- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 23 Apr 2020
Prof. Joseph has extensive experience in all aspects of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Obesity and General internal medicine.
In endocrinology: Large practice involving pituitary disease but also other aspects of endocrinology such as thyroid, adrenal and reproductive disorders and metabolic disorders (including calcium metabolism and osteoporosis).
In diabetes: Extensive experience in all aspects of treatment of the condition and its complications with a special interest in complex management of Type 2 and Type 1 diabetes
Obesity: Special interest in the medical management of Obesity
Areas of interest
Thyroid diseases: Hyper & Hypothyroidism, Goitre, Thyroid cancers, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis; Pituitary conditions: prolactinoma, hypopituitarism, pituitary Cushings, acromegaly, pituitary apoplexy, pituitary adenoma & diabetes insipidus; Sex & fertility: Hypogonadism, polycystic ovary syndrome, infertility, ovarian failure, Kallman syndrome; Parathyroid & calcium disorders: hyper & hypocalcaemia; Metabolic Bone disorders: osteoporosis, osteopenia; Adrenal disorders: Adrenal Cushings syndrome, Conns syndrome, Addisons disease, adrenal insufficiency, adrenocortical adenomas and carcinomas, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, phaeochromocytoma; Neuro-endocrine conditions: insulinomas, multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN) & neuroendocrine tumours of the gut; Cholesterol (lipid) disorders; Obesity – with a multidisciplinary approach to weight management; Diabetes: Type 1 & Type 2: personalised, in-depth education, dietary intervention, pharmacological options- tablets & injectable therapies
Current NHS consultant posts held
In addition to being a Consultant Physician in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Internal Medicine at the Countess of Chester Hospital, he is the clinical lead for an award winning Integrated Diabetes Services.
He leads a successful clinical trials unit and publishes in peer reviewed journals on a regular basis on various diabetes and endocrine topics and presents nationally and internationally.
Endocrinology (pituitary and bone disorders)
Diabetes (newer therapies, education, self-management and complications)
Prof. Joseph is very much a family man with 3 young children, Holly, Megan and Aiden and in addition to becoming a Harry Potter officionado, he has also become well versed in the intricacies of ballet and finds the odd bruise from time to time, being on the receiving end of some very enthusiastic Taekwondo practice.
He enjoys playing the guitar and has spent some time as a thespian doing Shakespeare amongst other things. He also enjoys sport and believes that healthy is the new happy!
1. N Malipatil, F Joseph : Chapter 1: Introduction: Terminology, Etiologic classification of diabetes, Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Screening for diabetes mellitus. Managing Diabetes. Ed. J Vora & M Evans; Published by Springer Healthcare Ltd. 2012
2. F Joseph, A Mon, JP Vora. Chapter: Managing the normotensive type 2 diabetic patient with microalbuminuria. Clinical Challenges in Diabetes. Ed. AH Barnett. Oxford Publications. 2010
1. Maria Woolley, Colin Jones, Joanne Davies, Usha Rao, David Ewins, Sunil Nair, Frank Joseph. Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy: a phenomenological study of women’s first experiences. Practical Diabetes Vol. 31 (1) 2015 January/February
2. Khan M, Joseph F. Adipose tissue and adipokines: the association with and application of adipokines in obesity. Scientifica. 2014;2014:328592. doi: 10.1155/2014/328592. Epub 2014 Sep 17. Review
3. Steve Chaplin, Claire McCourt, Frank Joseph Xigduo: dapagliflozin plus metformin for T2DM. Prescriber Volume 25 Issue 19 (5 October 2014) (p 36-38)
4. Deepa Beeharry, Franklin Joseph, David Ewins & Sunil Nair Dietary Management of Diabetic Chronic Kidney Disease: Current Nutrition Reports September 2014, Volume 3 :10.1007/s13668-014-0093-3
5. Joseph F. ‘Just do it, ’cos I’ve got your back!’ Diabetes care: the West Cheshire Way. Practical Diabetes 2014; 31(4): 169–172
6. Buckley JP, Mellor DD, Morris M, Joseph F. Standing-based office work shows encouraging signs of attenuating post-prandial glycaemic excursion.Occup Environ Med. 2014 Feb;71(2):109-11. Epub 2013 Dec 2.
7. BEACON Trial Investigators. Bardoxolone methyl in type 2 diabetes and stage 4 chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med. 2013 Dec 26;369(26):2492-503. Epub 2013 Nov 9.
8. UK Dopamine Agonist Valvulopathy Group. A cross-sectional study of the prevalence of cardiac valvular abnormalities in hyperprolactinemic patients treated with ergot-derived dopamine agonists. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jan;99(1):90-6. Epub 2013 Dec 20.
9. UK Acromegaly Register Study Group (UKAR-3).Control of growth hormone and IGF1 in patients with acromegaly in the UK: responses to medical treatment with somatostatin analogues and dopamine agonists. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013 Nov;79(5):689-99. Epub 2013 Apr 24.
- MBBS St. Johns Medical College 2000
- MRCP UK Royal College of Physicians, London 2003
- MD University of Liverpool 2001
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2014
Reference number 5204695
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Future Hospital Officer Royal College of Physicians, London 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Training in Diabetes/Endocrinology and General Internal Medicine, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
British Endocrine Society
American Endocrine Society
British Thyroid Society
Association of British Clinical Diabetologists
Royal College of Physicians, London
- Spire Liverpool Hospital, L18 1HQ
- 13:00 - 20:00
- 0151 522 1877
- Spire Murrayfield Hospital Wirral, CH61 1AU
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 0151 929 5181
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details