- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Accredited Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer the Full Pathway cataract surgery package for Bupa customers ...more
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Ashtead Hospital, BMI Shirley Oaks Hospital.
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Surgical retinal
Edward Lee studied medicine for 6 years at Oxford University, where he won an Open Academic Scholarship from Brasenose College and a number of prizes following end of year exams.
Since qualifying he has worked in the U.K. and New Zealand before sub-specialising with specialist fellowships at St.Thomas’ Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
Academic and Research
Edward Lee is a frequent presenter at national and international ophthalmology meetings. His principal areas of research relate to improving patient outcomes following retinal surgeries. His PhD thesis centered on treatments for retinal causes of visual loss.
Edward Lee now specialises in cataract and vitreo-retinal surgeries. He trained in two of the foremost centres for training in such surgery and has worked to audit and advance the techniques involved.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery; Vitrectomy; Retinal Detachment; Macular Hole; Epiretinal Membrane; Vitreous Haemorrhage; Diabetic Retinopathy; Age-related Macular Degeneration; Macula Oedema; Floaters; Uveitis
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist, Cataract and Vitreoretinal Surgery,
Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
Edward Lee has over 35 research papers published in the medical and scientific literature. The majority of these relate to patient outcomes following retinal surgeries. He has ongoing research projects related to improving the quality of vision following retinal surgeries and avoiding symptoms of distortion.
Family life & outdoor pursuits
2009-Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Training Fellowship
2004-Regional audit prize
2002-Brian Harcourt case presentation prize, Yorkshire Deanery
1999-Short-listed for BM BCh Finals prize (Oxford University)
1995-Open Scholarship (Brasenose College, Oxford)
Collection Prizes x2 (Brasenose College, 1994&1995)
1991-Academic Exhibition (Sherborne School, Dorset)
1. Lee E et al. An analysis of the outcomes for patients with failed primary vitrectomy for rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. CEO 2014
2. Shunmugam M, Lee E, Williamson T. Characteristics of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and their relationship to success rates of surgery. Retina 2014
3. Williamson TH, Lee E. Idiopathic macular hole: analysis of visual outcomes and the use of Indocyanine green or Brilliant blue for internal limiting membrane peel. CEO 2014
4. Lee EJ et al. Macular displacement following rhegmatogenous retinal detachment repair. BJO 2013
5. Williamson TH, Shunmugam M, Rodrigues I, Dogramaci M, Lee E. Characteristics of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and their relationship to visual outcome. Eye 2012
6. Lee EJ et al. Assessment of 180 degree rotation of the choroid as a novel surgical treatment for age-related macular degeneration. IOVS 2012
7. Dogramaci M, Lee EJ, Williamson TH. The incidence and the risk factors for iatrogenic retinal breaks during pars plana vitrectomy. Eye 2012
8. Dogramaci M, Williams K, Lee EJ, Williamson TH. Foveal light exposure is increased at the time of removal of silicone oil with the potential for phototoxicity. CEO 2013
9. Lee EJ et al. Does unintentional macular translocation after retinal detachment repair influence visual outcome? CEO 2012
10. Lee E et al. Displacement of the retina. Ophthalmology 2012
11. Wong R, Lee E, Shunmugam M. Comment on 'Silicone oil removal after rhegmatogenous retinal detachment: comparing techniques' Eye 2012
12. Shunmugam M, Lee E, Wong R. Novel technique for silicone oil retention suture with secondary autocapsulotomy of fibrin membrane. Eye 2012
13. Lee E, MacLaren RE. Sources of RPE for replacement therapy. BJO 2011
14. Lee EJK et al. Late onset cystoid macula edema associated with small-incision cataract surgery and inadvertent entry of chloramphenicol ointment into the anterior chamber. OSLI 2010
15. Lee EJ et al. A randomised controlled trial to compare patient satisfaction with two different types of local anaesthesia in ptosis surgery. Orbit 2009
16. Comyn O, Lee E, Maclaren RE. Induced pluripotent stem cell therapies for retinal disease. Curr Opin Neurol. 2009
- BM BCh Oxford University 1999
- MA (Oxon) Oxford Univeristy 2000
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2007
- Member of Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) 2003
- PhD University College London 2012
- Specialist Vitreoretinal Fellowship (6 months) Moorfields Eye Hospital 2013
- Specialist Vitreoretinal Fellowship (2 years) St.Thomas' Hospital 2011
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2011
Affiliations / memberships
- European Society of Retinal Specialists
- British and Eire assoication of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
- British Medical Associations
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
01372 642 135
or email "email@example.com"