imaging (BSGI) May 2012
4. Best video presentation prize, British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE) April 2012
As of 2014 he has delivered more than 45 presentations at national and international conferences, more than 30 abstract publications and 13 papers in scientific peer-reviewed journals including randomised controlled trials and one book chapter. Listed are the 10 most recent publications:
1. Mri correlation of rectovaginal endometriosis with appearance and management at laparoscopy. Fevzi Shakir, Haider Jan, Andrew Kent. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. In Press
2. Technical video: Modified Laparoscopic Colposuspension.Kent A, Jan H, Shakir F. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014 Jun.
3. A case of laparoscopic surgical excision of a bullet proof nodule from the pelvic side wall. Fevzi Shakir, Haider Jan, Andrew Kent. Journal of Obstetrics and gynaecology. November 2014, Vol. 34, No. 8 , Pages 751-751
4. Evaluation of healthcare professionals' understanding of eponymous maneuvers and mnemonics in emergency obstetric care provision. Jan H, Guimicheva B, Gosh S, Hamid R, Penna L Sarris I International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 125 (2014) 228–231
5. A 5-mm Port-Site Hernia Following a Laparoscopic Myomectomy Resulting in Bowel Obstruction. Haider Jan, AlHamza Al-Khatib, George Araklitis, Amelia Davison, Nitish Narvekar. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery. August 2014: 247-250
6. Kent, A., Shakir, F. & Jan, H. Demonstration of Laparoscopic Resection of Uterine Sacculation (Niche) With Uterine Reconstruction. J Minim Invasive Gynecol (2013). doi:10.1016/j.jmig.2013.10.013
7. Kent, A., Liversedge, N., Dobbins, B., McWhinnie, D. & Jan, H. A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled, Double-Masked, Multi-Center Clinical Trial of Medical adhesives for the Closure of Laparoscopic Incisions. J Minim Invasive Gynecol (2013) Vol. 21, Issue 3, p327
8. Jan, H., Nobbenhuis, M. & Ind, T. Comparison of Knot Tying in Robotic, Laparoscopic, and Open Surgery: Robotic Knots as Tight as, but More Secure than, Open Knots. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery (2013).
9. Jan, H., Waters, N., Haines, P. & Kent, A. LiquiBand® Surgical S topical adhesive versus sutures for the closure of laparoscopic wounds. A randomized controlled trial. Gynecol Surg (2013). doi:10.1007/s10397-013-0805-5
10. Tyagi, J., Jan, H., Sarris, J. & Narvekar, N. Parasitic pedunculated fibroid. Is laparoscopic management the best approach? J Obstet Gynaecol 1–2 (2014). doi:10.3109/01443615.2013.851655
Courses offered to GPs
Inovations in gynaecology, Endometriosis, Adenomysis, Fibroids, Fertility Surgery, Menopause Update, Outpatient hysteroscopy, One stop gynaecology
- BSc (Hons) St Georges Hospital Medical School 2002
- MBBS St Georges Hospital Medical School 2003
- MRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2009
Reference number 6075583
Details of entry to specialist register
- Obstetric and Gynaecology, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy(BSGE); American Association of Gynae Laparoscopists (AAGL)
- Ashtead Hospital, KT21 2SB
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 01372 221441
- Epsom Hospital, KT18 7EG
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 01372 735000
- Lister Hospital, SW1W 8RH
- 08:00 - 11:30
- 020 7881 4000
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.