- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Gynaecological oncology
Mr. Elattar has an interest in ovarian cancer and key hole surgery. He published many international publications studying the role of surgery in ovarian cancer as well as its biology (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/?term=elattar+a).
He completed training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Egypt where he worked as a lecturer and Assistant Professor and gained a wide experience in general Gynaecology. He moved to UK and completed MD in ovarian cancer research in Newcastle University and completed training in colposcopy in Northern Gynaecological Oncology Centre (Gateshead).
He completed his sub-speciality training in Gynaecological cancer in Pan Birmingham Gynaecological cancer centre and was appointed as NHS consultant in the same centre.
In addition to his interest in ovarian cancer surgery (debulking), Mr. Elattar has a special interest in laparoscopic (Key hole) surgery. He worked as a Key hole surgery fellow for 2 years, obtained a Diploma in the subject from Auvergne University (France) and further developed skills and techniques of key hole surgery in women cancers.
Mr. Elattar continues to be active in cancer research and is a reviewer for a number of national and international Journals and for the Cochrane Collaboration.
Mr. Elattar currently wortks as a consultant Gynaecological cancer surgeon in Birmingham City Hospital but also covers outpatient clinics in Sandwell General Hospital and Walsall manor Hospital.
Areas of interest
1. Ovarian cancer surgery;
2. Laparoscopic surgery;
3- cervical cancer;
4- ovarian cysts;
5- pelvic masses;
7- smear abnormalities;
8- preinvasive cancer;
9- uterine cancer;
10- recurrent cancer;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Gynaecological Cancer surgeon in Sandwell & West Birmingham NHS Trust (Pan Birmingham Gynaecological Cancer Centre)
Ovarian cancer; Cochrane reviews
Mary Seacole award in healthcare leadership
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
● Patient-Reported Outcomes After Extensive (Ultraradical) Surgery for Ovarian Cancer: Results From a Prospective Longitudinal Feasibility Study. Int J Gynecol Cancer. Nov 2015 ;25(9):1599-607
● The Use of Ovarian Cancer Cells from Patients Undergoing Surgery to Generate Primary Cultures Capable of Undergoing Functional Analysis. PLoS ONE 2014 Mar 6;9(6)
● The use of sentinel node sampling in vulval cancer. Underwood M, Yap JK, Elattar A, Ganesan R, Notghi A, Crockett C, Luesley DM. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013 Nov;33(8):892-7
● Surgical cytoreduction for recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer. Thuria Al Rawahi, Alberto D Lopes, Robert E Bristow, Andrew Bryant, Ahmed Elattar, Supratik Chattopadhyay, Khadra Galaal (2013). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Feb 28;2:CD008765.
● Clinicopathological features of homologous recombination-deficient epithelial ovarian cancers: sensitivity to PARP inhibitors, platinum, and survival. Cancer Res. 2012 Nov 15;72(22):5675-82
● Androgen receptor expression is a biological marker for androgen sensitivity in high grade serous epithelial ovarian cancer. Elattar, A., Warburton KG, et al’ Gynecologic Oncology; 2012, 124(1): 142-147.
● Optimal primary surgical treatment for advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Elattar, A., A. Bryant, et al. (2011) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007565.pub2.
● Development of a functional assay for homologous recombination in primary cultures of epithelial ovarian tumors and correlation with sensitivity to PARP inhibitors, Mukhophadhyay A, Elattar A, et al, Clin Cancer Res; 2010, 16 (8); 2344–51.
● Androgen related expression of G-proteins in ovarian cancer, British Journal of Cancer, 2009, 101, 498-503
● Factors influencing maternal length of stay after giving birth in a UK hospital and the impact of those factors on bed occupancy, Elattar A, Selamat EM, Robson AA, Loughney A. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2008, vol 28 (1), 73-76
● Assessment of interleukin-10 and transforming growth factor-Β levels in the plasma and ascitic fluid of patients with advanced ovarian cancer, Elattar A and Zoheiry N: Ain Shams Medical Journal, 2003, Vol. 54, No. 7, 8, 9, 813-822
● Laparoscopic suburethral sling procedure for genuine stress urinary incontinence associated with low valsalva leak point pressure: ZAYED AM and ELATTAR AM, J Egypt Obstet Gynecol, 2003, 29, 247-254
- Postgraduate Certificate in Healthcare Leadership Open University, UK 2014
- M.D. of Medicine Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK 2011
- European University Diploma of Gynaecologic Operative Endoscopy, Auvergne University, Clermont-Ferrand, France. 2004
Reference number 6113953
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Gynaecological Oncology Consultant surgeon Pan Birmingham Gynaecological Cancer Centre 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in Obstetrics & Gynaecology with accreditation in Gynaecological Oncology, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
● A member of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (2005)
● A member of the British Society of Cervical Cytology & Pathology (BSCCP)
● A member of the British Society of Gynaecologic Endoscopy (BSGE).
● A member of the International Society of Gynaecologic Cancer (ISGC).
● A member of the European Society of Gynaecologic Oncology (ESGO).
● A member of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL).
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.