- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Reconstructive surgery
Jon is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at North Bristol NHS Trust and University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust. After medical school in Oxford, his burns and plastic surgery training took him to centres across the United Kingdom. He was awarded the FRCS(Plast) accreditation in 2010 and is on the specialist register of UK plastic surgeons. He undertook higher training in the fields of aesthetic surgery, limb reconstruction and burns surgery. His NHS practice includes paediatric plastic surgery and he is a consultant at The Bristol Royal Hospital for Children. He has undertaken skin cancer assessment and treatment since 1995, is a member of the local skin cancer multidisciplinary team and is a trustee of SCaRF, the renowned skin cancer charity.
In 2012 he founded The Scar Team, the UK's first independent, multi-disciplinary scar team (www.scarteam.co.uk). His research focuses on scarring and he has held positions relating to this interest. Currently, he is a director of research at Restore (www.restore-research.org.uk) and an advisor to The Centre for Appearance Research in Bristol. He is a recognised expert in skin scarring and treats a range of scar issues, from keloid scars to scar revision surgery. He is past lead for the adult and paediatric burns services in Bristol.
Jon has undertaken medicolegal work for 15 years and has achieved the Bond Solon Civil accreditiation.
Areas of interest
- The Scar Team
- Skin Cancer Research Fund and Education
- Restore Burns and Wound Research
- The Center for Appearance Research
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant, North Bristol NHS Trust
Consultant, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust
Two research degrees in molecular biology and global molecular screening. Focus on human scarring, its assessment, treatment and rehabilitation. I am a director of research at the burns, wound and scarring charity, Restore. I am an adviser to The Centre for Appearance Research at The University of the West of England. I am an English language lead for POSAS, the international scar scale assessment tool. I am a Principal Investigator on two national scarring studies.
I enjoy running and annoying my family with an encyclopaedic knowledge of popular music!
Master of Arts (Oxford University)
Doctorate of Philosophy (Oxford University)
50 publications in peer reviewed journals including Lancet Oncology, The British Journal of Plastic Surgery, Burns and The British Journal of Surgery.
I am one of the founding members of GPNotebook, the international medical database, which is now in its 25th year. Other books or resources that I have contributed to include eLPRAS and The Oxford Handbook of Burns.
Courses offered to GPs
I undertake regular interactive sessions with GPs at The Nuffield Hospital in Clifton.
- Bachelor Medicine Oxford University 1995
- Bachelor of Surgery Oxford University 1995
- Master of Arts (Physiological Sciences) Oxford University 1992
- Doctorate of Philosophy Oxford University 2004
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Oxford University 2010
- Nagor Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship Blond McIndoe Institute 2011
- St Andrew's Burns Fellowship St Andrew's Burns Unit Chelmsford 2012
- Orthoplastic and microvascular fellowship North Bristol NHS Trust 2011
Reference number 4213433
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of England 2010
- Specialist Register Plastic Surgery General Medical Council 2010
- Member British Burns Association 1998
- Member European Burns Association 2013
- Associate Member British Society for Surgery of the Hand 2002
- Member British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery 2004
Details of entry to specialist register
- Plastic Surgery, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
- Nuffield Health Bristol HospitalThe...
- 08:30 - 18:00
- 07453 987917
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
On call RMO doctor, Nuffield Hospital, Bristol on 0117 906 4886. Additionally, the email address email@example.com is reviewed hourly for urgent messages.