- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Breast surgery
Mr Wayne Chicken is a consultant general surgeon and oncoplastic breast surgeon, with special interest in the prompt diagnosis of breast symptoms and management of breast cancer. His NHS practice is at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals, and he conducts his private practice from the comfortable surroundings of the Spire Hartswood Hospital and Nuffield Brentwood Hospital.
Wayne trained as a general surgeon and breast surgeon in London, with senior registrar posts at the Royal Free Hospital, Hampstead and Broomfield Hospital in Essex. His undergraduate training was undertaken in Cape Town, South Africa.
Wayne’s clinical practice encompasses breast thyroid and general surgery.
His breast practice focuses on the rapid diagnosis of breast symptoms in both women and men, and the management of breast cancer using the most up to date techniques. This enables him to use minimally invasive surgery and breast conservation, often done as a day stay procedure. He is a strong advocate of immediate reconstruction wherever possible for patients requiring mastectomy utilising a full range of reconstructive techniques and in combination with a plastic surgeon. He has particular interest in screening for breast cancer and family history of breast cancer. Wayne believes the best results are achieved through multidisciplinary management, and all cancer treatments are delivered using the skills of a full multidisciplinary team.
His general surgery practice encompasses laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery, gallbladder surgery, hernia repair, lymph node biopsy and removal of lumps and skin lesions.
His endocrine practice includes thyroid and parathyroid assessment and surgery. Thyroid assessments are performed in a one stop rapid assessment clinic with same day imaging and biopsy if required.
His approach is sensitive, unhurried, calm and reassuring, but using a strong evidence base to underpin his practice. He investigates thoroughly and methodically prior to any surgery.
Areas of interest
Breast cancer; benign breast disease; breast screening; familial breast cancer; breast conservation; breast reconstruction; rapid assessment of breast lumps; male breast problems; gynaecomastia; thyroid and parathyroid surgery, thyroid lumps, gallbladder disease; gallstones; hernia; lymph node biopsy; skin lesions; removal of lumps
- Rona Phillips
- Basildon Hospital Nethermayne BASILDON SS16 5NL
- 07503 655919
- 01268 394652
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Peter E Berry Fee Assured
- Dr David Lowe Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Breast and General Surgeon, Basildon and Thurrock NHS Trust, based at Basildon Hospital and Orsett Hospital, Essex.
His research focuses on the minimally invasive treatment of breast cancer. He has published widely in high quality academic journals and presented nationally and internationally on breast cancer including sentinel node biopsy, intraoperative diagnosis, novel technology, surgical training and gynaecomastia.
He maintains scientific, research and teaching interests and is a peer reviewer for the British Journal of Surgery.
SELECTED RECENT PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Use of the surgical Apgar score to guide postoperative care. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2014 Jul;96(5):352
- Concordance between peri-areolar blue dye and peri-incisional radiotracer injections for sentinel node mapping in patients with a history of primary breast cancer excisonal biopsy. Acta Chir Belg. 2014 Jan-Feb;114(1):31
- Gynaecomastia – Assessment and Management. Trends in Urology and Mens Health. 2012;4(1)17
- Scanning Elastic Scattering Spectroscopy Detects Metastatic Breast Cancer in Sentinel Lymph Nodes. Journal Biomedical Optics 2010;15(4);047001.
- Optical Scanning for Rapid Intraoperative Diagnosis of Sentinel Node Metastases in Breast Cancer. Br J Surg. 2010;97(8);1232
- Sentinel Node Imaging In Breast Cancer Using Superficial Injections: Technical Details and Observations. Eur J Surg Oncology. 2009;39(12);1250
- Detection of the Sentinel Lymph Node in Breast Cancer. British Medical Bulletin. 2007;84(1):117
- Allergy to Technetium Labeled Nanocolloidal Albumin for Sentinel Node Identification. Annals of Royal College of Surgeons. 2007;89 – Online case report
- Patients' View on Intraoperative Diagnosis of Sentinel Nodes in Breast Cancer: Is It an Automatic Choice? International Journal of Surgery 2007;5(2);76
- Intraoperative Touch Imprint Cytology for the Diagnosis of Sentinel Lymph Node Metastases in Breast Cancer. Br J Surg 2006;93:572
- Allergic Reactions to Patent Blue Dye. Surgical Oncology 2006;15(1):58
- New Approaches in Breast Cancer Management: Sentinel Node Biopsy and Intraoperative Radiotherapy. Int J Fertil Womens Med 2005;50:218
- Monitoring Recovery After Laser Surgery of the Breast With Optical Tomography: a Case Study. Applied Optics 2005;44:1898
- A Training Simulator for Sentinel Node Biopsy in Breast Cancer: a New Standard. Eur J Surg Oncology 2005;31:134
- The Emerging Role and Implications of Sentinel Node Biopsy in Breast Carcinoma. Hell J Nucl Med 2004;7:31
- Elastic Scattering Spectroscopy for Intraoperative Determination of Sentinel Lymph Node Status in the Breast. Journal of Biomedical Optics 2004;9:1122
- Textbook: “ACE the OSCE book & DVD” – Subeditor for surgical section – 2008.
- Editorial : The Sentinel Node Biopsy : Current Status and Future Prospects. Breast Cancer Reviews. 2005;11:2-4
- Editorial : Intraoperative Radiotherapy. Breast Cancer Reviews. 2005;10:2-3
Courses offered to GPs
An enthusiastic teacher, recognized by a top teacher award - I am happy to offer talks, updates and seminars on subjects relevant to my clinical interests on request.
- Certificate of Completion of Training in General Surgery Intercollegiate Specialty Board 2013
- FRCS(Gen.Surg) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- MRCS(Eng) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- MBChB University of Cape Town 1993
Reference number 4252234
Details of entry to specialist register
- General surgery , 2013
Affiliations / memberships
- Association of Breast Surgery
- European Society of Surgical Oncology
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- Medical Protection Society
- Royal College of Surgeons
- Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital, CM15 8EH
- 18:30 - 19:30
- 01277 888441
- Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital, CM15 8EH
- 09:30 - 10:30
- 01277 888441
- Spire Hartswood Hospital, CM13 3LE
- 18:30 - 20:00
- 01277 232525
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details