- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
I am a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon since 2013. I have an elective and emergency practice sub-specialising in the shoulder and elbow surgery. My particular interests include arthroscopic shoulder surgery for conditions including rotator cuff tears, recurrent instability and dislocated acromio-clavicular joints. I have experience of all types of shoulder replacement. I also specialise in upper & lower limb trauma surgery.
I did my basic medical training at Christian Medical College (1987-1993) in India. I spent 2 years working as a medical officer in rural mission hospitals in India (1993-1995). I undertook higher surgical training as a specialist registrar in Trauma & Orthopaedics at Christian Medical College, India (1995-1998). I worked at Christian Medical College, India as a Lecturer & Reader in Orthopaedics; practicing and training medical students and specialist registrars (1999-2004). I then trained at Yeovil in the Severn Deanery and obtained FRCS in Trauma and Orthopaedics in 2007 from the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
My advanced surgical fellowship in shoulder & elbow surgery was at the Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Bristol (2013).
Research & Publications:
I actively participate in research and have 28 Orthopaedic publications in national and international peer reviewed journals and 27 (combined) oral and poster presentations to learned Orthopaedic societies.
I am upper limb faculty to Trauma Skills Course
I am MRCS Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of England and examine in the UK and at International centres abroad.
I am married with two young daughters and live in Milton Keynes. I speak English and Hindi fluently. I enjoy spending time with my young family, swimming, travelling and listening to music.
Areas of interest
Arthroscopic shoulder surgery for rotator cuff tears, recurrent shoulder instability, labral tears, frozen shoulder, treatment of shoulder and clavicle dislocations and fractures.
All types of shoulder replacement; including reverse geometry and resurfacing total shoulder joint replacement.
Tennis & Golfer's elbow release
Outerbridge Kasiwagi Procedure for Elbow Osteoarthritis
Capsular release for stiff elbow
Ulnar nerve decompression +/- transposition for Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.
Treatment of all Upper & Lower Limb Fractures.
Carpal Tunnel Decompression
Trigger Finger Release
Trigger Thumb Release
- Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon
- Woodland Hospital, Kettering
- Blakelands Hospital, Milton Keynes
- Pinehill Hospital, Hitchin
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Trauma, Shoulder & Elbow Surgery)
Hinchingbrooke Hospital & Mulberry Private Health Care
Mr Dwyer has an active research interest and has 30 Orthopaedic publications in national and international peer reviewed journals and 27 (combined) oral and poster presentations to learned Orthopaedic societies. Mr Dwyer is the Principal Investigator at Hinchingbrooke Hospital for the CSAW (Can Shoulder Arthroscopy Work?) trial for treatment shoulder impingement syndrome. This is a national multi-centre randomised control trial to improve treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome.
Mr Dwyer is a reviewer on the Indian Journal of Orthopaedics & Shoulder & Elbow Journal
He is the Director of Trauma Skillls Course.
He has been Clinical Lead for Musculoskeletal Division and actively helped in restructuring clinical services to improve patient safety, efficiency and outcomes.
He represented MSK services and contributed to the sustainability and transformation programme (STP) for the Cambridgeshire County to develop NHS healthcare fit for the future.
1. Certificate of Honour - Meritorious humanitarian service to earthquake victims. Gujrat 2001.
2. Best Scientific Presentation Award - Remodelling of fracture tibia in children <12 years of age. IOACON 2003.
3. Developed three surgical techniques
a. Dwyer Technique of Arthroscopic Long Head of Biceps Tenodesis - Vumedi
b. Modified skew flap below knee amputation.
Am J Orthop
c. Amputations through the hind foot: A report of 3 cases using a modified Dwyer & Paul procedure.
J Orthop Trauma
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Conversational
1. Al-Ani Z, Sharif A, Dwyer AJ.
Sliding rotational osteotomy for cases of dorsally angulated distal radius malunion: A techincal note.
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2021 Aug;55(4):355-361. doi:10.5152/j.aott.2021.20203.
