- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 23 Apr 2020
- Applied Relaxation
- Behaviour Therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Bulimia Nervosa (CBT-BN)
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Trauma focused CBT
I am a Consultant Clinical Psychologist who is Chartered Clinical Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS) and an Associate Fellow. I am also a Registered European Psychologist, a Chartered Scientist with the British Science Council and registered with the Health Professionals’ Council (HCPC).
I qualified in 1997 and have worked in the Irish health service as a Senior Clinical Psychologist and at Consultant level in the UK in the NHS, independent hospitals and in private practice. I have also held positions as head of services in Ireland (HSE specialist ADHD service) and the UK (Forensic services & Social care clinical manager). I have a special interest in nutrition and hold an MSc in Nutrition and Health.
I have over 20 years post qualifying experience in Clinical Psychology working across the lifespan in a very wide range of settings with children, adolescents & adults providing psychological assessments, therapies & reports within the health services of Ireland the UK and private sector.
These have included an array of psychological and emotional problems including depression, anxiety, stress, low self-esteem, grief, eating disorders, sleep disorders, divorce issues, addictions, victims of abuse, dyslexia, learning disabilities, relationship problems, panic attacks, phobias, anger management, DSH (including TTM), emotional, behavioural & attentional difficulties including Attention Deficit Disorders and developmental disorders including Autistic Spectrum in a variety of settings including residential treatment, community mental health, mainstream and special schools, prisons, forensic hospitals and young offender centres, and residential child care and private practice. I use a combination of theories and techniques to meet the specific needs of the clients. These include Cognitive Behavioural methods (CBT), Brief solution focused therapy, individual counselling, play therapy, couple therapy, family therapy, group therapy, functional behavioural analysis, behaviour modification, relaxation & meditation, and trauma relief methods such as EMDR therapy.
Areas of interest
I deal with a range of mental health, developmental and relationship problems occurring in children, adolescence and adults. I aim to promote emotional well-being and personal development and to prevent and reduce psychological distress and dysfunction.
Areas of interest: Weight Management & Diet; Eating Disorders (pre-adolescent ED, Anorexia, Bulima, Obesity; Childhood devleopmental; disorders; ADHD; Depression and mood disorders; Nutrition & Mental illness; anxiety disorders; workplace stress/bullying; assessment of learning difficulties in children and adults; Trichotilimania and Skin picking disorders; family and couple therapy; behaviour problems; parenting
and relationship issues. Court reports for criminal, family and personal injury matters.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
Current NHS consultant posts held
I have held managerial & supervisory roles with psychologists and other mental health professionals at all levels, & have been a member of various MDT teams in the HSE, the NHS, HSSD (Channel Islands) and in independent hospitals over the course of my professional career.
Nutrition and mental health, ADHD, Depression & Anxiety Disorders, Pre-adolescent eating disorders, Trichotillomania, Language disorder
Veganism; Nutrition and health, Tennis, zumba, reading, foreign travel, swimming.
McAndrew (1999) The relationship between self-esteem and language disorder in children. Child Language Teaching and Therapy, vol 15, 3, 219-232.
I have also been in demand by the UK media for quotes on a range of psychological issues such as:-
• Woman Magazine September 2013 re Celebrity Tattoos;
• Woman’s Own-April 2013 re overcoming attacks by strangers;
• Top Santé Magazine-April 2012 re changing the direction of one’s life after 40yrs;
• Shopaholics following the release in the UK of the film, ‘Confessions of a Shopaholic’
• Sunday Telegraph re binge drinking,
• London Press Association re Gary Glitter (Paul Gadd) case;
• Mail On Sunday, Scotland re Binge drinking,
• Workplace bullying, for No 1 magazine, a women's lifestyle magazine based in Scotland, Middle class parenting for journalist writing a book in South Africa
Some of the above can be viewed via a Google search on the internet.
• Language Disorders & Psychological Problems including effects on self-esteem. Outcome showed the need to screen children more frequently for speech & language problem. (1998-2000)
• Pre-adolescent Eating Disorders- review & analysis of literature. Showed that the frequency of ED is on the increase in children as young as 6 years and an increasing number of boys are now presenting with ED. Prevalence, aetiology & best treatment responses were also reviewed. (1998-2000)
• Encopresis- review & analysis of literature- Prevalence, aetiology & best treatment responses. (1998-2000)
• Child Protection Practices in Ireland- Results of study showed that there is no uniform approach to investigative interviewing in suspect child abuses cases in Ireland with the Police & Health Service (social workers & psychologists). (1998-2000)
The Relationship Between Self-Esteem and Language Disorder In Children (1994-1997)
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology Surrey University 2001
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology Psychological Society of Ireland and Ulster University 1997
- BSc Hons Psychology Manchester Metropolitan University 1990
- Postgraduate Certificate Business Admin (part of ongoing MBA) Open University 2016
- MSc Nutrition, Food Science and Health University College Dublin 2019
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Trustee on the Board of the Psychologists' Protection Society PPS 2014
Affiliations / memberships
PROFESSIONAL ACCREDITATION & MEMBERSHIPS:
· Health Professionals’ Council (HCPC) Registrant
· British Psychological Society (BPS) -Chartered Status & Associate Fellow (AFBpS)
· Member of Division of Clinical Psychology of BPS
· EuroPsy Registered Psychologist
· Member of BACP - UK Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
· Member of AChipp- -UK Association for Child Psychologists
· Chartered Scientist-British Science Council
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details