- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Upper GI surgery
Javed Sultan came to Guildford in 2014 to help expand and develop the regional oesophago-gastric cancer unit for Surrey. He was a Consultant Surgeon at the largest internationally renowned Northern Oesophago-Gastric Cancer Unit (Newcastle upon Tyne) prior to his appointment at the Royal Surrey County Hospital.
Mr Sultan trained in Newcastle upon Tyne and graduated from medical school in 2001 (MBBS). He undertook 2 years of research in oesophageal and stomach cancer. He passed with commendation for the Degree of Doctorate of Medicine and was nominated for the Medical Sciences Doctoral Thesis Prize. In 2011, Mr Sultan was awarded the Association of Surgeon’s Gold medal and Prize as the top candidate out of 130 in the UK at the Intercollegiate examination in surgery (FRCS). He spent 27 months as the senior trainee at the Northern Oesophago-Gastric Cancer Unit in Newcastle upon Tyne and was trained by Professor SM Griffin OBE at the largest oesophago-gastric cancer unit in the UK. Mr Sultan has also excellent experience at bariatric surgery and has been trained by Mr P Small at the Sunderland Royal Hospital. He also spent time with Profesor JD Luketich at the University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) learning the technique of Minimally Invasive Oesophagectomy (MIO) which is a keen interest of his for the future. Mr Sultan has been awarded 7 other prizes, has presented research both nationally and internationally.
Mr Sultan works at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, as a Consultant Oesophago-Gastric and Laparoscopic Surgeon, which offers a specialist oesophago-gastric cancer service and receives complex tertiary referrals from other hospitals around the UK. Mr Sultan is performing weight loss surgery at St George’s Hospital at present.
Mr Sultan has been extensively trained in all aspects of general and upper gastrointestinal surgery specifically hernia, cholecystectomy, anti-reflux surgery, gastrectomy, oesophagectomy, weight loss surgery (gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric band, intra-gastric balloon), diagnostic endoscopy and therapeutic endoscopy.
Mr Sultan’s aim is to deliver high quality care and being patient centred is paramount. He is a reliable, approachable, dedicated, conscientious, trust-worthy and a multi-faceted surgeon whose aim is to deliver high quality care. Patient centred care is his priority.
Areas of interest
Keyhole / laparoscopic surgery; General surgery; Hernia; gallstones; anti-reflux surgery; Oesophago-gastric surgery (bengin, reflux, disorders of swallowing and cancer); Oesophageal physiology studies; Endoscopic ultrasound; Investigation of abdominal pain, weight loss and anaemia
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Oesophago-Gastric and Laparoscopic Surgeon (substantive)
(01/03/2014 – present)
Royal Surrey County Hospital
1) Does prehabilitation improve cardiopulmonary exercise performance and reduce insulin resistance in patients undergoing neo-adjuvant treatment and surgery for oesophago-gastric cancer?
The following has been involved:
• Setting up a tri-modal service from the beginning with a personal trainer, dietician and counsellors
• £45,000 has been generated from various funding streams successfully in order to fund this project.
• Orgnaising a SLA between the Surrey Sports Park and RSCH
• Starting this MD research project which is in progress and supervising a surgical registrar through this project
2) I am recruiting patients into the multi-centre RCT Neo-Aegis trial comparing neo-adjuvant chemotherapy versus chemo-radiotherapy
3) I am recruiting patients into OCCMAS for the last 2 years
4) I am in the process of setting up a bio-bank for the oesophago-gastric cancers prospectively in collaboration with the University of Surrey
In my free time, I enjoy raising money for numerous charities which has included the completion of an abseil and zip wire descent for the OesophaGoose, oesophageal and gastric cancer campaign. I regularly play cricket at a local club. I enjoy learning about other cultures and travelling.
1. The effect of omega-3 fatty acids (O-3FA) on antioxidant status,human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-DR expression on leukocytes in oesophago-gastric cancer surgery. J.Sultan et al. NESS May 2008 (George Feggetter Medal and passed with commendation and nominated for the Medical Sciences Doctoral Thesis Prize).
2. Winner of the gold medal in the intercollegiate examination in general surgery (FRCS). I came first out of a total of 130 national candidates for this consultant exit exam, June 2011.
(Additional) Languages spoken
1. Serum fructosamine as a marker of 5 year risk of developing diabetes mellitus in patients exhibiting stress hyperglycaemia.
S.T.Wahid, J.Sultan, G.Handley, B.O.Saeed, J.U.Weaver and A.C.J.Robinson. Diabetic Medicine. 19,543 – 548 (2002).
2. Intermittent Gastric volvulus secondary to gall bladder adhesions: a rare cause of gastric outflow obstruction.
J.Sultan, P.Vassallo, P.Davis, Y.K.S.Viswanath.
Hospital Medicine (London).66(4):245,2005Apr.
3. Endoscopic ultrasonography-detected low-volume ascites as a predictor of inoperability for oesophago-gastric cancer.
J.Sultan, S.Robinson, N.Hayes, S.M.Griffin, D.L.Richarson, S.R.Preston. British Journal of Surgery 2008;95:1127-1130.
4. A randomized controlled trial: the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on human leukocyte antigen-DR expression and clinical outcome in oesophago-gastric cancer surgery.
J.Sultan, F.Di Franco, JA.Kirby, BK.Shenton, CJ.Seal, P.Davis, YKS.Viswanath, SR.Preston, N.Hayes, SM.Griffin. British Journal of Surgery 2012;99(3):346-355.
5. Perioperative diagnosis of euglycaemic ketoacidosis.
C.Yeow, F.Wilson, E.Walter, J.Sultan. Journal of the Intensive Care Society 2016;17:79-81
6. A case of idiopathic azygos vein aneurysm.
A.Iordache, M.B.Stevenage, J.Sultan, A.Carne. International Journal of Case Reports and Images 2015;6(12):786-788.
7. An analysis of eleven years of clinical negligence claims in oesophago-gastric cancer, January 2016. Diseases of the oesophagus (in press). K.Ratnasingham, SR Preston, J Sultan
8. Becoming a General Surgeon (for medical students and foundation doctors)
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh website, (Education then Surgical careers, April 2007).
9. Unfair, inconsistent and flawed (letter regarding MTAS).
Surgeons news.vol 6;99 (July 2007)
10. Letter 2: Functional results after extended myotomy for diffuse oesophageal spasm.
A.G.N.Robertson, J.Sultan, N.Hayes, D.Karat, S.M.Griffin.
British Journal of Surgery. Vol 95, issue 1 (January 2008).
11. Becoming a General Surgeon (for medical students and foundation doctors)
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh website, (Education then Surgical careers, 2011, revised).
12. Commentary on the study of the efficacy of lung expansion techniques on alterations in postoperative pulmonary complications.
P.Gatenby, J.Sultan, S.Gregory, B.Creagh-Brown. Chest 2015;10.079
Courses offered to GPs
I am happy to give talks / seminars regarding any aspects of general surgery specifically hernia, gallstones, reflux, oesophagi-gastric cancer and weight loss surgery.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.augis.org/outcmes-data-2016/
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) - GOLD MEDAL WINNER Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2011
- Degree of Doctorate of Medicine (Passed with commendation for the Degree of Doctorate of Medicine and nominated for the Medical Sciences Doctoral Thesis Prize) University of Newcastle upon Tyne 2010
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Education University of Newcastle upon Tyne 2009
- MBBS University of Newcastle upon Tyne 2001
Reference number 6028471
Affiliations / memberships
Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon
Royal College Surgeons of Edinburgh
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.