2. Raghavan R, Jones A, Dwyer AJ.
Should Kirschner wires for fixation of lateral humeral condyle fractures in children be buried or left exposed? A systematic review.
Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2019;105:739-45. doi:10.1016/j.otsr.2019.03.007
3. Raghavan R, Dwyer AJ.
A systematic review of treatment of frozen shoulder by hydrodistension with or without steroid or intra-articular steroid injection.
Current Orthopaedic Practice 2019;30:377-84. doi:10.1097/BCO.0000000000000770
4. Beard D, Rees J, Dwyer A. et. al.
Arthroscopic subacromial decompression for subacromial shoulder pain (CSAW): A multicentre, pragmatic, parallel group, placebo-controlled, three group, randomised surgical trial.
Lancet 2018 Jan 27; 391(10118): 329–338. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32457-1
5. Hussain A, Muzzammil M, Butt F, Valsamis EM, Dwyer AJ.
Effectiveness of plain shoulder radiograph in detecting degenerate rotator cuff tears.
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2018;30:8-11
6. Dwyer AJ, Eid AS, Dvorak V, Chambler AFW.
Mid-term results of Oxford Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty
Indian Journal of Orthopaedics 2014 Jul;48(4):380-4.
7. Raghavan R, Dwyer AJ, Chambler AFW.
Aequalis humeral head resurfacing in gleno-humeral arthritis at a minimum follow up of 2 years.
ISRN Orthopaedics. 2013 Jun 11;2013:541389. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/541389
8. Dwyer AJ, Thomas W, Humphry S, Porter P.
Does enhanced recovery program in total knee arthroplasty reduce length of hospital stay?
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2014 Aug;22(2):150-4.
9. Eid A, Dwyer AJ, Chambler AF.
Mid-term results of arthroscopic subacromial decompression in patients with or without partial thickness rotator cuff tears.
Int J Shoulder Surg 2012: 6: 86-89.
10. Hughes A, Dwyer AJ, Govindaswamy R, Lankester BJL.
The use of intraoperative fluoroscopy for tibial tunnel placement in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
Bone Joint Res 2012 1:234-237.
11. Dwyer AJ, Govindaswamy R, Elbouni T, Chambler AF.
Are "knife and fork" good enough for day case surgery of resistant tennis elbow?
International Orthopaedics 2010;34:57-61.
12. Dwyer AJ, Patnaik S, Smibert JG.
Nonunion of complex proximal humerus fractures treated with locking plate. Injury Extra 2007;38:409-
Courses offered to GPs
I have represented Trauma & Orthopaedics department at the local GP CCG meetings.
View photos of my work
Click an image to enlarge and read a description
View photos of my team
Click an image to enlarge and read a description
View videos on youtube
I have a readmission rate 0%, a post operative infection rate of 0% and a mortality rate of 0% in my elective Orthopaedic private and NHS practices.
- Master of Surgery in Orthopaedics Christian Medical College - Punjab University, India 1998
- FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2007
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) Christian Medical College - Punjab University, India 1993
- Developing Yourself For Clinical Leadership Open University 2012
- European Computer Driving License British Computer Society 2008
- Associate Fellow Higher Education Academy 2021
Reference number 6036089
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- National & International Examiner for MRCS OSCE Exams Royal College of Surgeons of England 2017
- Clinical Lead for Orthopaedics - International Surgical Training Programme Royal College of Surgeons of England 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
1. Member British Elbow & Shoulder Society (BESS) since 2007.
2. Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS) since 2007.
3. International affiliate member American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) since 2006.
4. Life member – Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA).
5. Life Member - Association of Medical Alumni. Christian Medical College & Hospital, Ludhiana India.
- Blakelands Hospital Smeaton Close Blakelands...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01908 334200
- Pinehill HospitalBenslow LaneHitchinSG4 9QZ
- 08:00 - 12:30
- 01462 427227
- The Woodlands HospitalRothwell...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01536 536853
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Amitabh Dwyer