- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Lower GI surgery
Mr Ahmad was trained in general surgery and in particular minimally invasive colorectal surgery before joining Poole Hospital in 2013. He has postgraduate qualifications in cancer studies and medical education.
His sub-specialty interests are laparoscopic/ robotic surgery for colorectal cancer and the treatment of pelvic floor disorders including laparoscopic surgery for prolapse.
He led efforts to establish a Surgical Assessment Unit at Poole Hospital, which has improved the quality of care provided to acutely unwell surgical patients. He has organised courses to train aspiring surgeons in pelvic floor surgery and published papers on this highly specialised area in peer-reviewed journals.
He is married with three children. In his spare time, he enjoys cycling, tennis, skiing and reading.
Areas of interest
colon cancer; rectal cancer; haemorrhoids, HALO, colonoscopy; anal fistula; anal fissure; diverticulosis; incontinence; rectal prolapse, obstructed defaecation, constipation; laparoscopic surgery; hernia; gallstones
- Lesley Blackley
- BMI The Harbour Hospital St. Marys Road POOLE BH15 2BH
- 01202 244229
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr James Shorthouse Fee Assured
- Dr Christopher Loew Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Enhancing communication within surgical teams
Strengthening health systems in Africa
Clinical Excellence Award April 2017
1. Ahmad M, Sileri P, Franceschilli L, Mercer-Jones M. The role of biologics in pelvic floor surgery. Colorectal Dis. 2012; 14 Suppl 3:19-23. doi: 10.1111/codi.12045
2. S Wahed, M Ahmad, K Mohiuddin, M Katory & M Mercer-Jones. Short Term Results for Laparoscopic Ventral Rectopexy using Biologic Mesh for Pelvic Organ Prolapse. Colorectal Dis. 2011 Dec 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2011.02921.x. [Epub ahead of print],,,,
3. Ahmad M, McCallum I, Mercer-Jones M. Management of Faecal Incontinence BMJ 2010; 340:c2964
4. Ahmad M, Nice C, Katory M. Covered metallic stents for the palliation of colovesical fistula. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010 Sep; 92(6): W43-5. Epub 2010 Jul 2
5. S Wahed, K Mohiuddin, M Ahmad, M Katory & M Mercer-Jones. Medium term results for laparoscopic ventral rectopexy using permacol for pelvic organ prolapse. Colorectal Disease 2010; 12 (suppl 3): 15.
Courses offered to GPs
Two Presentations on management of pelvic floor disorders to GPs at the Harbour Hospital 2015 and 2016
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.acpgbi.org.uk/surgeon-outcomes/poole-hospital-nhs-foundation-trust/
- FRCS General Surgery Royal College of Surgeons of England 2011
- Master of Medical Science with Distinction University of Sheffield 2004
- Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education for Surgeons University of Dundee 2012
Reference number 6050817
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, 2013
- St Marys RoadPOOLEBH15 2BH
- 08:00 - 12:00
- 01202 244229
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details