- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 15 Apr 2020
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a consultant gastroenterologist and specialist endoscopist at St Mark’s Hospital, Harrow, an internationally recognised centre of excellence for intestinal disorders and endoscopy. I am the clinical lead for endoscopy and my specialist interests include general and luminal gastroenterology, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, bowel cancer prevention & screening endoscopy (nationally accredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopist), video capsule endoscopy, double-balloon enteroscopy, inflammatory bowel disease and small bowel diseases.
In 2007 I was awarded a Cancer Research UK Clinical Research Fellowship, and gained a PhD in 2012 from University College, London for my research into the biology of gastrointestinal tumours. My current academic interests include the evolution of pre-cancerous growths within the gut and the diagnosis and treatment of small bowel diseases.
Having qualified from Imperial College Medical School in 2002, I undertook my specialist gastroenterology training within London from 2005-2013. I then completed a fellowship in advanced and small bowel endoscopy at St Mark’s Hospital before being appointed to the Consultant staff in 2014.
Areas of interest
General & luminal gastroenterology; diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy; colonoscopy and polypectomy; bowel cancer screening & prevention (nationally accredited screening colonoscopist); video capsule endoscopy; double balloon enteroscopy; inflammatory bowel disease; small bowel diseases
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Aynkaran Dharmarajah Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist and Specialist Endoscopist, St Mark's Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Small bowel endoscopy; evolution of pre-cancerous lesions in the gastrointestinal tract.
Skiing, running, biking.
- Cancer Research UK Clinical Research Fellowship (2007)
- Original Research Papers:
- Choi CR, Al Bakir I, Ding NJ, Lee GH, Askari A, Warusavitarne J, Moorghen M, Humphries A, Ignjatovic-Wilson A, Thomas-Gibson S, Saunders BP, Rutter MD, Graham TA, Hart AL. Cumulative burden of inflammation predicts colorectal neoplasia risk in ulcerative colitis: a large single-centre study. Gut. 2017 Nov 17. pii:
gutjnl-2017-314190. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2017-314190. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed
- Ding NS et al. Endoscopic Dilatation of Crohn’s Anastomotic Strcitures is Effective in the long term and escalation of medical therapy improves outcomes in the biologic era. J Crohns Colitis. 2016 Oct; 10(10)
- Baker Am et al. Quantification of crypt and stem cell evolution in the normal and neoplastic human colon. Cell Rep. 2014 Aug 21; 8(4)
- Humphries A et al. Lineage tracing reveals multi-potent stem cells maintain human adenomas and the pattern of clonal expansion tumour evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2013 Jul
- Nicholson AM, Graham TA, Simpson A, Humphries A et al. Barrett’s metaplasia glands are clonal, contain multiple stem cells and share a common squamous progenitor. Gut. 2012 Oct;61(10):1380-9. doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2011-301174. Epub 2011 Dec 26.
- Graham TA, Humphries A et al. Use of Methylation Patterns to Determine Expansion of Stem Cell Clones in Human Colon Tissue. Gastroenterology 2011 Apr;140(4):1241-1250.e1-9. doi: 10.1053/ j.gastro.2010.12.036. Epub 2010 Dec 28.
- Lin WR, Lim SN, McDonald SA, Graham TA, Wright VL, Peplow CL, Humphries A et al. The Histogenesis of Regenerative Nodules in Human Liver Cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2010 Mar; 51(3):1017-26. doi: 10.1002/hep.23483.
- Fellous TG, McDonald SA, Burkert J, Humphries A et al. A methodological approach to tracing cell lineage in human epithelial tissues. Stem Cells. 2009 Jun;27(6):1410-1420. doi: 10.1002/stem. 67.
- Humphries A, Wright NA. Colonic crypt organisation and tumorigenesis. Nature Rev Cancer. 2008 Jun;8(6):415-24. Epub 2008 May 15. Review.
- Humphries A, Auer R. Relapsed plasma cell leukaemia manifesting as a protein losing Enteropathy. Br J Haem.2006 Aug;134(4):355.Epub 2006 Jun 6.
Courses offered to GPs
- Diagnosis and treatment of small bowel diseases
- The role of primary care in managing inflammatory bowel disease
- Bowel cancer screening
- IBS vs IBD
- Colorectal polyps
National Bowel Cancer Screening Colonoscopy Audit Data for 2018
- colonoscopy completion rate: 96%
- adenoma detection rate: 73%
- mean adenoma detection: 2.2
- Mean negative withdrawal time: 7 minutes
- % procedures with no or minimal discomfort: 98%
- Post polypectomy bleeding: 0%
- Perforation rate: 0%
- PhD University College London 2012
- MRCP London, UK 2005
- MBBS Imperial College School of Medicine 2002
- BSc Imperial College School of Medicine 1999
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship St Mark's Hospital 2013
Reference number 6053542
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Internal Medicine, 2013
- Gastroenterology, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gastroenterology; Royal College of Physicians; MDDUS.
- 41-43 Welbeck StreetLondonW1G 8DU
- 13:30 - 19:30
- 020 7616 7645
- The London Clinic 20 Devonshire Place LONDON...
- 09:30 - 12:30
- 020 7616 7645
- The Princess Grace Hospital, 42-52 Nottingham...
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 020 7616 7645
- Wolfson Unit for EndoscopySt Mark's...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 020 7616 7645
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 7616 7645