- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Face-to-face consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 21 May 2020
- Skin cancer
I am a consultant dermatologist working both in the private sector and NHS. I treat adults and children.
My expertise is in
- suspicious skin lesions, skin cancer
- acne and related treatments
- use of laser for treating skin problems
- childrens' skin problems ranging from rashes, birthmarks to genetic skin disease
- difficult to heal leg ulcers
I have been the vice chair for regional skin cancer governing body for South Yorkshire and a senior lecturer for University of Sheffield. I am involved in active research and my current research is on effect of Covid-19 on immunological skin disease in children.
I am an associate editor for the high impact dermatology journal Clinical Experimental Dermatology and engaged in international training of dermatologists.
Areas of interest
Skin cancer, moles, lumps, bumps, tags, verruca, lumps, cysts, skin surgery of all sites;
Rashes, immune mediated skin disease, blistering skin conditions;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Adult and PAediatric Deraatologist
Salford Royal Hsopital,
Northern Care Alliance,
1. Vitamin D and immune mediated skin disease in children
2. Covid19 and immune mediated skin disease in children- longterm outcomes
3. Isotretinoin (Roaccutane) - safety of low dose regimen
4. Adult persistent acne
1. History of dermatology
2. Plants and chemicals relating to medicine
3. Insects, animals and pigment, patterning
5. Fund raising for research into fetal medicine
British Association of Dermatologists- Darrel Wilkinson Prize- History of Dermatology 2009
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Sinhala, Sinhalese - Native or bilingual
An historical account of dermatology in Buddhist Sri Lankan literature.
Elangasinghe V, Lee KY, Levell NJ.
Int J Dermatol. 2014 Mar;53(3):390-2. doi: 10.1111/ijd
Occupational hand dermatitis caused by benzoyl peroxide in transformer coil binding tape.
Elangasinghe V, Johnston G.
Contact Dermatitis. 2012 May;66(5):293. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0536.2012.02007.
Penicillin to prevent recurrent leg cellulitis.
Thomas KS, Crook AM, Nunn AJ, Foster KA, Mason JM, Chalmers JR, Nasr IS, Brindle RJ, English J, Meredith SK, Reynolds NJ, de Berker D, Mortimer PS, Williams HC; U.K. Dermatology Clinical Trials Network's PATCH I Trial Team.
N Engl J Med. 2013 May 2;368(18):1695-703. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1206300.
PMID: 23635049 Free article. Clinical Trial.
Studying a disease with no home--lessons in trial recruitment from the PATCH II study.
Thomas KS; UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network's PATCH study group.
Trials. 2010 Mar 2;11:22. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-11-22.
PMID: 20196846 Free PMC article. Clinical Trial.
BMJ 2009; 339 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b4399 (Published 28 October 2009)
Cite this as: BMJ 2009;339:b4399
Amlodipine related unilateral eye lid swelling
Courses offered to GPs
Forum Dermatology, Sheffield- 3 monthly dermatology interactive case based discussion programme
1. Skin cancer- incomplete excision rate 1% (published standard 2-11%)
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2007
- MBBS University of Colombo 2001
- MRCP Dermatology Royal College of Physicians 2010
Reference number 6027383
Affiliations / memberships
British Association of Dermatologists- Member
British Hair and Nail Society- Member
North of England Dermatology Society- Member
British Society of Paediatric Dermatology
Dowling Club- Member
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.