- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Madhu Rao is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at St Richard's Hospital with special interest in Lower Limb Orthopaedic Surgery.
Having qualified in 1991, Mr. Rao undertook his specialist training mainly in South of England including at St George’s Hospital in London. He obtained his Fellowship from Royal College of Surgeons in 1999 and did his FRCS in Trauma and Orthopaedics in 2007. Post qualification he has been to specialist hospitals in Germany, Belgium and USA to gain more training in lower limb arthroplasty.
His main expertise is in primary hip and Knee replacements and complex revision hip and knee replacements. He also specialises in soft tissue injuries around knee and ligament reconstructions of knee. His other special interests are in management of simple and complex trauma of lower limb fractures and periprosthetic fractures (fractures around Hip and Knee replacements). He also has expertise in management of torn abductor muscle around hip after hip replacements.
He is part of On call Orthopaedic consultant team at St Richard’s hospital and manages acute orthopaedic emergencies and fractures.
He lectures nationally and internationally on primary and revision knee arthroplasty, hip abductor (muscles around hip) repair and on management of periprosthetic fractures around hip and knee.
He is involved in teaching of Core surgical trainees, higher Surgical trainees and other junior doctors of London, Kent Sussex and Surrey Deanery, Medical students from Southampton university and Brighton Medical school as well as trainees at Western Sussex Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust.
Areas of interest
Knee surgery; hip surgery; Hip Osteoarthritis; Knee Osteoarthritis; Primary Hip and knee Replacement; Revision Hip and knee replacement; Bilateral Hip Replacement; Imaged Guided Joint Injections; Trochanteric Bursitis, Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement; Abductor muscle repair, Distal and Proximal Femoral replacements; Unicompartmental and Bicompartmental Knee replacement; Patello-Femoral joint replacement; Sports injuries; Knee Arthroscopy; Meniscal repairs; Cartilage Reconstruction; ACL reconstruction; Knee Ligament Injuries and reconstruction; Patella Stabilisation procedures;
Lower limb trauma; Hip fractures; Fractures of Femur, Tibia; Fractures around Knee; Foot & Ankle fractures; Fractures of arm; forearm and wrist; Non-Union of fractures; Bone Grafting; Fractures around hip and Knee replacements; Cheilectomy; Ganglions; Ingrowing Toenail; Morton's Neuroma; Tendon Problems; Tendonitis; Tennis Elbow; Tennis Elbow Release; Ulnar Nerve Entrapment; Tendo - Achilles repair.
- Emily Culley
- Goring Hall Hospital Bodiam Avenue Goring-By-Sea Worthing BN12 5AT
- 07889 460924
- Sarah Aslett
- Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital Broyle Road Chichester PO19 6WB
- 01243 753035
- 07906 731134
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Sean McHale Not Fee Assured
- Dr Christopher Smith Not Fee Assured
- Dr Justin Dickens Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon,
St Richard’s Hospital,
Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust,
Spitalfield Lane, Chichester, West Sussex.
Mr Rao has devised and published a new surgical technique for repair of torn hip abductor muscles in native hip or after hip replacements which can cause intractable pain and limp using a Human acellular dermal allomatrix (Graft jacket regenerative tissue matrix), which has shown excellent results. This has been widely published in peer reviewed journals and presented in international meetings around Europe, Australia, USA and Asia.
Mr Rao has done extensive work on management of bony defects during revision knee arthroplasty using trabecular metal. He has published and presented internationally his work. He leads UK user group meetings nationally on these and is a member of international teaching faculty on revision knee arthroplasty courses.
He has carried out a prospective study on Distal Segmental femoral replacement for periprosthetic fractures, published and presented internationally.
Travelling – Learning about different cultures
Playing outdoor sports - cricket and Tennis.
''Management of Periprosthetic fractures of distal femur in elderly using Distal Femoral Arthroplasty and Fixation - Comparative study of outcomes and costs'' - Won top 10 presentations prize at 34th SICOT (Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie) Orthopaedic World Congress, October 2013.
• Surgical reconstruction of failed hip Abductors - A new technique using Graft Jacket allograft acellular human dermal matrix. ’International Orthopaedics’’ 2012 October.
• Management of osteonecrosis of proximal tibia using Osteonecrotic rods. Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma; June 2012.
• Modular Neck fractures of Uncemented Femoral stem in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. ‘’Hip International'' Vol.22, No.4 Pg 439, July - Aug 2012.
• Gluteal cuff repair of hip using Graft jacket matrix - A new surgical technique. ‘’Hip International’’ Vol.22, No.4; Pg 473, July - Aug 2012.
• Tantalum cones for major osteolysis in revision knee replacement. The Bone & Joint Journal, 2013.
• Distal Segmental Femoral Replacement for Complex Distal Femoral Fractures in the Elderly. - European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery. April 2014.
• Primary Meningococcal septic arthritis of ankle joint: Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2014
• Does incidence of surgical site infection in elective hip and knee arthroplasty increase following decolonisation and eradication of MRSA in chronic carriers? Published on 25th January 2016 in Bone and Joint Journal, Orthopaedic Proceedings.
Courses offered to GPs
Hold frequent patient information talks on Hip and Knee arthroplasty, young hip pain and sports injury at Chichester Nuffield hospital and local GP surgeries.
Talks to General Practitioners, Extended Scope Practitioners and Physiotherapists at St Richard's hospital for updates and continuing medical education on hip and knee problems.
Faculty member on national and international courses to Orthopaedic surgeons on knee revision and periprosthetic fractures around hip and knee arthroplasty.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.njrsurgeonhospitalprofile.org.uk/SurgeonProfile?gmccode=4596417
All within national accepted norms.
Mortality - 0%
Published nationally on National Joint Registry data and Dr Foster's data.
- MBBS Osmania University, Hyderabad, India 1991
- MS Orthopaedics University of Health Sciences, India 1995
- FRCS Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 1999
- FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 2007
Reference number 4596417
Details of entry to specialist register
- Genaral Medical Council, 2012
- BMI Goring Hall Hospital,
- 18:00 - 21:00
- 07889 460924
- Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital Broyle...
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01243 887559
- Nuffield Health Chichester HospitalBroyle...
- 18:00 - 21:00
- 01243 887559
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact 07500115097 or 07889460924.