- Fee assured
- Verified this account
From 1995 - 2004 I worked as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, and came to UK for further advanced training in Orthopaedics, especially Spinal surgery and Joint replacement surgery. I worked in Orthopaedics and Trauma units in different hospitals in UK from 2004 to 2007.
I was awarded NTN and joined National Training Programme for Rehabilitation Medicine at Northern Deanery (International Centre for Neurological Rehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry, Walkergate Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne) from December 2007-2011, and successfully achieved CCT in Rehabilitation medicine.
Education and training:
I completed my medical degree (MBBS) in 1990, from Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, India( WHO recognised), completed one year of compulsory internship (House Officer/FY1 training) and joined 4 years of postgraduate SpR training to obtain degree qualification in Trauma and Orthopaedics, from 1991- 1994 at Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, India, affiliated with 1600 bedded SSG General and Teaching Hospital. I was awarded Master of Surgery ( MS) degree in Trauma and Orthopaedics, equivalent to FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics.
I was then awarded MRCS degree by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow in 2006.
I was awarded fellowship (FRCP) by Royal College of Physicians, London in 2016.
Previous and Current Post:
I was appointed as a rehabilitation consultant at University Hospital North Staffordshire from Jan 2012 to June 2012.
I then joined London Spinal Cord Injuries Centre, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore as a consultant in Spinal Injuries and Trauma Rehabilitation from June 2012 onwards.
I provide in-patient specialist spinal rehabilitation and management of complex spinal issues at The Wellington Hospital, London and The Royal Buckinghamshire Hospital, Aylesbury.
I was awarded " Best services for Tetraplegics" by Regain Sports charity in December 2016.
I have been regularly invited as a speaker by Spinal Injuries Association, and Back Up Trust for their academic study days for healthcare professionals, patients and carers.
I am a clinical supervisor for Rehabilitation Medicine specialist registrars of London Deanery.
Areas of interest
1) Spinal Injuries and Specialist Rehabilitation for traumatic and non traumatic spinal conditions including
A) Postoperative specialist Spinal rehabilitation
B) Chronic back pain and spondylosis
C) Management of Neuropathic pain
D) Rehabilitation of Cauda Equina Syndrome and Metastatic Spinal Cord Compression patients
2) Musculoskeletal and Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
A) Arthritis and B) Myofacial disorders
1) Management of Neuromuscular Spasticity with EMG/Ultrasound guided Botulinum Toxin injections
2) Botulinum Toxin injections for salivary glands (Hypersalivation) , Blepharospasm and Hyperhydrosis
3) Intra-articular injections
and Nerve Blocks
4) Management of spasticity with Intra-thecal Baclofen drug delivery system.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Spinal Injuries and Rehabilitation Medicine at London SCIC and Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Stanmore (June 2012 onwards).
1) Musculoskeletal problems (low back pain and shoulder dysfunction) in Acute and chronic spinal Cord Injuries
2) Osteoporosis after SCI
3) Depression following Spinal Cord Injury
4) Brain-Computer interface and use of EAT in “Locked in Syndrome”
5) Spinal Repair and Regeneration - Novel approaches with Stem cells and Pharmacological agents
6) Spinal Cord Injury with Polytrauma
7) Long term outcome in Cauda Equina Syndrome
8) Metastatic Spinal Cord Compression and Rehabilitation
1) Management of Neurological disability in elderly patients
2) Sexual dysfunction following Neurological disability
3) Rehabilitation of Metastatic spinal cord compression
3) Spasticity management
4) Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation
5) postgraduate, undergrauate and nursing teaching and education
1) Audit presentation at Multiple Sclerosis Trust Annual conference in 2009
2) Best Audit presentation on "Thromboprophylaxis and anti coagulation practice at London SCIC, Stanmore" - at Pan Thames BSRM Meeting at Hillingdon Hospital
English, Gujarati, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi
1) Habitual dislocation of Patella in Knee disarticulation stump in a patient of congenital Type 1 deficiency of Tibia – A case report- Journal Paediatric Orthopaedics B, 18:339-340, 2009
2) Clinical outcome of Dynesys spine stabilization system in degenerative lumbar Spine Disorders– SICOT/SIROT XXIV Triennial World Congress 24-28 August 2008
3) Clinical outcome of Proximal Humerus Fractures treated with Halder Humeral Nail- SICOT/SIROT XXIV Triennial World Congress 24-28 August 2008
4) Refractory Holmes’ Tremor in case of Midbrain and Proximal Brainstem infarct – challenge in Neurological rehabilitation – a case report – Journal of Movement Disorders (special edition), June 2008
5) Comparative Study of Rigid Versus Dynamic Spine Stabilization (DYNESYS) for Degenerative Lumbar Spine disorders- Journal Of Orthopaedics 2007;4(3)e7
6) Refractory Holme’s Tremor in Traumatic Brain Injury. - A case report on Use of Lycra splint. Published in Movement Disorder journal, June 2011 (special edition)
7) Postgraduate Thesis: “950 Condylar Blade Plate Fixation” in Extra-articular fractures of lower third of Femur.
8) "Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome" - A rare presentation and challenge in Spinal cord Injury Rehabilitation - published in Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine
Courses offered to GPs
1) Management of Acute and Chronic Spinal cord Injury
2) Spasticity management with Botulinum Toxin injections
3) Sexual dysfunction in Neurological Disability
4) Management of Neuropathic Pain
5) Management of DVT and Thromboprophylaxis in Neurological impairment
6) Common Musculoskeletal conditions and management
7) Pressure sore prevention and Management in community
8) Neurodisability and elderly patient
9) Neuropalliative care and Rehabilitation
10) Back Pain
11) Cauda Equina Syndrome
Very good to excellent patient satisfaction survey (100%) and feedback on survey at the time of appraisal.
- MBBS Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, India 1991
- MS (Trauma and Orthopaedics) Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, India 1994
- MRCS Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow 2006
- FRCP Royal College Of Physicians, London 2016
- CCT in Rehabilitation Medicine Northern Deanery, Newcastle upon Tyne 2012
Reference number 6083322
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant in Neurological Rehabilitation International Centre for Neurological Rehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry, Walkergate Park, Newcastle upon Tyne 2011
- Consultant in Trauma and Neurological Rehabilitation University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent 2012
- Consultant in Spinal Injuries and Trauma Rehabilitation The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in Rehabilitation Medicine, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
1) Member of TPMC for Rehabilitation Medicine for London Deanery
2) Royal College of Physicians, London
2) British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine
3) European Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
4) London Cancer Network
5) Cancer Strategy Board, RNOH
6) British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine
7) International Spinal Cord Society (ISCOS)
- Spire Bushey Hospital, WD23 1RD
- 14:00 - 15:30
- 020 8909 5843
- The wellington Hospital, London
- 15:30 - 20:00
- 07816 292515
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr M Desai Mobile number via Wellington Hospital switch board
Secretary Miss Yashvi on 07816292515 during evening hours on week days