- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a specialist Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) surgeon, currently working as an ENT consultant at Salisbury Foundation Trust. I completed my postgraduate higher surgical training in Wessex in 2010 and was honorary clinical fellow in 2011 to leaders in the field of Otology, Cochlear Implant and Skull Base surgery in Sydney, Australia.
I am passionate about delivering the highest patient care. I won a 'Customer Care - Individual' highly commended award at Salisbury Foundation Trust in 2012 for excellent patient-centered care.
I have extensive training in all aspects of ENT. I manage and treat general ear, nose and throat disorders. I have a specialist interest in Otology (Ear Surger) and am lead ENT clinician for the Spires cleft lip and palate service at Salisbury, twinned with Oxford.
Research remains vital to medical advancements. I have published numerous papers in peer-reviewed journals and given national and international presentations. I have collaborated with clinicians in related fields.
I believe that training the next generation of doctors, nurses and allied staff is fundamental to ensuring future first-class patient care. I have been nominated for the Health Education in Wessex 'Shine Awards' in recognition of excellence in education and training. I have completed courses in clinical and educational supervision and am an undergraduate examiner at Southampton University.
I take part in management projects to optimise patient care, maximise efficiency and promote patient safety. I am a member of the joint hospital theater efficiency work-group, comprising both clinicians and hospital managers.
I especially enjoy working as a team member. As the Salisbury Spires cleft palate center ENT lead, I frequently liaise and collaborate with a wide range of professionals e.g. plastic and maxillofacial surgeons, speech and language therapists, paediatricians, psychologists and audiologists. I contribute to an annual national audit of audiologic outcomes in cleft plate children aged 2, 5 and 10 years, to ensure their hearing outcomes are good, and, if not, that their needs are addressed. As a result I have designed an ENT / audiology care pathway.
I am an enthusiastic, motivated, approachable and hard working surgeon who always puts his patients best interests first.
Areas of interest
Otology; Deafness; Hearing loss; Hearing aids; Dizziness; Vertigo; Tinnitus; Hearing Restoration; Grommet Insertion; Ventilation tube insertion; Myringoplasty;Tympanoplasty; Cholesteatoma surgery; Mastoid Surgery; Ossiculoplasty; Otosclerosis; Stapedectomy; Bone Anchored Hearing Aid Surgery; BAHA; Meniere's Disease; Menieres disease; Tinnitus; Rhinology; Nasal congestion; Rhinorrhea; Loss of sense of smell; Anosmia; Nasal polyps; Sinusitis; Rhinitis; Allergy; Post nasal drip; Tonsillitis; Tonsillectomy; Adenoidectomy; Swallowing; Hoarseness; Snoring; Sleep apnoea; Cleft lip; Cleft palate;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant ENT Surgeon, Salisbury Foundation Trust, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 8BJ, U.K.
I am currently involved with a wide range of national research projects
2014 Nomination: Shine Awards: High performing education and training team of the Year, Health education, Wessex
2012 'Customer Care- Individual' Highly Commended Award, Salisbury District Hospitals NHS Trust, 2012.
2008 2nd place, RSM Inaugural National Temporal Bone Competition, Guys Hospital, London, UK
1990 Rand Water Academic Scholarship
1. Geyer M, Howell-Jones R, Cunningham R, McNulty C. Consensus of microbiologic reporting of ear swab results in patients with otitis externa. B J Biomed Science. 2011:68(4):174-180.
2. Geyer M, Tan N, Ismail-Koch H, Puxeddu R. A simple closure technique for reversal of tracheo-esophageal puncture. Am J Otolaryngol 2011:32(6):627-30. (Epub 9 Feb 2011.)
3. Geyer M, Ledda G, Tan N, Puxeddu R. C02 Laser-assisted phonosurgery for Benign Glottic Lesions. Eur Arch Otolaryngol 2010;267(1):87-93.
4. Ismail-Koch, H, Heathcote, K, Geyer M, Moore IE, Prior M. Extraosseous Giant Cell Tumour of the pinna presenting in a child: Case report and review of the literature. The Internet Journal of Otorhinolaryngology 2010;12(1).
5. Geyer M, Howell-Jones R, Cunningham R, McNulty C. Consensus of microbiologic reporting of ear swab results in patients with otitis externa. Clin Otolaryngol 2009;34(s1):49 & 105. (Abstract)
6. Butcher A, Geyer M, Nilssen E. Long term neurological outcome of patients with malignant otitis externa. Clin Otolaryngol 2009;34(s1):108. (Abstract)
7. Hunter B, Desai K, Vaz F, Coehlo J, Tysome J, Geyer, M. Re-audit of the new format 'an introduction to ENT' course. Clin Otolaryngol 2009;34(s1):59. (Abstract)
8. Geyer M, Ledda GP, Tan N, Brennan P, Puxeddu R. Carbon Dioxide Laser-assisted Phonosurgery for Benign Glottic lesions. Clin Otolaryngol 2009;34(s1):92. (Abstract)
9. Upile T, Jerjes W, Harini S, Singh SU, Geyer M, Bentley M, Hopper C, Sudhoff H. Salivary VEGF: a non-invasive angiogenic and lymphangiogenic proxy in head and neck cancer prognostication. Int Arch Med 2009;2(1):12.
10. Geyer M, Kulamarva G, Davies A. Wegeners granulomatosis presenting with an abscess in parotid gland. JMCR 2009;19(3).
11. Geyer M, Ledda G, Tan N, Puxeddu R. C02 Laser-assisted Phonosurgery for Benign Glottic Lesions. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008;139(2):48. (Abstract)
12. Geyer M, Nilssen E. Evidence based management of a patient with anosmia. Clin Otolaryngol 2008;33(5):466-69.
13. Geyer M, Kubba H, Hartley B. Experience of tracheocutaneous fistula closure in children. Clin Otolaryngol 2008;33(4):367-69.
14. Anand R, Geyer M, Ethunandan M, Ilankovan V
1. . Nasopharyngeal tube facilitates endoscopic monitoring of pharyngeal flaps. Clin Otolaryngol 2007;33(2):171-73.
Reference number 4345697
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Aural toilet (including microsuction and/or suction of exteriorised mastoid cavity) including bilateral - (5-50)
Endoscopic laryngo-pharyngoscopy as sole outpatient procedure +/- stroboscopy - (5-50)
Diagnostic endoscopy of sinus and bilateral (as sole procedure) - (1-5)
Myringotomy and insertion of tube through tympanic membrane (and bilateral) - (1-5)
Fibre optic examination of the pharynx +/- biopsy/removal of foreign body - (1-5)
- Show All (8)...