- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Accredited Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer the Full Pathway cataract surgery package for Bupa customers ...more
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Pinehill Hospital, Spire Harpenden Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
• I am a Consultant Ophthalmologist at the Luton and Dunstable NHS University Hospital.
• I specialise in Medical Retina conditions (e.g. AMD, Diabetic Eye Disease), Cataract Surgery – particularly in patients with Retinal Disease. I also have an interest in Glaucoma and General Ophthalmic conditions.
• I graduated from Oxford University Medical School and completed my comprehensive Ophthalmology training in the London Deanery and Moorfields Eye Hospital.
• I completed a Medical Retina Fellowship at Moorfields gaining excellent experience of retinal conditions and complex cataract surgery, at Europe’s largest eye hospital.
• I spent a further 2 years at the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields, where I was the Principal Ophthalmologist to the world's first Gene Therapy trial for inherited retinal disease, and Europe's first retinal Stem Cell Therapy trial, and obtained my MD research degree.
• I am actively involved with developing retinal therapies and have been selected as a site Principal Investigator for a national study, investigating the optimum treatment for retinal vein occlusion.
• I have published my work in the most prestigious Ophthalmology journals and presented my research work at all the major national and international Ophthalmology conferences.
• I am the lead author of the "Training in Ophthalmology" textbook published by Oxford University Press, which is widely used by junior Ophthalmologists in this country and also abroad. This book is now in its 2nd edition.
Areas of interest
Medical Retina (AMD, Diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal Vein Occlusion); Cataract Surgery, Glaucoma, General Ophthalmology
Current NHS consultant posts held
Luton and Dunstable NHS University Hospital.
Retinal gene and stem cell therapies
Retinal AntiVEGF therapies
• I am married with two children.
• I enjoy playing tennis and have competed at an international level, representing Great Britain on numerous occasions.
• I also enjoy golf, food travel and films.
- MD UCL Institute of Ophthalmology 2014
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2011
- MRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2006
- BMBCh Oxford University 2002
- BSc Kings College London 1999
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
General Medical Council
Medical Defence Union
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.