- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
Mr Self is an Associate Professor and Consultant Ophthalmologist. He sees both adults and children and has expertise in genetic eye disease, paediatric cataract, adult cataract and has a research and clinical interest in nystagmus and albinism.
Mr Self leads regional subspecialist services in paediatrics, nystagmus, albinism and oculo-genetic disorders and is an advisor to many patient run support organisations. He is a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists paediatric sub-committee, academic sub-committee and genomics working group. He is a nationally recognised expert in paediatric eye disorders and in the management and treatment of nystagmus and albinism.
Further information about Mr Self can be seen here:
Areas of interest
Cataract;Childhood cataract;Paediatric cataract;Genetic eye disease;Nystagmus;Albinism
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist at University Hospital Southampton
MRC Clinical Research Training Fellowship
Multiple grants and awards totalling >£1.2M for research
National Bioscience Award for communication (nominated)
36 publications in the past 5 years in addition to opinions articles, media articles, radio and television appearances and public engagement activities.
Courses offered to GPs
- Bachelor of medicine University of Southampton 1999
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2012
- PhD in Ophthalmic genetics University of Southampton 2009
- Paediatric Ophthalmology Fellowship (1yr) Manchester Royal Infirmary 2012
Reference number 4625661
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of Paediatric Subcommittee for RCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2019
- Member of Academic Subcommittee for RCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2019
- Undergraduate Ophthalmology Lead University of Southampton 2018
- Member of the genomics working group for RCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.