- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Upper GI surgery
I qualified as a Doctor of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Malta. After training at St Luke’s Hospital, I moved to the United Kingdom for specialist training. I completed a research degree (MD University of London) at King’s College Hospital and at the Department of Metabolic Medicine at the Hammersmith Hospital. My MD thesis was about changes in gut hormones after bariatric surgery. I completed my surgical training in London and North-East Thames region.
I was appointed as a consultant surgeon at UHL, London.
My specialist clinical interest is bariatric (weight loss) and metabolic surgery, having completed a surgical fellowship at University College Hospital, London. I also have an interest in laparoscopic (keyhole) abdominal surgery, in particular the management of gallstone disease and gastro-oesophageal reflux.
I am a member of ASGBI, AUGIS, BOMSS and IFSO. My main research interests are gut hormones and metabolic changes after bariatric surgery.
I am the Editor for Journal of the International Bariatric Club (www.ibcclub.org)
I am a Regional Surgical Advisor (London) for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Areas of interest
Laparoscopic abdominal surgery;
Hiatus hernia surgery;
Surgery for reflux
Abdominal wall hernia
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon
University Hospital Lewisham
- Gut hormones,
- Resolution of metabolic syndrome after bariatric surgery,
- Neural modulation, appetite and food intake,
- Syme Medal awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in October 2010 -
- B.Braun Aesculap Travelling Scholarship 2010 awarded by ALSGBI.
- Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland Travel Fellowship 2012
- IFSO Scholarship 2012
- Editorial for ‘Preoperative glucocorticoid use and risk of postoperative bleeding and infection after gastric bypass surgery for the treatment of obesity’ Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 2015 Nov 11(6):1218-1219.
- Metastases of lobular breast carcinoma in the terminal ileum and ileocaecal valve. S Abdalla, P Macneal, CM Borg. J Surg Case Rep. 2015 Mar 22;2015(3).
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: Current controversies Cynthia-Michelle Borg, Marco Adamo Book chapter for Obesity, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, Springer
- The F.R.I.D.A.Y.S. checklist – Preparing our patients for a safe weekend. E Palmer, E Richardson, H Newcombe, CM Borg. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports 2013.
- Spontaneous renal artery dissection complicated by renal infarction: a case report and review of the literature. AC Katz-Summercorn, CM Borg, PL Harris. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2012 Mar 20;3(7):257-259.
- Acute diaphragmatic herniation as the cause of small bowel obstruction after gastric bypass. CM Borg, A Katz-Summercorn, M Adamo. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 2011 Jul-Aug;7(4):e6-8.
- Gut hypertrophy after gastric bypass is associated with increased glucagon-like peptide 2 and intestinal crypt cell proliferation. CM Borg, CW le Roux, K Wallis, RP Vincent, M Bueter, R Goodlad, M A Ghatei, AG Patel, SR Bloom, SJB Aylwin. Annals of Surgery 2010 Jul;252(1):50-6.
- Supraphysiological doses of intravenous PYY3-36 cause nausea without additional reduction in food intake. CW le Roux, CM Borg, KG Murphy, RP Vincent, MA Ghatei, SR Bloom. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 2008 Jan; 45:93-95.
- Biliopancreatic diversion in rats is associated with intestinal hypertrophy and with increased GLP-1, GLP-2 and PYY levels. CM Borg et al. Obesity Surgery 2007 Sep;17(9):1193-8.
- Progressive rise in gut hormones after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass suggests gut adaptation and explains altered satiety. CM Borg et al. British Journal of Surgery 2006 Jan 3;93(2):210-215.
- Gut hormone profiles following bariatric surgery favour an anorectic state, facilitate weight loss and improved metabolic parameters. CW le Roux, SJB Aylwin, RL Batterham, CM Borg et al . Annals of Surgery 2006 Jan;243(1):108-14.
- Attenuated peptide YY release in obese subjects is associated with reduced satiety. CW le Roux, RL Batterham, SJB Aylwin, M Patterson, CM Borg et al. Endocrinology 2006 Jan;147(1):3-8.
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2010
- MD University of London 2009
- MD University of Malta 1997
Reference number 6041857
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Regional Surgical Advisor Royal College of Edinburgh 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, 2011
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.